National State of Emergency declared by President!

Barack Obama has declared a national state of emergency in the US after a hundred people have died of the H1N1 flu to date. The nation needs to mobilize and I also see there is concern about bio-terrorism being a bigger threat than the nuclear threat. The nation's health must be protected....

hmmm.....anything to do with getting the government option passed in the Health care reform act?

I wonder??

Now I know what Mr. Obama was talking about during his campaign about transparency. It's knd of easy to see through what he is doing but it is kind of unnerving because he always leaves a little bit of mystery of how far he will go to push through taking America on his "progressive" march to the true freedom of 1984.

Now I know what Mr. Obama was talking about during his campaign about transparency. It's knd of easy to see through what he is doing but it is kind of unnerving because he always leaves a little bit of mystery of how far he will go to push through taking America on his "progressive" march to the true freedom of 1984.

Kinda reminds me of Harper on his regressive march to a crime free Canada.

Kinda reminds me of Harper on his regressive march to a crime free Canada.

It does? There are two possible purposes for your comment:

One - it is just a reflexive response to any criticism of the policies of the left; and two - it relates to the general inefficiency of big government be it right or left.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it is the latter. There I go assuming again - it always gets me in trouble. :P

Given that the 1918 - 1920 outbreak of N1H1 killed between 50 to 100 Million people worldwide, declaring a national state of emergency would seem to be a prudent move, especially if it meant mobilizing the resources required to fight the epidemic. The 1918 - 1920 outbreak spread around the world leaving few places untouched, and this was at a time when international travel was not so wide spread and could take weeks to get from point A to point B.

Today, you can get to damn near any point in the world in less then a day and there are literally 100's of thousands of flights daily around the world, not to mention fast and further ranging commercial sea travel. You could easily pick up the virus at point A, and bring it home to point B in under a day as well as infect everyone on your flight, thus adding in its spread.

This possible pandemic has the potential to spread around the world in a number of successive waves and could cause massive casualties. The only up side is our medical knowledge and infrastructure are light years ahead of those back in 1918.

So instead of using the declaration of a national state of emergency in the US as a means to bash Obama, how about doing something to help with the problem?

Barack Obama has declared a national state of emergency in the US after a hundred people have died of the H1N1 flu to date. The nation needs to mobilize and I also see there is concern about bio-terrorism being a bigger threat than the nuclear threat. The nation's health must be protected....

hmmm.....anything to do with getting the government option passed in the Health care reform act?

I wonder??

we can be sure that any action taken by this administration will be designed to injure in some way the american people... possibly the whole world...

our Orwellian nightmare seems to be upon us..

we can be sure that any action taken by this administration will be designed to injure in some way the american people... possibly the whole world...

The "whole world" isn't that important.

our Orwellian nightmare seems to be upon us..

If this is true for you, then you deserve it for being so impotent.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

One - it is just a reflexive response to any criticism of the policies of the left; and two - it relates to the general inefficiency of big government be it right or left.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it is the latter. There I go assuming again - it always gets me in trouble. :P

The latter and how it accrues to the use of fear to achieve an ends. It just breeds cynicism.

OTOH maybe my assuming this over-hyped swine-flu pandemic is just another feverish symptom of a society that's compulsively obsessed with fear will get me in trouble.

Given that the 1918 - 1920 outbreak of N1H1 killed between 50 to 100 Million people worldwide, declaring a national state of emergency would seem to be a prudent move, especially if it meant mobilizing the resources required to fight the epidemic. The 1918 - 1920 outbreak spread around the world leaving few places untouched, and this was at a time when international travel was not so wide spread and could take weeks to get from point A to point B.

50 to 100 million! Wow! It gets bigger all the time.

Today, you can get to damn near any point in the world in less then a day and there are literally 100's of thousands of flights daily around the world, not to mention fast and further ranging commercial sea travel. You could easily pick up the virus at point A, and bring it home to point B in under a day as well as infect everyone on your flight, thus adding in its spread.

This possible pandemic has the potential to spread around the world in a number of successive waves and could cause massive casualties. The only up side is our medical knowledge and infrastructure are light years ahead of those back in 1918.

Plus now we have instructions on how to wash our hands.

So instead of using the declaration of a national state of emergency in the US as a means to bash Obama, how about doing something to help with the problem?

It is not a reason to declare a national state of emergency. What is your proposal to help with the problem? Mine is keep calm and use reason.

The main reason he is doing this is because the US doesn't have enough vaccine to do the whole nation of 300 Million people. Canada, we make our own, and will probably have at least 20 Mil leftover which I'm sure Harper will give to the US.

The US doesn't need to vaccinate 300,000,000 people, and will not do so for various reasons. Canada's manufacturer is GlaxoSmithKline, a UK based pharma conglomerate.

When Canada runs out of rooms and respirators, guess where it will turn?

Guest American Woman
The US doesn't need to vaccinate 300,000,000 people, and will not do so for various reasons. Canada's manufacturer is GlaxoSmithKline, a UK based pharma conglomerate.

When Canada runs out of rooms and respirators, guess where it will turn?

According to this article, Canada's vaccine is being produced in Quebec.

The article says that:

Health Canada approved this country's H1N1 vaccine without evaluating its safety and effectiveness on a single Canadian, the Ottawa Citizen has learned.

Instead, the federal drug regulator approved the pandemic vaccine based on the results of a small clinical trial in Belgium.

The study involved 130 healthy adults, aged 18 to 60, who were inoculated with the same version of Canada's vaccine, which is produced by GlaxoSmithKline under the trade name Arepanrix.

The vaccine used in the Belgian study was manufactured by GSK in Germany. Canada's vaccine is produced in Ste-Foy, Que.

I wonder??

I don't know where you get your statistics but the one about "a hundred people have died of the H1N1 flu to date" is dead wrong. In the city Ilive in over 1,000 have died.

I carry those disinefectant wipes with me. When I get on a plane or train, I wipe down the seat arms and the tray, even the remotes for when I am on a plane and the TV screen. I use the wipes for disinfecting the grocery carts, particularly the seats where parents sit their kids with smelly diapers. If I am eating in a restaurant I wipe the chair, etc., and I don't care if people think I'm nuts.

I don't know where you get your statistics but the one about "a hundred people have died of the H1N1 flu to date" is dead wrong. In the city Ilive in over 1,000 have died.

Wow! Scary. That means like every one in your city must have gotten the H1N1 flu already?

I carry those disinefectant wipes with me. When I get on a plane or train, I wipe down the seat arms and the tray, even the remotes for when I am on a plane and the TV screen. I use the wipes for disinfecting the grocery carts, particularly the seats where parents sit their kids with smelly diapers. If I am eating in a restaurant I wipe the chair, etc., and I don't care if people think I'm nuts.

I eat them.

I love the smell of bullshit in the morning, it smells like ...

well, why don't you tell us which city you live in that has experienced 1000 deaths due to H1N1? Mexico City? Sao Paolo? St Catherines?

-k

Guest American Woman

I don't think any city in the world has had close to 1000 deaths from H1N1. That would certainly be making headline news since Mexico City's 100+ deaths did last spring.

I don't think any city in the world has had close to 1000 deaths from H1N1. That would certainly be making headline news since Mexico City's 100+ deaths did last spring.

You're right, it has been 10, not 1,000, more like a 1,OOO for the state and I live in a BIG STATE in the US. My apologies.

Guest American Woman
You're right, it has been 10, not 1,000, more like a 1,OOO for the state and I live in a BIG STATE in the US. My apologies.

The number of people who have died in the whole country just recently passed the 1000 mark, and 46 of the 50 states have been hard hit. If your information were correct, virtually all the deaths would have occurred in your state, and that would be major headline news.

You're right, though, when you say the statistics in the opening post are incorrect. I just noticed that Pliny said that Obama declared a National State of Emergency after 100 people have died in the U.S. One hundred children have died, but the total has passed 1000.

Edited by American Woman

1000 in your state alone?? Like other say, I'll call you out on it.

I have been talking with our medical staff at my facility, And now after getting some better information.. The vaccine is safe. Also she has stated that the news is blowing this thing way out of proportion. Yes there is a genuine concern, as is with any strain of the flu, and now my advice now is if you want proper informaiton, go see a medical professional. Don't listen to the freakin news media anymore.

The news is overhyping this flu strain, as well as overhyping the possible problems from the vaccine.

GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR FOR THE RIGHT INFORMATION. Most of our fears about it will be put to rest.

1000 in your state alone?? Like other say, I'll call you out on it.

I have been talking with our medical staff at my facility, And now after getting some better information.. The vaccine is safe. Also she has stated that the news is blowing this thing way out of proportion. Yes there is a genuine concern, as is with any strain of the flu, and now my advice now is if you want proper informaiton, go see a medical professional. Don't listen to the freakin news media anymore.

The news is overhyping this flu strain, as well as overhyping the possible problems from the vaccine.

GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR FOR THE RIGHT INFORMATION. Most of our fears about it will be put to rest.

I live in Texas, a border state, prone to more contagious diseases than other states. CNN has a map on H1N1 cases on a state by state basis, check it out.

I would see a doctor if I could find one that would see me. A lot of illegals in Texas are clogging the Texas medical system.

I've started to carry a bottle of Purell with me since I ride the Metro to work. I read that it's a great way to keep yourself protected. Hopefully I will be able to find the H1N1 vaccine soon. There are waiting lists where I live.

I carry the idsinfectant wipes; I do not touch a grocery cart before I wipe it down and I am thinking serously about passing on the H1N1 flu shot.