Calgary Flames Get H1N1 Vaccine Before Public

An unidentified Alberta health care worker who allowed the Calgary Flames hockey team and players' families to privately receive H1N1 vaccinations last week has been fired and more disciplinary action against other staff members may follow, Alberta Health Services announced this afternoon.

“The decision to allow preferential access to the Flames and their families was a serious error in judgment on the part of the staff involved,” Stephen Duckett, who is president and chief executive officer of the board that governs health delivery in the province, said in a statement.

In issuing the short statement this afternoon, Dr. Duckett said distribution of the vaccine is supposed to be equitable to all Albertans.

Source: The Globe & Mail

What are your thoughts on the matter? It's not something out of the ordinary for NHL players in Canada to receive extraordinary private treatment. It took my mother almost 6 months to get an MRI - these players get one 15 minutes after an injury!

What are your thoughts on the matter? It's not something out of the ordinary for NHL players in Canada to receive extraordinary private treatment. It took my mother almost 6 months to get an MRI - these players get one 15 minutes after an injury!

My feeling is that far worse things happen all the time - doctors work the system and jump the queue, and people aren't treated fairly. But of course fame, celebrity, excess always grab the headlines.

any high performance athelete gets priority for MRI's and surgery not just professionals...it's their livelyhood/careers so I can cut them some slack for that...

but I don't think they deserve to the head of the line when it comes to vaccinations where lives can be at stake...

I don't see how the Province can fire someone for this after the Provincial government made no distinction on who should go first, they're looking for a scapegoat to draw attenton away from themselves...

Edited by wyly

Yet our Olympic team is getting zero priority. Wouldn't it be great if "Own the Podium" went in the tank cause they all got the flu and other teams got immunized.

they'll have plenty of time to be vaccinated or recover from the flu by the time the Olympics begin...my daughter is now recovering from the pig flu 4th day...

they'll have plenty of time to be vaccinated or recover from the flu by the time the Olympics begin...my daughter is now recovering from the pig flu 4th day...

Hope so, a couple of weeks interuption from a training regime could make a real difference this close to the event. Hope your daughter is doing well.

Just static distraction from the real issue of why we have to line up for 8 hours....

Think of it this way....a player gets the flu, not quite sick yet so he dresses and sits on the bench during a game....

.....and infects 18,000 fans

Hope so, a couple of weeks interuption from a training regime could make a real difference this close to the event. Hope your daughter is doing well.

ya interruption of training can be a setback, Olympic athletes are smart about their health I'm sure many have already got their vaccinations...

my daughter, flat on her back for a 2-3 days, fevers gone now and she's moving about, still coughing she'll be fine by weeks end...now my son was dismissed today from school with early signs of flu...

any high performance athelete gets priority for MRI's and surgery not just professionals...it's their livelyhood/careers so I can cut them some slack for that...

but I don't think they deserve to the head of the line when it comes to vaccinations where lives can be at stake...

I don't see how the Province can fire someone for this after the Provincial government made no distinction on who should go first, they're looking for a scapegoat to draw attenton away from themselves...

I disagree with cutting athletes slack. You are right - their livelyhood and careers do rest on their body being healthy. But so does mine, so does yours, and so does everyone elses with a "regular" job. None of us can work when we're strained by injuries and have to wait months to get MRIs.

I disagree with cutting athletes slack. You are right - their livelyhood and careers do rest on their body being healthy. But so does mine, so does yours, and so does everyone elses with a "regular" job. None of us can work when we're strained by injuries and have to wait months to get MRIs.

Well, unless your a Rodeo Bronco Buster, or a CFL linebacker, chances are herniated disks, concussions, pulled groins, broken ribs..etc etc..are not part of the job description. Players have a expectation to be injured in their career, they also have an expectation to be promptly treated for it. They are NOT jumping any queue..they aren't even in the public line so whining that they get express treatment is a non starter. Their treatment is bought and paid for.

Edited by M.Dancer

Well, unless your a Rodeo Bronco Buster, or a CFL linebacker, chances are herniated disks, concussions, pulled groins, broken ribs..etc etc..are not part of the job description. Players have a expectation to be injured in their career, they also have an expectation to be promptly treated for it. They are jumping any queue..they aren't even in the public line so whining that they get express treatment is a non starter. Their treatment is bought and paid for.

So let me buy my own treatment too!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing stopping you. Do what the teams do. Hire a personal physiciam for your family. You need an MRI? Take the private jet to long island..

I can't afford hiring a personal physician or taking the private jet I don't own to New York. However, I can afford walking into a private health clinic/hospital without waiting more than 10 minutes in line, paying for whatever minor treatment I need, and going on with my day.