Ross Rebagliati to seek Liberal nomination

kimmy

Former Olympic snowboarding gold medalist Ross Rebagliati is seeking the vacant Liberal nomination in the Okanagan-Coquihalla riding, where Stockwell Day is the current MP.[/url]

Funny, I'd have thought he'd go Green.

I was surprised to hear about it. Does anyone know what he has been doing in recent years? I wasn't sure what his politics were if any.

I was surprised to hear about it. Does anyone know what he has been doing in recent years? I wasn't sure what his politics were if any.

I saw him on the CBC coverage of the 2006 Olympics as a broadcaster. He looked totally haggard.

-k

Your subject line is wrong. It should be Ross Rebagliati to seek Liberal nomination, snowboarding champ to enter politics... Dude!

Does anyone know what he has been doing in recent years? I wasn't sure what his politics were if any.

"Rebagliati, 38, retired from competition in 1999 and has been involved in real estate and broadcasting ventures since.

Day, now minister of international trade in the Conservative government, won the seat with 58 per cent of the vote in the 2008 election, taking more ballots than all other candidates combined.

His closest opponent was the NDP candidate, who won less than 17 per cent. Hallford, the Liberal, finished fourth behind the Green Party with just under 12 per cent of the vote."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/...nomination.html

Rebagliati doesn't have a snowball's chance in this socially conservative BC riding which includes a high percentage of retirees from Alberta.

Day is so flakey, I can't see the problem in replacing Day with a Dude who brings out the best in M.Dancer.

:P;)

Day flakey? Just because he believes in the Fred Flintstone biblical version of history, i.e., that humans and dinosaurs co-existed?

Harper has similar Evangelical religious views but is smart enough not to talk about them:

http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun...hen-harper.aspx

Day flakey? Just because he believes in the Fred Flintstone biblical version of history, i.e., that humans and dinosaurs co-existed?

Harper has similar Evangelical religious views but is smart enough not to talk about them:

I'm betting if you talked to any of our Muslim, Hindu or Sikh MPs you'd get lots of hilarious beliefs, too.

But of course, no one would be so coarse as to do that.

Odd that I always thought Day was from Alberta for some reason.

Well, he did put a Creationist in charge of science funding.

I'm betting if you talked to any of our Muslim, Hindu or Sikh MPs you'd get lots of hilarious beliefs, too.

But of course, no one would be so coarse as to do that.

I haven't heard of any Muslim MPs declaring Creationist views. Don't think Creationism of any kind is big among Sikhs. As to Hindus, usually the only ones that express any whackiness are Hindu Nationalists, and I don't think there are too many of those outside India.

Odd that I always thought Day was from Alberta for some reason.

Why, has Alberta got a lot of nuts that believe in a six thousand year old Earth?

"Rebagliati, 38, retired from competition in 1999 and has been involved in real estate and broadcasting ventures since.

Day, now minister of international trade in the Conservative government, won the seat with 58 per cent of the vote in the 2008 election, taking more ballots than all other candidates combined.

His closest opponent was the NDP candidate, who won less than 17 per cent. Hallford, the Liberal, finished fourth behind the Green Party with just under 12 per cent of the vote."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/...nomination.html

Rebagliati doesn't have a snowball's chance in this socially conservative BC riding which includes a high percentage of retirees from Alberta.

No, but it ought to be real fun watching a battle between a pothead and a moron.

I agree it seems a longshot.

Day has stuck to his knitting in cabinet. The only way I seem him losing is something completely unexpected.

I haven't heard of any Muslim MPs declaring Creationist views. Don't think Creationism of any kind is big among Sikhs. As to Hindus, usually the only ones that express any whackiness are Hindu Nationalists, and I don't think there are too many of those outside India.

The reason you haven't "heard" anything is that no journalist in Canada would dare go to one of these individuals to ask them leading questions about their religious beliefs and then mock them for their beliefs. They'd be fired, and any editor who approved it would be similarly dealt with.

But it's considered acceptable to mock Christians for their religious views, and so some do. Usually, the ones who would be most horrified if anyone tried do the same to any other religion.

Edited by Argus

The reason you haven't "heard" anything is that no journalist in Canada would dare go to one of these individuals to ask them leading questions about their religious beliefs and then mock them for their beliefs. They'd be fired, and any editor who approved it would be similarly dealt with.

Ah, I see, so the absence of evidence is evidence that its true.

Tell you what. Provide me some citations of Muslim MPs or Hindu Nationalist MPs making Creationist statements, and we'll talk about it.

There are plenty of Muslim Creationists out there, of course, but considering they make up a very small portion of the population, it's usually not seen that they could play any kind of substantial party in, say, Federal science funding policy.

But it's considered acceptable to mock Christians for their religious views, and so some do. Usually, the ones who would be most horrified if anyone tried do the same to any other religion.

First of all, Creationism is not a "Christian" view. It is the view of a few branches of Christianity, and a view that a number of major churches, in particular Roman Catholicism, view as heretical. Day is not representative of Christians, he's representative of some rather silly churches.

But nice try with the "they're beating on Christian" load of horsecrap. Fortunately most churches aren't run by utter idiots.

Ah, I see, so the absence of evidence is evidence that its true.

Tell you what. Provide me some citations of Muslim MPs or Hindu Nationalist MPs making Creationist statements, and we'll talk about it.

There are plenty of Muslim Creationists out there, of course, but considering they make up a very small portion of the population, it's usually not seen that they could play any kind of substantial party in, say, Federal science funding policy.

First of all, Creationism is not a "Christian" view. It is the view of a few branches of Christianity, and a view that a number of major churches, in particular Roman Catholicism, view as heretical. Day is not representative of Christians, he's representative of some rather silly churches.

But nice try with the "they're beating on Christian" load of horsecrap. Fortunately most churches aren't run by utter idiots.

That's right. They're run by small-boy-raping-god-fearing men. Or is that only the Catholics?

Ah, I see, so the absence of evidence is evidence that its true

Don't twist things around. We've seen plenty of mockery directed at Christian believers, but none directed at the true believers of other religions, this despite the fact that most Christians are secularists while most no-Christians are weighted heavily towards the "true believer" side of the scale.

Are you going to try to tell me that an interview with a turban wearing Sikh MP isn't going to yield hilarious beliefs about the sacred nature of his hair and such? There are all sorts of silly beliefs there to be mined, but of course, no one would dare do that, so it's not likely I'll be able to do an internet search and find someone mocking Sikhs MPs for such beliefs.

Let's see someone from the CBC interview a leading Iman and ask him about the Koran's tale of Muhammed marrying a six year old. Think that's likely? Uhm, no! All major religions have aspects to them which can easily be mocked by secular society. But only the Christians are fair game.

All major religions have aspects to them which can easily be mocked by secular society. But only the Christians are fair game.

You said it. The post I made above yours has been up for over nine hours and nobody said a word about it. No PM's. No nasty notes from the moderators. Nothing.

What do you think the chances are I would receive the same non-reaction if I had substituted the word "muslim" for Catholic?