Conservative Party Logo on Government cheque

madmax

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say it, the Liberals and Conservatives are the same, lets vote for someone else. You seem to be saying they are the same a lot lately.

I'm convinced that all politicians are the same and all we can really do is vote for the least objectionable one. People said the CPC's were paragons of virtue, temperance, fiscal restraint and good clean governance. Heretofore that has proven to be vastly inaccurate, as I expected. I suspect the NDP would end up the same way, it's the nature of the beast, not that there bad people, but politics is the narrative of otherwise good people making poor decisions.

As Andrew Coyne says, none of these MPs has authority to cut a check using government money in their names.

Agreed; this is essentially the CPC using tax payer dollars for free publicity, not only is it unethical and somewhat underhanded it's downright unconservative. Hard to say if this will reflect in by elections though, it would be amusing if this "non-issue" cost them all four seats.

Much ado about nothing. If this is what constitutes a controversy, that only goes to prove what a great job the Conservatives are doing otherwise.
These are the steps that lead to corruption and entitlements. What is disturbing is the speed of which the CPC are falling into these traps.

This Conservative MP from manitoba has his own website with a photo gallery of all the Conservative party cheques he has been given to hand out. Just one? don't think so.

http://www.jamesbezan.com/default.asp?ID=10

As Andrew Coyne says, none of these MPs has authority to cut a check using government money in their names.

Obviously no party logo should end up on a cheque, but, regarding signatures, someone should point out to Andrew Coyne that this is a novelty cheque. Has he checked whether Chretien's or Martin's name ever appeared on a cheque? I really could care less. Maybe MPs should no longer be allowed to pose for photos either.

What I really don't get is why the Liberals would try to make this out to be more than it is. The logo got on there because someone was incompetent. That was positive press for the Liberals. However, when they try to paint this as corruption all they do is remind people of Sponsorship.

Edited by noahbody

Obviously no party logo should end up on a cheque, but, regarding signatures, someone should point out to Andrew Coyne that this is a novelty cheque. Has he checked whether Chretien's or Martin's name ever appeared on a cheque? I really could care less. Maybe MPs should no longer be allowed to pose for photos either.

What I really don't get is why the Liberals would try to make this out to be more than it is. The logo got on there because someone was incompetent. That was positive press for the Liberals. However, when they try to paint this as corruption all they do is remind people of Sponsorship.

Novelty cheque? Good point. Obviously its a prop for the photo op. The actual cheque would certainly be something else. No one would want to try to put a giant novelty cheque through an ATM slot, after all!

Still, whether it was one idiot or a bunch doesn't matter. Wrong is wrong and it should be stopped. That being said, I agree that it likely won't matter to anyone outside of MLW. We Canadians have gotten to the point where we believe they ALL are prone to do such things! So since all parties do this 'bad thing' it becomes a null factor. No one is going to switch his vote to a party that historically has done the same or worse. We don't make our choices based on similarities but on differences between parties, after all.

I agree that the Liberals seem to be making a mistake stressing Tory corruption. I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve. They only can succeed in making the Tories look as bad as themselves! You're right that it makes the average voter remember things like AdScam. As I said, it only makes these things into null factors. Worse yet, a swing voter might find himself comparing a Tory logo on a novelty cheque WITH handing out envelopes stuffed with our tax money in a Montreal restaurant! With such a comparison the Liberal sin of course looks far greater. Perhaps they would be smarter to not invite such comparisons at all and attack the Tories on other fronts.

Or is corruption the only card the Liberals have to play against the Tories?

I'm convinced that all politicians are the same and all we can really do is vote for the least objectionable one.

It's funny the NDP saying the Liberals and Tories are guilty of this only.

Let's looks at whose name is here:

http://www.jamesbezan.com/photos_detail.asp?photocat=69

And here:

http://www.jamesbezan.com/photos_detail.asp?photocat=70

Well, lo and behold, it is an NDP name.

What I really don't get is why the Liberals would try to make this out to be more than it is.

Because Harper complained about this when he was Opposition leader. Now that he is in power, we see him doing it and we see his supporters asking what the big deal is. Yeesh. You are the guys who said it was a big deal. So were you wrong then or are wrong now?

Perhaps they would be smarter to not invite such comparisons at all and attack the Tories on other fronts.

I would say this also applies to the Liberals chasing the issue of the torture of prisoners in Afghan jails. In the early 2000s, Amnesty International fingered the Liberals for the very same behaviour of which the Liberals are presently accusing the Conservatives. It's all recorded in Hansard.

As was said by someone more knowledgeable than I, the Liberals are spending all their time and energy shouting at Canadians about the big bad Conservatives rather than convincing them why they would be a better government.

As was said by someone more knowledgeable than I, the Liberals are spending all their time and energy shouting at Canadians about the big bad Conservatives rather than convincing them why they would be a better government.

Right now their job is to oppose, and thats what they are doing. When the time comes to lay out their plan, they will. I know you can hardly wait.

I would say this also applies to the Liberals chasing the issue of the torture of prisoners in Afghan jails. In the early 2000s, Amnesty International fingered the Liberals for the very same behaviour of which the Liberals are presently accusing the Conservatives. It's all recorded in Hansard.

I think you forget it is the who record that the Military Complaints Commissioner is looking which includes both Liberal and Tory governments.

Am I to understand you want it buried now?

Right now their job is to oppose, and thats what they are doing. When the time comes to lay out their plan, they will. I know you can hardly wait.

I've never understood why 'oppose' means jumping up and down shouting "No!No!No!" with your thumbs stuck in your ears. Opposition could easily mean something concrete like actually stating the reasons you're against something and suggesting alternatives...

'The Liberals'... I find myself unfamiliarly, even uncomfortably one of 'the Liberals'.

The thing is, I don't think stuff like this is a big deal because I'm a Liberal. I'm a Liberal because I think stuff like this is a big deal.

A bit different. That's a minister of the Crown.

True. of Education. Not infrastructure.

And once again, it is not his money. It is the province of Manitoba's. Why is any name appearing other than Manitoba on a Manitoba cheque?

Edited by jdobbin

Did you actually look at those pictures? It's exactly one cheque (Keddy's) with a Conservative logo. Almost all of them in that slideshow are "Government of Canada" or "Canada's Economic Action Plan" motifs. Are the MPs names on them? Sure, those presenting the cheques did put their names on them, in many cases including MLAs from other parties.

Again, if this is what counts as a "scandal", Conservatives everywhere should be proud.

It is still something Harper complained about when the Liberals did it.

It's that sense of entitlement to use taxpayer money anyway they want. It only took Harper two years to get his hands on the money, since this supposedly has been going on for two. It appeared to have taken the Liberals longer. Harper just learns faster I guess.

Talking about cheques, my friend, tried to call the EI to update their benefits and has since early summer and today all they get is a busy signal and they have been trying for four hours. This shock them because they haven't had any trouble before and if they don't get in touch with EI they could lose their benefits for not reporting but how can they report when all they get is a busy signal to ALL numbers available! IF they try by internet it could cause problems replying for EI because they said you have to go through the whole thing again. Anyone know Diane Findley should tell her the phones aren't working or is it they are running out of money for the 500,000+ on EI? You know how angry people will be with the government if they can't get through?

Did you actually look at those pictures? It's exactly one cheque (Keddy's) with a Conservative logo. Almost all of them in that slideshow are "Government of Canada" or "Canada's Economic Action Plan" motifs. Are the MPs names on them? Sure, those presenting the cheques did put their names on them, in many cases including MLAs from other parties.

Again, if this is what counts as a "scandal", Conservatives everywhere should be proud.

I did, they were ALL signed by the MP or Harper himself along with their slogans... it ain't their money, no need for them to take credit whilst having a gun held to their heads by the other parties who seem to give a shite about ordinary Canadians.

It's not necessarily a scandal as much as it's extremely unethical but that is proving to be par for the course with this Gov't.

Accountability and transparency indeed.