Why is Hillary Clinton wearing a Hijab?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand if she wears the headscarf to the Mosque - she is being respectful of the religion

However if worn for fashion, to fit in, it makes it difficult to speak of freedom of West particularly to the Arab women who wish to be free (e.g. symbolic of removal of hijab). The hijab confers to the authority of the region, everyone is kept in check..check, puts women in their rightful corner.

A westerner wearing a hijab carries the less desirable speak for the Middle East woman. What I mean is that one of the most important women of the world wearing the hijab would only persuade others to follow suite because it is now ok but is it?

I think it was out of respect for the customs of the country. In the west, most of us take our shoes off when going into some else's home.

So do you think it's a good idea when someone goes, or comes to another countrry they should show some respect for the customs of that country, or is it better to dress according to your home country's customs?

I think it's best if everybody wears whatever they want.

Odd that Hillary would make the choice to wear a hijab in pakistan of all places.

I'm sure the Hijab was simply next up in the rotation and, surprise! it happened to be in one of the most violent and Islamic countries in the world.

Nothing to see here.

:lol:

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

So do you think it's a good idea when someone goes, or comes to another countrry they should show some respect for the customs of that country, or is it better to dress according to your home country's customs?

Both... either? I've seen most world leaders pay homage to different countries national/local dress...

http://aftermathnews.files.wordpress.com/2...-2006-hanoi.jpg

http://www.thesharkguys.com/wp-content/upl...-the-cowboy.jpg

Both... either? I've seen most world leaders pay homage to different countries national/local dress...

http://aftermathnews.files.wordpress.com/2...-2006-hanoi.jpg

http://www.thesharkguys.com/wp-content/upl...-the-cowboy.jpg

I agree. isn't it nice for new people to adjust to their environment, and not the environment be expected to adjust to the new people?

Having viewed the garment in question-- thanks, AW-- I don't have a problem with it.

I wouldn't have liked to see her wear the sort of stuff that would have made conservative Muslims happy.

But this is bright blue and transparent and is not hiding her face or even all of her hair. The message I get from this is "I'll wear this as a show of politeness for your customs, but I'm not personally into it at all."

-k

I think it was out of respect for the customs of the country. In the west, most of us take our shoes off when going into some else's home.
Topaz, that is naive and foolish. Voltaire would laugh.
I can understand if she wears the headscarf to the Mosque - she is being respectful of the religion

However if worn for fashion, to fit in, it makes it difficult to speak of freedom of West particularly to the Arab women who wish to be free (e.g. symbolic of removal of hijab). The hijab confers to the authority of the region, everyone is kept in check..check, puts women in their rightful corner.

RB, you get the point.
So if she didn't wear the hijab in Pakistan, you would be criticizing her right now??
On the contrary, Richard Nixon made a point of arguing with Nikita Khrushchev in 1959 and then insisting on Soviet TV time in 1972.
But this is bright blue and transparent and is not hiding her face or even all of her hair. The message I get from this is "I'll wear this as a show of politeness for your customs, but I'm not personally into it at all."
That's not the message at all. Clinton wore a scarf. Full Stop.

----

Queen Elizabeth visited Saudi Arabia in 1979 and I think she agreed to wear a scarf. I may be mistaken but Margaret Thatcher at the time objected and said that we in the West have every right to defend strongly our Western values.

-----

Make no mistake. There are many women (and men) living in Islamic dominant countries who disagree entirely with the rules in their societies but prefer to remain silent. Such women (and men) look for small signs of freedom. If I had been Hillary Clinton, I would have removed the scarf in front of the cameras - if only to adjust it.

But then, that would be viewed as a provocation. Obama seems to be the kind of guy who has spent his life making peace between different people in his family and this Obama Administration seems to want everyone to get along. Obama doesn't want to provoke anyone. Even Pierre Trudeau didn't follow that philosophy and he was PM of Canada.

Edited by August1991

No kidding. Even the Queen wore a head scarf when she visited a mosque. Queen dons Muslim headscarf to visit Turkish mosque
Wearing a scarf in a mosque is one thing, wearing a scarf in a public place as Hillary Clinton did in Pakistan and Queen Elizabeth did in Saudi Arabia is something else.

As they say: No shirt, no shoes, no service. Why?

Well, we in the West have thought about this kind of question and we have some good answers. Let's defend them.

Guest American Woman
Wearing a scarf in a mosque is one thing, wearing a scarf in a public place as Hillary Clinton did in Pakistan and Queen Elizabeth did in Saudi Arabia is something else.

Well, we in the West have thought about this kind of question and we have some good answers. Let's defend them.

Clinton was wearing the scarf at the Iqbal Memorial in Lahore, Pakistan.

Here is a picture of her being greeted by Ghalib Iqbal, the Pakistani chief protocol officer, when she arrived for her three-day tour of Pakistan. Notice that she is not wearing a headscarf.

Here is PML-N Quaid Nawaz Sharif, during a meeting with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday. Again, notice that Clinton is not wearing a headscarf.

Here, Pakistan's Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani shakes hands with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Again, no headscarf.

Because of health codes.

Edited by American Woman

No kidding. Even the Queen wore a head scarf when she visited a mosque. Queen dons Muslim headscarf to visit Turkish mosque

I don't care if the queen wore th headscarf. That's not an argument.

Here is something to consider: multiculturalism is a unicultural phenomenon. It exists solely in the west. ie. you can't go over to pakistan or saudi arabia andd "be multicultural". You go along with their customs.

So, when you go there, you go along with their customs. But when they immigrate to the west, we go along with their customs.

One of the things most left wing people in the west have a difficult time grasping is that someone who is "of colour" or an immigrant from some foreign land sees themselves as superior, stronger, better than us.

That is one of the fundamental flaws of left wing thinking: the antiquated view that immigrants are just lowly brown huddled masses wishing they were just like us. Sure, maybe they like our economic conditions, but a large number, particularly in the Muslim faith, see us as disgusting, weak and immoral. As a Muslim friend of mine is fond of saying: "White is the lowest common denominator".

If you take your Obama-coloured glasses off for just a minute and see the clarity that there are countries full of people who believe they are the stronger horse and that we are the weak ones ready to surrender, then you might see Hillary's attire in a different light.

That is an obvious symbol of weakness.

Look, I'm all for kitchy cultural symbolism in the name of getting along. But when it comes to symbols of women's opprsession, I think it's the wrong message for the first female secretary of state of the USA to don a hijab.

Remember, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoXHXUu-6ow

happened just a few kilometers from wheree Hillary was donning the garb. Bad.

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

What I find funny is that some posters here will tell immigrants they need to lose the hijab when comming here to, respect our way of life and become part of it. And at the same time has a problem with Clinton when she goes to a country like Pakistan and respects their customs by wearing the hijab.

I don't see the issue with her wearing it. Waste of a thread.

Even in places like Saudi Arabia, it might just save your life to just simply throw on the hijab.

I don't care if the queen wore th headscarf. That's not an argument.

No, but it is an example of a woman with over 50 years experience in protocol and relations doing what Hillary Clinton is now being chastised for. As American Woman already pointed out, Clinton only wore the scarf at a specific event, not throughout her entire time in the country; like the Queen, she was respecting the religious traditions involved. Do you think its okay for a man to sit in a Christian church with his hat on, or for one to enter a synagogue without donning a kippah?