Gun Registry about to go bye bye!

wulf42

Oh-oh, the secret agenda lives!

I heard the Tories are going to give every adult an automatic weapon and force children to learn how to shoot.

Why act like a donkey all the time? The Tory promise is to get rid of the gun registry. It isn't a secret.

It wasn't limited to only getting rid of one part of it. It was the entire registry.

Or are you trying to tell me that if the long guns are removed, the Tories intend to enforce the handgun portion of the registry? Is that what you are trying to say?

Why act like a donkey all the time? The Tory promise is to get rid of the gun registry. It isn't a secret.

It wasn't limited to only getting rid of one part of it. It was the entire registry.

Or are you trying to tell me that if the long guns are removed, the Tories intend to enforce the handgun portion of the registry? Is that what you are trying to say?

Look folks the deal here is pretty complicated. Criminals don't have to buy guns in stores, and they don't have to go through the process of registration either. There is a steady and growing market for illegal firearms in this country, in part because of the registry. Unless you go the route of making all firearms illegal then begin a process of picking them up and destroying them there just isn't very many ways to address the problem. Aside from that this is really a matter of property ownership which is actually under the jurisdiction of the provinces, the gun registry was carved into the criminal code to circumvent provincial control and create a national standard. In essence a turf war between the feds and the province over control of the issue.

I can see that there is great division in this nation over this issue. I can also see the citizens desire to reduce gun crimes as the driving force behind the registry. The problem is that the registry simply hasn't provided the measures and result that the government wanted. For that reason citizens see the expense as a waste of tax dollars. It is time to rethink the entire mess and come up with a workable solution.

I am in favour of eliminating the long gun registry.

If they had gone with a registry light (send us the S/N's of the guns you own please so we can put them in a database)and made it clear they would return lost or stolen weapons to their rightful owners provided they weren't evidence in a crime, it would probably have got more support. Instead they spent a bazillion dollars on a system that came down like Godzilla on law abiding gun owners, pissing them all off and implying they were criminals because they objected to being treated like s***. In short, the government royally screwed the whole thing up. AARG.

Perhaps, but Jackboots Layton rarely allows his party to vote any way except whatever 'party policy' determines on purportedly free votes.

I don't think he's allowed to whip a private members bill vote....oh, and as for the Senate, well, come January, that won't be a problem...I doubt it will be a problem anyway.

Can you provide a link to this I've never seen anyone argue for getting rid of the handgun part of the registry.

The Tories have been arguing that it is illegal handguns that are the problem and that the registry in general is wasteful.

Harper back in 2006 made this pledge instead.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051207/elxn_martin_handguns_051208/20051208?s_name=election2006

Conservative leader Stephen Harper, meanwhile, issued a statement Thursday saying he supports tough gun control. He added that a Conservative government would:

crack down on illegal gun use;

stop the flow of illegal guns at our border; and

bring in mandatory minimum prison sentences.

The gun control Harper wanted was punishment and policing on the streets and not the registry.

The Tories have been arguing that it is illegal handguns that are the problem and that the registry in general is wasteful.

Harper back in 2006 made this pledge instead.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051207/elxn_martin_handguns_051208/20051208?s_name=election2006

The gun control Harper wanted was punishment and policing on the streets and not the registry.

In this debate they've always stressed the long gun part of the registry. Once again when has anyone even mused about getting rid of the registry completely.

The gun registry really is not needed anyway,every legal firearm owner

in Canada has to have a firearm License either a POL or a PAL..

so i am sure if the police need to know who possibly has a weapon

they could track it through that method. The one thing about the

License process i disagree with is i own a Remington Bolt action

rifle .303 and currently hold a POL but if i want to acquire a similiar

weapon i have to upgrade to a Pal....seems kind of stupid to make

me take a training course to obtain a class of weapon i already own?

The restrictions on handguns however should stay the same as they

are now but the non restricted weapon course should only be for young

hunters or shooters new to firearms not 40-50 year old people who have

hunted since they were kids.

Only long guns.

The end of the handgun registry happens if the Tories get a majority.

That is just a desperate, dumb comment. When has anyone ever even hinted any such thing? Conservatives would be up in arms (pardon the pun) along with every other law-abiding citizen in this country. That is NOT something that any sane person would even contemplate.

Edited by Keepitsimple

The gun registry was spawned by the same forces that force anger management courses on assertive husbands and males in general. These little weasils assume that men shoot their wives when they get their nickers in a knot. No one is looking at the cultural and crimminal aspects of gangsterism on the street level...no one is taking the guns away from the black lunitics who pop you in the head for dising them with the wrong glance. As for the registry at this point - may as well keep the records that exist - BUT - The nation must take a serious look why men are behaving like cowards and resort to weapons to settle scores and to dominate others.

The gun registry was spawned by the same forces that force anger management courses on assertive husbands and males in general. These little weasils assume that men shoot their wives when they get their nickers in a knot. No one is looking at the cultural and crimminal aspects of gangsterism on the street level...no one is taking the guns away from the black lunitics who pop you in the head for dising them with the wrong glance. As for the registry at this point - may as well keep the records that exist - BUT - The nation must take a serious look why men are behaving like cowards and resort to weapons to settle scores and to dominate others.

I don't think so Oleg. As a matter of fact its sounds if you could use some anger management yourself, it seems you have a chip on your shoulder. Your racism is showing again as well.

That is just a desperate, dumb comment. When has anyone ever even hinted any such thing? Conservatives would be up in arms (pardon the pun) along with every other law-abiding citizen in this country. That is NOT something that any sane person would even contemplate.

Harper himself has said that the registration in ineffective. Are you saying that he won't end the handgun registry in favour of punishment and policing?

In this debate they've always stressed the long gun part of the registry. Once again when has anyone even mused about getting rid of the registry completely.

They've also talked about the ineffectiveness of the registry and how it is just a constraint on legal owners.

I don't think so Oleg. As a matter of fact its sounds if you could use some anger management yourself, it seems you have a chip on your shoulder. Your racism is showing again as well.

That's a typical rhetorical..you must be young and conditioned. Anger management by design is a feminist agenda controled and contrived by powerful males. I call most forms of supposed anger, righteous indignation. If you so much as raise your voice or assert yourself - and if you are from the poorer economic strata..they de-ball you - I have seen a passive pregnant woman who raised her voice in self protection be force by the court into one of these silly and insidious de-humanising anger courses....what was she going to do - beat the male on the head with the baby after giving birth..

As for calling me a racist, that is a dire insult. I look at all people for what they are and the quality that they are. It's a simple fact that poor and disadvantaged blacks shoot each other...It is the courts that are racists not me...The judicary seem to have a policy of catch and release..They grant bail to young black gang bangers caught with guns - because they know that the blacks will go out and kill more blacks - In fact when I lived in the east end ghetto of Toronto - I would warn black gang bangers of the policy that tacitly exist in court . AND I know for a fact that one gentlemen that I used to know who appointed judges hates blacks - I am sure his personal agenda is reflected within the court system...so shut up .....

He's got a point, though. Canada has never had a gun problem. Certain communities in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal have a gun problem.

Badgering farmers and hunters because Vancouver drug-gangsters keep assassinating each other doesn't make much sense.

Law enforcement officials love the long gun registry, but not for the reasons advertised. They access it frequently, but not for purposes of solving crimes. They're accessing it so that they know if there are guns on site when they get called to routine calls. Register your rifle or shotgun, and you're basically asking the police to assume you're "armed and dangerous" if they're ever called to your home.

-k

That's a typical rhetorical..you must be young and conditioned. Anger management by design is a feminist agenda controled and contrived by powerful males. I call most forms of supposed anger, righteous indignation. If you so much as raise your voice or assert yourself - and if you are from the poorer economic strata..they de-ball you - I have seen a passive pregnant woman who raised her voice in self protection be force by the court into one of these silly and insidious de-humanising anger courses....what was she going to do - beat the male on the head with the baby after giving birth..

As for calling me a racist, that is a dire insult. I look at all people for what they are and the quality that they are. It's a simple fact that poor and disadvantaged blacks shoot each other...It is the courts that are racists not me...The judicary seem to have a policy of catch and release..They grant bail to young black gang bangers caught with guns - because they know that the blacks will go out and kill more blacks - In fact when I lived in the east end ghetto of Toronto - I would warn black gang bangers of the policy that tacitly exist in court . AND I know for a fact that one gentlemen that I used to know who appointed judges hates blacks - I am sure his personal agenda is reflected within the court system...so shut up .....

I can take anything you dish out Oleg. Telling me to shut up won't do you much good, but keep on swingin'. If I wasn't sure before I made the racist comment I sure as hell am now. Your kind disgust me.

Harper himself has said that the registration in ineffective. Are you saying that he won't end the handgun registry in favour of punishment and policing?

Now you're getting childish....c'mon Dobbin, you're above this kind of stuff. It's always been about long guns. To answer your question - we will always have a handgun registration system......and rightly so....but I hope he does manage to beef up policing and administer fair justice for gun crimes. Maybe I still haven't been clear...Harper will never, ever, ever even think of ending the handgun register - which has been in effect since 1938. I might as well start spreading a rumour that the Liberals will next want to register water pistols.....that rumour would have the same credibility as yours.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Did Harper ever say he would eliminate the handgun registry? Do you have evidence that he plans to?

It's always been about long guns. To answer your question - we will always have a handgun registration system

You see I can remember the Reform and Alliance meetings about gun registration in general and I know Harper has said the registration is ineffective. And this was before the long guns were added. So I gotta ask you if he doesn't believe it is effective, why would he bother to continue with it?

......and rightly so....but I hope he does manage to beef up policing and administer fair justice for gun crimes. Maybe I still haven't been clear...Harper will never, ever, ever even think of ending the handgun register - which has been in effect since 1938. I might as well start spreading a rumour that the Liberals will next want to register water pistols.....that rumour would have the same credibility as yours.

So if Harper ever does end the handgun registry, you will end your association with the party or will you say what Harper has which is the registry is ineffective?

You see I can remember the Reform and Alliance meetings about gun registration in general and I know Harper has said the registration is ineffective. And this was before the long guns were added. So I gotta ask you if he doesn't believe it is effective, why would he bother to continue with it?

So if Harper ever does end the handgun registry, you will end your association with the party or will you say what Harper has which is the registry is ineffective?

How about you answer first wheres the proof. Don't change the subject now.

There seems to be a lot of talk about Harper the Gun Registry, I would just like to put his history on it out there.

"In a surprise move, Calgary Reform MP Stephen Harper voted for the bill -- the lone member of his party to do so -- because a clear majority of his constituents favor gun control. ‘I felt I was obliged to support their position.’ Mr. Harper said he had discussed his vote with party leader Preston Manning, who urged him to support his constituents' wishes.” – Hamilton Spectator, 6 April 1995"