Conservative Party Logo on Government cheque

madmax

The headline should have been CPC logo on prop cheque.
All those big cheques are props. And there is a BIG FAT CONSERVATIVE LOGO on the cheque.

Apparently, when I first saw this story, I felt it was going nowhere. A one off screwup by some very very very very very stupid staffers. However, the MP darn well knows better too, but I bet he thought, hey, maybe we can get away with this and the public will think it is the Conservative Party that hands out money. (Ironic actually).

However, this silly screwup made national coverage and apparently is going over like a bad cheque in the by election in Nova Scotia. Yes people there just tossed out an inept and semi corrupt government and it doesn't bode well for those who want to reclaim the seat as a CPC riding, when the Province just did a major housecleaning to get a breathe of fresh air.

If the CPC lose the safe seat in Nova Scotia, it is a foolish price to pay.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it:

OTTAWA; QUEBEC CITY - Jean Chretien, the Prime Minister, yesterday said his government had nothing to apologize for in seeking to reap maximum partisan political benefit from disbursing $1-billion worth of federal job grants across Canada each year.

He had always made sure since taking power in October, 1993, that voters were left in no doubt that it was his Liberals who were distributing such grants, he said.

"Listen," he added, "we are the government ... I don't see why we can't try to get credit for what we do. I hope we do so. There is nothing to be ashamed in that."

h/t sda http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/

Much ado about nothing. If this is what constitutes a controversy, that only goes to prove what a great job the Conservatives are doing otherwise.

However, Harper used to scream about it when the Liberal did it. He was wrong then, right?

Pardon? Harper used to complain about the Liberals going around and taking credit for exactly the same thing he is being criticized for now.

You are saying he said nothing?

I will say it, the Liberals and Conservatives are the same, lets vote for someone else. You seem to be saying they are the same a lot lately.

Pardon? Harper used to complain about the Liberals going around and taking credit for exactly the same thing he is being criticized for now.

I'm saying he didn't put the logo on the prop for the photo-op. Harper's opinion is unchanged, he is saying the same thing now as he said then.

I'm saying he didn't put the logo on the prop for the photo-op. Harper's opinion is unchanged, he is saying the same thing now as he said then.

He used to complain about Liberal MPs taking credit for federal spending at news conferences. He is doing the way he criticized in the past.

The headline should have been CPC logo on prop cheque.

Yeah, I'm sure nobody is accusing them of producing their own currency or anything. It's the overall message that's the problem.

What message does giving out big dumb novelty cheques with a Conservative logo on them send? "Conservatives give you money!" That money didn't come from the Conservatives. It came from the Canadian taxpayer.

They used to ridicule the Liberals for this kind of thing, now they're doing it themselves.

That's embarrassing. I'm sure this "Keddy" character came up with the idea himself, but it's embarrassing for the whole party, for obvious reasons.

-k

We've had this discussion before dobbin. The government isn't just what you see on question period it's massive, employing thousands of people. The PM cannot possibly know what is going on in every corner of the country in minute detail. No one can. Frankly, I don't want him to as he's got more important things to do like keep driving the economic stimulus and making sure it gets out so we can continue to see recovery.

The act was in bad taste, nothing more. This is a non issue move along. I hope the Liberals have more than this to force an election with. Maybe this will be a party plank, No Party names on big prop cheques. Hey, don't knock it it's as good as any, the Liberals haven't had any direction in years, I'm giving them one.

You didn't see Tory MPs handing out checks and taking credit for them? You don't remember Harper criticizing it?

Apples and oranges, jdobbin! What we have here seems to be one MP who did something dumb. Harper has no doubt read him the Riot Act in private. As the leader, he can't do it in public without having to fire the MP.

The difference is that under Chretien it appeared to be Party policy! ;)

What the Tories did is against the ethics code of government. The Tories have this game they play with the public. If they want to make a point and know that its probably wrong, they go ahead and do it or say it and they apologize say they will never do or say it again, no minister is fired and all is right with the Tory party and they have achieved what they set out to do. So its is any wonder most Canadians and the opposition parties are coming against them on this? Just look at what they have gotten away with! How far are the Tory supporter willing to let this party go before they too finally say, wait enough is enough? Is the Tory supporter moral standard higher or lower than the government's?

Apples and oranges, jdobbin! What we have here seems to be one MP who did something dumb. Harper has no doubt read him the Riot Act in private. As the leader, he can't do it in public without having to fire the MP.

Several people seem to be under the impression that it was 'just one'. News reported quite a bunch of them with CPC logos, pictures of MPs, pictures of Harper, signatures of either the MP, or of Mr. Harper....

..so it's NOT just a one-of. It 'appear(s) to be party policy'.

Yup... just the one....

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article...-cheque-scandal

On Thursday, the Liberals unveiled a new website featuring 181 photographs of Conservatives in various poses with oversized cheques; some of them carrying Harper's signature, some with the party logo and others with the personal signature of the Conservative MP.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/conservativecheques

It wasn't just one MP using a prop cheque with their name on it. And it does seem to be Tory policy since Harper just said yesterday that can MPs do it. The only thing he said is no Tory logo on the a prop. But it appears that they can put anything else on it including Tory party slogans like Scott Goodyear.

Edited by jdobbin