Gunman kills 12, wounds 30 at Fort Hood

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

An Army psychiatrist opened fire Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, killing 12 people and wounding 31 others, before being shot and captured, military officials said.

The gunman, identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, was wounded multiple times at the scene but was captured alive and was in stable condition, Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, commanding general of the Army’s III Corps, said at a press conference late Thursday.

A terrible incident.

My thoughts are with U.S. service personnel over this horrific attack.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shrink snapped. Looked like terrorism at first because there was supposed to be three of them involved....but now I hear tale it's just this fellow plus he's alive.

You got to wonder though. That many dead and wounded and he only had two 15 shot pistols? That guy is like Sgt Rock in terms of reloading and such under fire.

Obama is not immune to foot in mouth.

After news broke out of the shooting at the Fort Hood Army post in Texas, the nation watched in horror as the toll of dead and injured climbed. The White House was notified immediately and by late afternoon, word went out that the president would speak about the incident prior to a previously scheduled appearance. At about 5 p.m., cable stations went to the president. The situation cled for not only his trademark eloquence, but also grace and perspective.

But instead of a somber chief executive offering reassuring words and expressions of sympathy and compassion, viewers saw a wildly disconnected and, inappropriately light president making introductory remarks. At the event, a Tribal Nations Conference hosted by the Department of Interior's Bureau of Indian affairs, the president thanked various staffers and offered a "shout-out" to "Dr. Joe Medicine Crow -- that Congressional Medal of Honor winner." Three minutes in, the president spoke about the shooting, in measured and appropriate terms. Who is advising him?

Anyone at home aware of the major news story of the previous hours had to have been stunned. An incident like this requires a scrapping of the early light banter. The president should apologize for the tone of his remarks, explain what has happened, express sympathy for those slain and appeal for calm and patience until all the facts are in. That's the least that should occur.

Indeed, an argument could be made that Obama should have canceled the Indian event, out of respect for people having been murdered at an Army post a few hours before. That would have prevented any sort of jarring emotional switch at the event.

Did the president's team not realize what sort of image they were presenting to the country at this moment? The disconnect between what Americans at home knew had been going on -- and the initial words coming out of their president's mouth was jolting, if not disturbing.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/politics/A-Disconnected-President.html

This is one boner that Obama and his team cannot undo.

Obama is not immune to foot in mouth.

It is a little hard to take Robert George at face value on this given his conservative credentials.

I can imagine that Obama's remarks either before or after the native meeting would have met with his scorn.

The conference was an important thing. The business of the nation goes on.

For example, today's news conference covered employment figures and the shooting. You think Obama should cancel remarks on employment numbers?

Edited by jdobbin

Guest American Woman

It is a little hard to take Robert George at face value on this given his conservative credentials.

I can imagine that Obama's remarks either before or after the native meeting would have met with his scorn.

I wonder if Robert George was equally upset that Bush kept reading to grade school students as the 9-11 attacks took place, and if he was equally critical of Bush's "now watch this drive?" comment to the press....

When I heard Obama speak of the tragedy, his message was totally somber and appropriate.

It's a terrible thing that happened. I couldn't get it out of my mind when I first heard about it. It's difficult to figure how someone who didn't want to be deployed could kill other innocent soldiers in the same situation.

Edited by American Woman

It's clearly a very tragic and disturbing story. As more information becomes available through the media, it's apparent that the killer's religious/ideological/cultural perspectives were his motivation for his mass murder. He viewed the war on terrorism as a pseudonym for a war on Islam, and drew moral equivalence between American soldiers and suicide bomber terrorists. The sad thing is that I see many people who share this man's perspectives all over the place. Just peruse these very forums and one will quickly find posts that justify terrorists, support Islamic extremists, make absurd claims of an imagined American imperialism, etc, etc... There are many sick people out there, and many of them live among us.

A terrible tragedy.

A mental health professional that wasn't mentally healthy.

Even more tragic -it will come out that he was off his meds and the left will most likely sympathize with him.

I speculate that this man was in perfect mental health, and was motivated to commit this mass murder based on warped perspectives shaped by his religion/politics/culture.

Topaz - He tried to bail on his obligations for service. After MASSIVE investment from the American military into his education (with other expenses covered - benefits, accommodation, wages), he tried to slip out of his side of the commitment. He is a weasel who tried to milk the system. Please spare me the lies that he "offered to pay" in order to get out of his service. He clearly was in NO position to pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars that were invested into him. I cannot wait for swift justice and execution of this animal.

I speculate that this man was in perfect mental health, and was motivated to commit this mass murder based on warped perspectives shaped by his religion/politics/culture.

Topaz - He tried to bail on his obligations for service. After MASSIVE investment from the American military into his education (with other expenses covered - benefits, accommodation, wages), he tried to slip out of his side of the commitment. He is a weasel who tried to milk the system. Please spare me the lies that he "offered to pay" in order to get out of his service. He clearly was in NO position to pay the hundreds of thousands of dollars that were invested into him. I cannot wait for swift justice and execution of this animal.

This is the 'he went nutz' thread. You want the other thread.

:lol:

Hasan was ‘mortified’ about deployment

Nader Hasan said his cousin never mentioned in recent phone calls to Virginia that he was going to be deployed, and he said the family was shocked when it heard the news on television Thursday afternoon.

“He was doing everything he could to avoid that,” Mr. Hasan said. “He wanted to do whatever he could within the rules to make sure he wouldn’t go over.”

Several years ago, that included retaining a lawyer and making inquiries about whether he could get out of the Army before his contract was up, because of the harassment he had received as a Muslim. But Nader Hasan said the lawyer had told his cousin that even if he paid the Army back for his education, it would not allow him to leave before his commitment was up.

“I think he gave up that fight and was just doing his time,” Mr. Hasan said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33704314/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/

It seems that if he has the freedom not to be deployed to Afghanistan, this tragedy might be avoided.

It seems that if he has the freedom not to be deployed to Afghanistan, this tragedy might be avoided.

That's not freedom you're referring to, it's the right for one party of a contract to nullify that contract. Surely you can see that it would be impossible to structure a legal system if that were possible.

Guest American Woman
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33704314/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/

One could say if one had the "freedom" to do whatever they wanted in spite of commitments/responsibilities, a lot of things might be avoided.

He had other choices. Others who have protested going have chosen not to go, and not one of them killed a single person. He could have refused to go and served a lot less jail time than the prison time he will be facing now, for example.

When a person snaps like he did, it's not normal, so I think saying "it may have been avoided if ..." is really not pertinent, and if he has the choice not to go, then everyone who signs up for the military should by the same token have the "right" to decline any assignment they don't want to do. If that were the case, I don't think the military would be very effective.

As for the "harassment" he received for being a Muslim, all I could find to support that claim is someone ripping the "Allah is love" bumper sticker off of his car.

Edited by American Woman

I don't see how his act is an example of "perfect mental health" and simply a "warped perspective". It hadn't even been a day and there were those claiming he was a good American.

You are obviously not a lefty and it was indeed the evil act of a brute. Drugs do strange things and I do not mean to imply they are an excuse.

I cannot wait for swift justice and execution of this animal.

This warped individual planned this massacre in detail and did not intend to survive. He was the perfect terrorist sleeper cell. Unfortunately, I doubt justice will be swift. I expect a multitude of layers are lining up to defend this cretin. I think the terrorist and his gaggle of lawyers will try every legal trick to turn the blame on the military authorities because they failed to act on their suspicions. Hell, they may even ask for compensation for his family. Bleeding hearts and pragmatics will be polarized and a circus will ensue. I know the shrinks hope he survives so they can analyze his thinking and motives. Yet personally, I would have liked to have seen his jihadist body riddled with as many bullets as he shot into his victims.