Tories to crack down on parole for non-violent offenders

None of you Consertvative registry haters have adressed the main point of my post, probably because you simply don't want to. Answering might blow a huge hole in the conservative "justice" reform plan. Will putting in strong mandaTORY minimum sentences for owning an unregistered firearm deter criminals from owning unregistered guns or not? How about adding some strong asset forfeiture laws for anyone caught owning an unregstered gun? Will these measures DETER criminals from owning unregistered weapons? Or do mandaTORY minimums fail to act as a deterrant?

Not a good model. How about "MandaTORY minimums" for using a gun in the commission of a crime? Whether registered or not? Hold up a variety store with a gun and having the gun buys you a minimum of 10 years, no parole, whether you actually used the gun or not.

As a matter of interest, when the Liberal gun registry was first being drafted this was one of its criticisms. The initial draft wording actually called for harsher sentences for not registering a gun than what was typically given in Canadian courts for actually USING one to rob a store!

Those of us who were not Liberal supporters at the time considered this just another example of how the Liberal mind was disconnected from reality.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good model. How about "MandaTORY minimums" for using a gun in the commission of a crime? Whether registered or not? Hold up a variety store with a gun and having the gun buys you a minimum of 10 years, no parole, whether you actually used the gun or not.

As a matter of interest, when the Liberal gun registry was first being drafted this was one of its criticisms. The initial draft wording actually called for harsher sentences for not registering a gun than what was typically given in Canadian courts for actually USING one to rob a store!

Those of us who were not Liberal supporters at the time considered this just another example of how the Liberal mind was disconnected from reality.

How is my example not a good one?I'd say its far better than your comparison. You are comparing using a gun in the commission of a crime to peaceful cannabis use? Peaceful plant ownership is a lot closer in morality, or non-criminality to peaceful gun ownership I think. The war on drugs makes people criminals for owning plants and the registry makes peaceful gun owners criminals for owning guns.(if they do not register them.) I'd settle for registering my plants if that meant I could still own them without being labeled a criminal.

How is my example not a good one?I'd say its far better than your comparison. You are comparing using a gun in the commission of a crime to peaceful cannabis use? Peaceful plant ownership is a lot closer in morality, or non-criminality to peaceful gun ownership I think. The war on drugs makes people criminals for owning plants and the registry makes peaceful gun owners criminals for owning guns.(if they do not register them.) I'd settle for registering my plants if that meant I could still own them without being labeled a criminal.

I bet their is a lot of "peaceful" methods used by the organization that sells you your pot.

This is what you had posted:

"Will putting in strong mandaTORY minimum sentences for owning an unregistered firearm deter criminals from owning unregistered guns or not? How about adding some strong asset forfeiture laws for anyone caught owning an unregstered gun? Will these measures DETER criminals from owning unregistered weapons? Or do mandaTORY minimums fail to act as a deterrant?"

Now, who suggested mandatory minimums for simply owning an unregistered handgun? The Tories? I haven't seen anything about the Tories attacking the ownership of unregistered guns. That was a Liberal thing. In fact, that was one of the major criticisms of their plan.

The Tories stance on Law and Order is to have strong minimums on the criminal use of ANY firearms! Who the hell cares if they're registered or not? A gun that's not used is no threat to anyone. A gun used in a crime is not ok simply because it may be registered! The very premise is absurd! As I had pointed out before, the Liberal plan started out proposing harsher sentences for simply failing to register than for actually USING a gun in the commission of a burglary!

You are attributing a completely wrong stance to the Conservative position, using that as a comparison to pot possession and then calling them down for it. Talk about your "straw man" arguments! You should be a Liberal supporter!

BTW, when you claimed that all Tory supporters had to be against decriminalization of pot you forgot to ask ME! Does that give me the right to make generalizations that include YOU? After all, if you think you have the right to make such blanket labels it seems only fair...

This is what you had posted:

"Will putting in strong mandaTORY minimum sentences for owning an unregistered firearm deter criminals from owning unregistered guns or not? How about adding some strong asset forfeiture laws for anyone caught owning an unregstered gun? Will these measures DETER criminals from owning unregistered weapons? Or do mandaTORY minimums fail to act as a deterrant?"

Now, who suggested mandatory minimums for simply owning an unregistered handgun? The Tories? I haven't seen anything about the Tories attacking the ownership of unregistered guns. That was a Liberal thing. In fact, that was one of the major criticisms of their plan.

The Tories stance on Law and Order is to have strong minimums on the criminal use of ANY firearms! Who the hell cares if they're registered or not? A gun that's not used is no threat to anyone. A gun used in a crime is not ok simply because it may be registered! The very premise is absurd! As I had pointed out before, the Liberal plan started out proposing harsher sentences for simply failing to register than for actually USING a gun in the commission of a burglary!

You are attributing a completely wrong stance to the Conservative position, using that as a comparison to pot possession and then calling them down for it. Talk about your "straw man" arguments! You should be a Liberal supporter!

BTW, when you claimed that all Tory supporters had to be against decriminalization of pot you forgot to ask ME! Does that give me the right to make generalizations that include YOU? After all, if you think you have the right to make such blanket labels it seems only fair...

Chill, Bill. I never suggested ANYTHING was the conservative position on any type of gun. Somebody said that Conservatives didn't believe in the registry and therefore wouldn't register their guns. That is why I suggested that the government ought to pass a strong mandatory minimum as punishment for owning an unregistered firearm to DETER people from breaking the law that says they must register. I mean if they believe that mandatory minimums actually DETER ppl from lawbreaking. I obviously do not seriously advocate that the government do this, I was only trying to make a point.

People who think that owning plants is so dangerous as to warrant jail time, have no business bitching about having to register a firearm. If the government has a right to take away our vegetation, they damn sure have the right to take away our guns.

PS I know that not all ppl who vote Conservative want to support the drugwar, but by voting for the Conservative Party of Canada you are doing exactly that. Big drugwar, Big Government, Big Brother.

PS I know that not all ppl who vote Conservative want to support the drugwar, but by voting for the Conservative Party of Canada you are doing exactly that. Big drugwar, Big Government, Big Brother.

I think your point was a bit of a stretch!

As for voting Tory, when the choice is supporting the drug war or ruining everything else about the country, I find it a very easy one to make!

Some of us actually worry about more than just one issue! Sometimes after reading your postings I swear you'd vote for a party that wanted to declare kittens a grocery store food product as long as they would legalize marijuana...