Union of the English Canadian Left

Will the NDP & Liberals unite somehow?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Tories, Liberals and NDP will never merge. They are three seperate ideologies, representing different interests. I can't think of any examples of any large political parties merging. In other countries, often parties with 5-10% of the vote merge together but often have a short history, weak base, or inconsistent platform.

Given the public reaction to the coalition experiment, I doubt that will ever happen again federally. I am predicting minority governments as far as the eye can see.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to think that rather than merging, the NDP will just be the last man standing on the left after the Liberals disappear.

Certainly, there could be a "Last Party Standing" mentality.

What I do see from the two polls running concurrently here on MLW, is that there is 80% against a merger of the left in this poll with only 20 support for a merger.

However, there is over 50% support of Liberals moving to the Conservatives if there was no Liberal Party to vote for.

Interesting....

Certainly, there could be a "Last Party Standing" mentality.

What I do see from the two polls running concurrently here on MLW, is that there is 80% against a merger of the left in this poll with only 20 support for a merger.

However, there is over 50% support of Liberals moving to the Conservatives if there was no Liberal Party to vote for.

Interesting....

fewer parties = less democracy...it'll be a sad day if we were to end up like the US two party system...

fewer parties = less democracy...it'll be a sad day if we were to end up like the US two party system...

I agree. However, it is unlikely to ever be a two party system in Canada. Look what happens in the Province of Alberta. There is some sort of talk of merging the NDP and the Alb Libs, and it goes nowhere in the end. But a 4th Party rises (Wild Rose) and appears to challenge the PCs. Meanwhile a party with potential committs suicide and becomes deregistered (green party).

There is far too much regionalism in Canada and too many visions from Province to Province to secure a simple two party formula as is the bane of the US.

Even diverse Provincial governments will implement the same policy, but it is who the people have confidence in that determine which party will do what is a right and HOW to do it.

Obviously, you look on this poll and there is little reason to see a merger in the works, and until the NDP is erradicated or the Liberals have a Kim Campbell moment, there is going to be a least 4 parties in parliment for a long long time.

You do realize that there are no "right" or "center-right" parties in Canada? The Conservatives are center-left, the Liberals are considerably more center-left, the NDP are out in left field and everyone else makes the NDP look like they're in the middle of the spectrum.

Left of what? Left vs. right is all relative, so by definition you can not have only left-wing parties.

It would be like saying there is an Central-Eastern Canada, an Eastern Canada and a far Eastern Canada.

Left of what? Left vs. right is all relative, so by definition you can not have only left-wing parties.

It would be like saying there is an Central-Eastern Canada, an Eastern Canada and a far Eastern Canada.

Uhmm....left of this>>>>

Okay, lets qualify this before we argue both sides to death.

We need a scale that we both understand. Are you okay using the US as a marker? All political parties in this country are far to the left of even the Democrats in the States. If we use Cuba, then we're all to the right. The Cons and the Libs are very different (in political leanings), you just can't tell right now because Iggy can't decide where he is. If we take track records as truth, let's look at Trudeau the Criminal or the possibly-soon-to-be-coronated Bob Rae.

That is what I am basing my statement on, so if you and I have a difference of opinion, use that as a reference point.

I worry about it being forced apart as much as together.

I don't see the country being 'forced apart', but I do wonder about the future of the federation.

The intransigence of the provinces/regions in collaborating with each other means we are increasingly unlikely to cooperate with each other for our mutual good.

And why would any region be willing, when we have examples of how a pragmatic, focused asssault on Ottawa can produce plenty of gravy for your region. Quebec has set the gold standard for taking care oif themselves, the culture/language issue is simply a convenient tool for blackmail and intinidation for getting your share plyus more.

I don't blame them, and we can expect to see every region trying the same. Why not, since it works?