By Elections Quebec (Part 2)

madmax

Who will win in these two by elections  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dumb poll, and dumb thread.

In general, posters on this forum do not know these ridings, or who will win these byelections. They have nothing intelligent to say about these byelections.

So enlighten us.

You don't think the BQ will win both? My view is that the gun registry issue might play to their strengths.

I drove through Hochelaga this evening. I predict that the BQ will win but the NDP will come second. (There are posters of Jack Layton!)

In Kamouraska, Harper has a chance.

Harper might have had a chance. I think it was lost on the gun registry for both ridings.

Harper might have had a chance. I think it was lost on the gun registry for both ridings.

You don't know Kamouraska.

It is sad that both the PQ and the BQ have become urban parties. In fact, Quebec solidaire is the Left equivalent of the ADQ - another urban leftist party.

How many times can NDP, nationalist-leftists (fascists) divide?

Edited by August1991

You don't know Kamouraska.

I do know that the registry is an issue in the riding and in Quebec. You think they don't support the registry there?

It is sad that both the PQ and the BQ have become urban parties. In fact, Quebec solidaire is the Left equivalent of the ADQ - another urban leftist party.

How many times can NDP, nationalist-leftists (fascists) divide?

How many times can Harper be out of tune with Quebec?

I think it is not a winning issue in Quebec to to scrap the registry.

Where are the Liberals?

I suspect in fourth place in one of the ridings. In the other, they may squeak out a third.

I think the NDP hurt themselves with some voting to end the gun registry. The BQ could win big.

Edited by jdobbin

Dumb poll, and dumb thread.

Thanks for being a part. :P

In general, posters on this forum do not know these ridings, or who will win these byelections. They have nothing intelligent to say about these byelections.

No we don't. That is why I look forward to reading your comments. I separated the poll into two

parts on purpose and because MLW polls stop at 3 question ;)

I think it is important to have all the by elections represented. I think it would have been wrong for me to ignore the ones in Quebec.

MLW is about educating us as much as pretending to be know it alls.

I do know that the registry is an issue in the riding and in Quebec. You think they don't support the registry there?
Registry? It's an urban issue.

Dobbin, you must understand that there is an overriding issue in Quebec: sovereignty. And everything, even the installation of a street lamp, is interpreted according to this issue. Remember Bush's line about terrorists? "If you're not against them, you're for them?" The same is true in Quebec about sovereignty. So, a question about the gun registry invariably turns into an issue about sovereignty.

People are very, very tired of this kind of politics and they are trying to find a way out. The ADQ was one attempt. Quebec solidaire is another.

Thanks for being a part. :P

No we don't. That is why I look forward to reading your comments. I separated the poll into two

parts on purpose and because MLW polls stop at 3 question ;)

I think it is important to have all the by elections represented. I think it would have been wrong for me to ignore the ones in Quebec.

MLW is about educating us as much as pretending to be know it alls.

Whadda I know?

The BQ will win Hochelaga, full stop. On Monday evening, look for the second place finisher - the NDP may possibly get it. The Conservatives will be fourth.

In Kamouraska, the Conservatives have a strong local candidate. But here's a detail to consider: Layton and Duceppe have visited the riding three times each. Ignatieff has also been there. Harper? Not once during the byelection.

I can understand why Harper is doing this but I would have advised him differently. (But then, compared to staffers in the PMO, I get to sleep in and spend weekends with my family. Compared to Harper's press secretary - my kids see me in person rather than on TV.)

Edited by August1991

Registry? It's an urban issue.

So people outside Quebec cities are big on long guns?

Dobbin, you must understand that there is an overriding issue in Quebec: sovereignty. And everything, even the installation of a street lamp, is interpreted according to this issue. Remember Bush's line about terrorists? "If you're not against them, you're for them?" The same is true in Quebec about sovereignty. People are very, very tired of this kind of politics and they aretrying to find a way out. The ADQ was one attempt. Quebec solidaire is another.

I believe it has been a few pollsters inside and outside of Quebec that have said in a low turnout by-election, the three federal parties exposed themselves on the long gun issue which is important in Quebec.

So people outside Quebec cities are big on long guns?
Alot of people hunt in Quebec. (I don't but my brother-in-law does.)

The gun registry raises several unrelated issues in Quebec and so people don't say what they really think. As I say, every issue is invariably (and sadly) filtered through the question of sovereignty.

----

The Conservatives have a strong local candidate and Harper has apparently chosen to leave him alone to manage the campaign. We'll see if that strategy works. (BTW, the polls close at 9:30 pm local time. For those interested, it may be a late night.)

Edited by August1991

That the dominant issue in Quebec is sovereignty. I see no evidence of that. There are certainly staunch federalists and staunch separatists, but to say that the issue permeates every aspect of Quebec life...well, I see no evidence of that anywhere.

• Downvote 1

Alot of people hunt in Quebec. (I don't but my brother-in-law does.)

The gun registry raises several unrelated issues in Quebec and so people don't say what they really think. As I say, every issue is invariably (and sadly) filtered through the question of sovereignty.

So if the BQ is opposed, it will earn support from the voters there?

The Conservatives have a strong local candidate and Harper has apparently chosen to leave him alone to manage the campaign. We'll see if that strategy works. (BTW, the polls close at 9:30 pm local time. For those interested, it may be a late night.)

You said Ignatieff went to a riding? Hill Times said he has avoided campaigning since it was thought it wouldn't help in ridings that would have been hard to win even the numbers were 5 or 6 points up.

I'll be watching but my expectation is that all the seats should be retained barring any last minute unexpected developments.

That the dominant issue in Quebec is sovereignty. I see no evidence of that. There are certainly staunch federalists and staunch separatists, but to say that the issue permeates every aspect of Quebec life...well, I see no evidence of that anywhere.
I'm sorry to be insulting.

Smallc, you are a leftist with the name "smallc". I'm not surprised that you are clueless. I suggest that you change your name to "small-leftist".

my name is a play on words which can be seen. It says smallc and rihgt under it, as in just a little. I don't see how that's relevant to the point though. You claim sovereignty is the underlying factor when it comes to every event in Quebec life. I think some evidence would be in order given the implications of the assertion.

• Downvote 1