Gunman kills 12, wounds 30 at Fort Hood

Pliny,

The granting of privilege and rights by government to "special interests" or "pressure groups" is a major block to social harmony. The majority used to be the privileged and laws reflected that privilege when they shouldn't have but there was more unity. Now governments have learned that they can engineer society by granting "privilege" but mistakenly call it a "right".

Sorry, but it's all too vague for me. By your logic, the poor are a "special interest" that receive a "privilege" of welfare.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a surprise — that someone who shouts “Allahu Akbar” (the “God is great” jihadist battle cry) as he is shooting up a room of American soldiers might have Islamist motives. It certainly was a surprise to the mainstream media, which spent the weekend after the Fort Hood massacre downplaying Nidal Hasan’s religious beliefs.

“I cringe that he’s a Muslim … I think he’s probably just a nut case,” said Newsweek’s Evan Thomas. Some were more adamant. Time’s Joe Klein decried “odious attempts by Jewish extremists ... to argue that the massacre perpetrated by Nidal Hasan was somehow a direct consequence of his Islamic beliefs.”

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2009/11/14/charles-krauthammer-medicalizing-mass-murder.aspx#ixzz0WqygSi9u

The New Financial Post Stock Market Challenge starts in October. You could WIN your share of $60,000 in prizing. Register NOW

Charles Krautham

Argus,

I have my own issues with some of the veracity of what Horowitz claims from time to time, but terming anything he says "hate literature" seems more than just slightly over the top. I didn't hear the "diatribe" you mention but without any specific citation (I went to the wikipedia page and found nothing resembling hate literature) I would have to question even your definition of what constitutes hate literature.

He said that a Muslim student group was founded to bring jihad to higher education, for example. He's clearly trying to drive a wedge between groups in society, IMO. He speaks of "black progressives who kill people". Very divisive, and you get a stronger feeling for it when it's delivered over radio rather than in print. That said, he's very careful at crafting his words so that he stirs hatred without saying anything that directly espouses racial hate policy.

Argus,

He said that a Muslim student group was founded to bring jihad to higher education, for example.

What he said "from Wiki" was that it was a radical political group founded by members of the Muslim Brotherhood. That would appear to be a claim which ought to be easily confirmed or denied. However, curiously, Wiki, though having a separate entry on them, says nothing about who founded them, and nothing about "controversy" which is a normal part of many such entries. I am therefore unable to condemn Horowitz on this without further informtion on the group.

Do YOU have further information this group and its founding which causes you to dismiss Horowitz' claim?

He's clearly trying to drive a wedge between groups in society, IMO. He speaks of "black progressives who kill people". Very divisive,

Divisiveness is not hate, and he's also pro-gay-rights, which is not something you normally find among hatemongers.

What he said "from Wiki" was that it was a radical political group founded by members of the Muslim Brotherhood. That would appear to be a claim which ought to be easily confirmed or denied. However, curiously, Wiki, though having a separate entry on them, says nothing about who founded them, and nothing about "controversy" which is a normal part of many such entries. I am therefore unable to condemn Horowitz on this without further informtion on the group.

Do YOU have further information this group and its founding which causes you to dismiss Horowitz' claim?

Divisiveness is not hate, and he's also pro-gay-rights, which is not something you normally find among hatemongers.

I don't care about his liberal leanings. I even read that he used to be friends with the Black Panthers himself. I'm not sure what his issues are.

The claim is likely true, and as I said he can word things so as to evade prosecution for defaming people, but the phrase is deceptive and divisive IMO. He is smart enough to use the laws of freedom of expression in the US to exact a lot of damage, and not much positive force. The only postive thing one can say in his defense, IMO, is that he has the right to say it.

There have to be limits on those who advocate violence. Do you want a charismatic Muslim Imam to be entirely free to get up in front of crowds of gullible young men every day and scream about how God demands they kill on his behalf, that they destroy the evil non-believers?

I'd prefere it out in the open than behind mosque doors. This way I know where to shine that little red laser.

There have to be limits on those who advocate violence. Do you want a charismatic Muslim Imam to be entirely free to get up in front of crowds of gullible young men every day and scream about how God demands they kill on his behalf, that they destroy the evil non-believers?

You mean like Reverend "God Damn America" Wright?