Swine Flu: Obama's Katrina?

I was shocked to hear that in Canada, we've had over 80 deaths since the outbreak! Looking for more info, I found that there has been 4999 deaths worldwide, and over 1000 deaths (funny there isn't an exact number in the LA times story I have linked)are American, for a percentage of 20%. That does not bode well.

And we haven't come close to peak flu season yet. Already 20,000 hospitalizations due to the outbreak have been recorded in the US, it certainly looks serious. I would submit that Obama(busy campaigning and fundraising for upcoming elections this week) is not focused on the important things. His administration is getting bogged down in the details of Afghanistan, CEO salaries, environmentalism, the healthcare bill, gay issues and a dozen other issues that serve as a drag on momentum.

Meanwhile, over 500,000 is added to the unemployment lines each month, the dollar continues to totter, and swine flu threatens to take thousands of lives. Will this be seen as Obama's Katrina? I doubt it. But the buck stops with him none the less.

No.....some things even Obama can't fix.

Influenza is a perfectly natural way to die...very green.

You are too funny. Looks like the war on terror has lost it's spark - The black death will have to do for the next little while. Odd how it only attacks the breeding stock. Young people... Saw a solar powered parking meter yesterday and thought - How green! _ Mean while you have to work and generate product to get the money to put in the damned thing. Kind of cancels out the whole green thing. Rule number one - You can not get something for nothing. Unless you are American of course.

Don't worry....a large number of non-whites will die too.

Don't encourge him...I think this goes contrary to the supposed superiour intellect that Lector has....How and I said HOW do you explain it to him that you are his superiour - AND YOU ARE BLACK.... :lol: Talk about avoiding reality! If I was in out space or on a battle field and I had to choose a friend who would help me survive - It would by you...not him. He is a fool - He does not believe in God - OR humans...he's in a fix.

Guest American Woman
Will this be seen as Obama's Katrina? I doubt it. But the buck stops with him none the less.

Of course it does. Shame on Obama for not coming up with a cure for this flu! :angry:

Well, Obama just declared it a state of emergency this morning, at least he's finally waking up to the seriousness of the situation. It's too late for that, however, it's going to race through the population killing thousands more. Will the media do a body count like they did for Katrina? Will Obama blame Bush as some Bush Derangement sufferers have now started to do? Will Obama take the blame as the body count rises? Stay tuned...

Guest American Woman
Well, Obama just declared it a state of emergency this morning, at least he's finally waking up to the seriousness of the situation. It's too late for that, however, it's going to race through the population killing thousands more. Will the media do a body count like they did for Katrina? Will Obama blame Bush as some Bush Derangement sufferers have now started to do? Will Obama take the blame as the body count rises? Stay tuned...

Was Bush blamed for the flu deaths during his 8 years in office? Was your PM blamed for SARS? Are you insane?

In case you missed it, AM, Bush was indeed blamed for Katrina. Swine Flu is a rarely occurring national emergency in which governments try to prepare for by developing vaccinations asap and distributing them to the public, among many other things. Swine flu has been around for about a year, plenty of time for your government to get a vaccination developed(as the medical industry does EVERY year) and protect the citizens.

Obama's administration has quite simply dropped the ball on this, and thousands may die as a result. At least with Katrina, they only had a week or so to prepare. But thanks for the personal attack. :rolleyes:

Edited by sharkman

Guest American Woman
In case you missed it, AM, Bush was indeed blamed for Katrina.

As he should have been.

Swine Flu is a rarely occurring national emergency in which governments try to prepare for by developing vaccinations asap and distributing them to the public, among many other things.

Which is exactly what the CDC is doing and has been doing. It's not as if they can call for a vaccine the way they can call for the National Guard. You do realize vaccines have to be safe, right? That these things take time? That Obama can't force the CDC to come up with a safe vaccine within a certain time frame?

Swine flu has been around for about a year, plenty of time for your government to get a vaccination developed(as the medical industry does EVERY year) and protect the citizens.

I didn't realize you were an expert on developing vaccines. <_<

Obama's administration has quite simply dropped the ball on this, and thousands may die as a result.

Really? Show me. Show me what he did/didn't do. Show me the way we could see what Bush did/didn't do after Katrina.

At least with Katrina, they only had a week or so to prepare.

Hurricanes have been hitting the United States forever. It's not a shock that a hurricane hit New Orleans. It wasn't a shock that the levees might not hold. A hurricane is something that the country is supposed to be prepared for, know how to deal with, beforehand. Bush/et al failed badly.

But thanks for the personal attack. :rolleyes:

You're welcome.

:rolleyes: back at'cha.

Edited by American Woman

If you are going to bother to respond to a post, at least make sense. I did not, and have not make a personal attack on you. You, on the other hand, asked if I was insane.

Further, you say that Bush hadn't been blamed for any flu seasons(what the hell point is that?) and then use it to suggest that the swine flu pandemic is something that Obama shouldn't take any heat over. As if the 2 are the same. Hint: one of the two is sweeping the globe and killing thousands more than the other.

Pointing out that it takes time to develop a vaccine doesn't wash. Like I said already, EVERY year they are able to develop a vaccine for the current season of flu. If Obama's administration can't ensure there is timely release of one for H1N1, then he shares the blame for the result.

....Pointing out that it takes time to develop a vaccine doesn't wash. Like I said already, EVERY year they are able to develop a vaccine for the current season of flu. If Obama's administration can't ensure there is timely release of one for H1N1, then he shares the blame for the result.

Was "blame" assigned to the Canadian PM when Ontario demonstrated wholesale incompetence during the SARS fiasco?

Nope.

Guest TrueMetis
If you are going to bother to respond to a post, at least make sense. I did not, and have not make a personal attack on you. You, on the other hand, asked if I was insane.

Further, you say that Bush hadn't been blamed for any flu seasons(what the hell point is that?) and then use it to suggest that the swine flu pandemic is something that Obama shouldn't take any heat over. As if the 2 are the same. Hint: one of the two is sweeping the globe and killing thousands more than the other.

Pointing out that it takes time to develop a vaccine doesn't wash. Like I said already, EVERY year they are able to develop a vaccine for the current season of flu. If Obama's administration can't ensure there is timely release of one for H1N1, then he shares the blame for the result.

The seasonal flu kills more people in a year than swine flu has so far. If that changes so be it but a this point swine flu isn't very deadly.

You've alrady pointed out that these are two different types of flu and yet you seem to expect them to be able to put out a vaccine as easily as they do for the normal flu. This is a new strain, which requires a new vaccine unlike seasonal flu which they can use the same basic vaccine for.

....You've alrady pointed out that these are two different types of flu and yet you seem to expect them to be able to put out a vaccine as easily as they do for the normal flu. This is a new strain, which requires a new vaccine unlike seasonal flu which they can use the same basic vaccine for.

They want instant salvation from a doom that doesn't exist. "Government"....please save us, but we will sue your ass if the vaccine is not available or causes adverse reactions.

For all the whiners demanding government protection.....suck it up.

Oh, plenty of questions were asked of all levels of government by us Canadians. And, yes, blame was pointed at the PM's office.

But this is different in that it is affecting far more citizens than SARs, and it's killing the young instead of the old. Also, for the third or fourth time, we've had about a year to prepare for H1N1 and are a day late and a dollar short. It is a far worse transgression.

Swine Flu was sweeping college campuses during the last week of August, for goodness sake. UW was reporting around 3000 infected by the first couple of days in September.

They want instant salvation from a doom that doesn't exist. "Government"....please save us, but we will sue your ass if the vaccine is not available or causes adverse reactions.

For all the whiners demanding government protection.....suck it up.

Ah yes. Why don't you tell the Katrina victims to bury their dead and quit whining about it.

Oh, plenty of questions were asked of all levels of government by us Canadians. And, yes, blame was pointed at the PM's office.

The Liberals were not turfed because of incompetent SARS actions.

But this is different in that it is affecting far more citizens than SARs, and it's killing the young instead of the old. Also, for the third or fourth time, we've had about a year to prepare for H1N1 and are a day late and a dollar short. It is a far worse transgression.

So what? Government is not obligated to save our asses from plague and pestilence beyond normal epidemiological actions and education. If you get the flu and/or die from H1N1, tough noogies.

Swine Flu was sweeping college campuses during the last week of August, for goodness sake. UW was reporting around 3000 infected by the first couple of days in September.

Again, I'm sure that's true, but it is difficult to distinguish H1N1 from seasonal flu without expensive confirmations in a lab. People were still taking cheap vacations in Mexico AFTER the outbreak and clusters were identified in that country.