Ottawa says provinces to get less flu vaccine than promised

This is where the blame seems to be directed at the manufacturer. It seems to be the Tory talking point.

Oh yes, not I'm spouting Tory talking points. Priceless.

You want to blame Harper and the Conservatives. That's what this is all about. If they had rolled it out faster than other countries, you would be questioning that. If it had cost $0.03 more than in other countries, you would have questioned that. The reality is that PHAC is running the show and their doctors are making most of the decisions. They've been taking the safe approach to ensure that no one is put in danger. Not every evil in the world is caused by Conservatives.

It seems this is the best Liberals can do...and that's why we need to be shown that we're wrong. Our slogan is We Can Do Better. I seriously doubt that if this is the best that we can come up with.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, not I'm spouting Tory talking points. Priceless.

Blaming the manufacturer for the delay even though the production line stoppage was government ordered is what the Tories are doing.

You want to blame Harper and the Conservatives. That's what this is all about. If they had rolled it out faster than other countries, you would be questioning that. If it had cost $0.03 more than in other countries, you would have questioned that. The reality is that PHAC is running the show and their doctors are making most of the decisions. They've been taking the safe approach to ensure that no one is put in danger. Not every evil in the world is caused by Conservatives.

You want to apologize for the Tory ordered change in the production line that has caused the shortage. That's what this is about.

They were asked questions about this which they have heckled the Opposition about and now they are left scratching their heads about the shortage.

It seems this is the best Liberals can do...and that's why we need to be shown that we're wrong. Our slogan is We Can Do Better. I seriously doubt that if this is the best that we can come up with.

It seems you will continue to believe that the manufacturer somehow failed even though you insist no blame is being set. Or have you forgotten the sexist heckling every time Bennett asked a question about the vaccine?

Edited by jdobbin

I'm sure that everyone failed at some point. Everything involved is human run. That said, pointing fingers right now doesn't fix anything. You are the one who started the finger pointing and you pointed the finger directly at the federal government. I don't think they deserve all of the blame here. Obviously, the manufacturer is failing to deliver. Obviously, the provinces didn't do the initial roll out properly or prudently. Obviously, Ottawa miscalculated at some step and so now we have a supply problem.

Alternatively, it's all Harper's fault.

Alternatively, it's all Harper's fault.

The buck stops somewhere. Perhaps if they had considered answering these questions rather than shouting the Opposition, we might have seen something different.

It isn't like they can blame the Federal Liberals for this.

Edited by jdobbin

The buck stops somewhere. Perhaps if they have considered answering these questions rather than shouting the Opposition, we might have seen something different.

Why does the buck have to stop in one place when it's quite plain to see that mistakes were made at many levels..that includes the manufacturer, all levels of government and the public. There is almost never a single cause to anything.

It isn't like they can blame the Federal Liberals for this.

Obviously not. With the current shape of the Liberals, I doubt they could manage a single vaccine clinic.

Why does the buck have to stop in one place when it's quite plain to see that mistakes were made at many levels..that includes the manufacturer, all levels of government and the public. There is almost never a single cause to anything.

The no one is to blame, everyone is to blame is probably not going to wash with continued chaos in terms of supply and when vaccines start over again.

Obviously not. With the current shape of the Liberals, I doubt they could manage a single vaccine clinic.

Ah, there is the blame the Liberals tactic I've been expecting.

The no one is to blame, everyone is to blame is probably not going to wash with continued chaos in terms of supply and when vaccines start over again.

Except that is exactly the case here. Now the involved parties have to look at ways to stop further problems from occurring.

In the words of Randy Marsh: It is time to stop pointing fingers! Finger pointing gets us nowhere! Steve!

Ah, there is the blame the Liberals tactic I've been expecting.

:blink:

The Liberals aren't (and shouldn't be) in government. The only thing that they can be blamed for is grasping at straws. Look up Rick Mercer's Liberal GPS for a good demonstration of the current state of the Federal Liberal Party.

Except that is exactly the case here. Now the involved parties have to look at ways to stop further problems from occurring.

Perhaps if the Tories didn't treat it as a joke in Parliament, it would be a start.

The Liberals aren't (and shouldn't be) in government. The only thing that they can be blamed for is grasping at straws. Look up Rick Mercer's Liberal GPS for a good demonstration of the current state of the Federal Liberal Party.

The chaos happening now is going to have people question who is in charge. Your answer seems to be no one, everyone. The Tories wanted to be in charge, well, live up to the job. It is chaos out there and someone has to take responsibility for it. And all we get from the Tories is heckling.

Perhaps if the Tories didn't treat it as a joke in Parliament, it would be a start.

Apparently, you've never watched question period before this week. The party in power almost never actually answers the questions. That's especially true when it comes to the current government.

The chaos happening now is going to have people question who is in charge. Your answer seems to be no one, everyone.

The federal government isn't in charge of everything in Canada. It stands to reason that they don't deserve blame for everything in Canada, especially when it involves cross jurisdictional matters. I don't think the majority of Canadians see the chaos that you're currently so focused on.

Apparently, you've never watched question period before this week. The party in power almost never actually answers the questions. That's especially true when it comes to the current government.

The shouting down with sexist comments is pretty new.

The federal government isn't in charge of everything in Canada. It stands to reason that they don't deserve blame for everything in Canada, especially when it involves cross jurisdictional matters. I don't think the majority of Canadians see the chaos that you're currently so focused on.

The Feds are responsible for the vaccine, not the provinces. If it is a supply issue, it is in their domain.

If you think that a federal government doesn't take heat in a pandemic then you forget what the reaction was during SARs. The Liberal government rightfully took its lumps.

In the words of Randy Marsh: It is time to stop pointing fingers! Finger pointing gets us nowhere! Steve!

it's always time to point fingers...the pandemic has been planned for a long time, this should have been a flawless procedure...if someone or some organization is to blame we need to know it...

the pandemic has been planned for a long time, this should have been a flawless procedure

That's an unreasonable expectation to have of flawed beings involved in (by extension) flawed organizations. We can do our best to avoid problems, but we can rarely have a flawless exercise of any kind. Blame should be assigned later if it's needed. Now we should do what we can to ensure that the problem doesn't become bigger. We should also design procedures to prevent future occurrences.

That's an unreasonable expectation to have of flawed beings involved in (by extension) flawed organizations. We can do our best to avoid problems, but we can rarely have a flawless exercise of any kind. Blame should be assigned later if it's needed. Now we should do what we can to ensure that the problem doesn't become bigger. We should also design procedures to prevent future occurrences.

it's not unreasonable, everyone was aware there would be a pandemic sooner or later it's been studied and planned for many many years...too few vaccination sites, incorrect priorities for who was to be vaccinated first, ever decreasing predictions on how much vaccine would be available...we've put together the coming Olympics in less time and we can be sure they will run perfectly, every potential problem has been planned for...pandemic planning should have been perfect, there are lives at stake...

finding where the blame lies is not going to hamper the process that, finding who or what is at fault can only improve the process...

Up until Thursday, most of the frustration was targeted at local health authorities. But after claiming that 3 million doses were on route and yet now the talk is of shortages, Ottawa has become the focal-point of anxiety driven frustration.

People with health conditions or young kids want the bloody vaccine. Now, on top of poor delivery planning from local health authorities, they have to worry about the basic availability of the vaccine. And that availability is squarely the responsibility of Ottawa.

There are many questions to be answered following this crisis. Some of which are the following:

Why did our vaccine program get entrusted to one firm and one location? Would it not be more prudent to instill redundancy in production centres to avoid singular vulnerability?

Why wasn’t a uniform plan for delivery deployed to prevent utter confusion and line-ups?

Why were provinces promised delivery of X amount of product, only to be told that a shortage is now to be expected?

Why was the federal government publicly stating that any form of the vaccine was safe for pregnant women, while privately ordering the sole supplier to produce vaccine specifically for women at a given stage of pregnancy?

To those in the group who decry the Liberals “politicizing the issue”, it must be noted that the role of the opposition is to take the government to account when they f**k-up. And from what I’m hearing from the parents of pre-school children, the federal government has f**ked-up royally on this file.

Harper is not personally to blame, but the government he heads is. This is not Harper’s finest hour.

Edited by Visionseeker

it's not unreasonable,

Yes, in fact it is. We aren't perfect. I make mistakes every day. I don't expect any different from my government. I do expect them to try and do reasonably well, and so far I see that.

Edited by Smallc

If it was almost any other item, I'd probably agree that a few weeks delay is no big deal. Most things are nothing like this time sensitive.

Getting your flu vaccine half or more of the way through the flu season is as un-screw-up as taking delivery of your wedding dress about half way through the ceremony.

Now we have the private clinics getting theirs and if you have $2900.00 to pay to belong to this clinic in TO. you won't have to stand in line, you just wait to get a phone call or e-mail and go to your appointment. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, but when people have to stand in the rain, for 6 hours I imagine it would. I hope the media show us which politicans are planning to stand in line for 6 hours. Also, some communtiies are having people who should be the frist group to get them today and they are also having the police there to keep things peaceful. Never thought I see this in my life time but times are a changing!!!! http://www.bourque.org/

Edited by Topaz