Rush Limbaugh as NFL owner?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...-as-nfl-owner/1

Colts owner Jim Irsay said today he would not consider voting to approve Rush Limbaugh if the talk-show host is successful in his bid to buy the St. Louis Rams.

"I myself couldn't even think of voting for him," Irsay told PFT's Tom Curran at the NFL's owners meetings in Boston.

Limbaugh acknowledged trying to buy the Rams last week. His candidacy has been rejected by NFL players such as Bart Scott and Mathias Kiwanuka, who said they would not play by a Limbaugh-owned team.

Given that the NFL generally doesn't want owners it thinks may court trouble, I'm wondering if Limbaugh has even a hope of getting ownership.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/sports/f...3vecsey.html?em

The league policy on ownership transfers reads thusly:

“In conducting this investigation and evaluation (of a proposed owner), the N.F.L. Commissioner’s office and the N.F.L. member clubs will consider all pertinent information. The ultimate decision on the purchaser’s application for membership in the N.F.L. will be based on the N.F.L. member clubs’ assessment of whether the proposed ownership is likely to result in successful operation of the club, with acceptable ownership and management operating in compliance with all league rules and policies and in the best interests of the league. This assessment will be made by the member clubs in their sole discretion. Prospective buyers and sellers should bear in mind that the N.F.L. reserves the right not to approve any application for membership.”

Note: the NHL seems to have the same thoughts on the cut of the jib of Balsillie.

They seem to like Marcel Aubut's jib though.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NHL would be all over Ballsillie's "jib" if he was trying to start an expansion franchise instead of relocate an existing one.

The NHL will block a move of an existing franchise to Hamilton because they know that it's a goldmine market that somebody would pay a $200 million expansion fee to put an NHL team into. They don't like Ballsillie because his plan would take away the chance for the league to pocket a quick $200 million.

Quebec City? Winnipeg? Maybe not as sure things. Maybe Quebec and Winnipeg could be destinations for relocating teams at some point if the league isn't as convinced that somebody would pay $200 million to start an expansion team into those cities. But the league doesn't want to admit that any of it's "developing markets" are failures, so relocations are not likely to happen any time soon either.

If Ballsillie were determined to be in Hamilton, he could wait for the league to have another round of expansion, but that might be a long wait. They can't expand while several existing franchises are teetering on the brink.

As for Limbaugh ... uh, yeah, I dunno if he's right for the Rams. The Rams have such a strong tradition of classy ownership.

-k

If Ballsillie were determined to be in Hamilton, he could wait for the league to have another round of expansion, but that might be a long wait. They can't expand while several existing franchises are teetering on the brink.

If Quebec gets an expansion team, it may very well be that the NHL don't like the cut of his jib because the poke of his jab.

As for Limbaugh ... uh, yeah, I dunno if he's right for the Rams. The Rams have such a strong tradition of classy ownership.

Maybe they will make Rush pee in a cup.

The NHL would be all over Ballsillie's "jib" if he was trying to start an expansion franchise instead of relocate an existing one.

The NHL will block a move of an existing franchise to Hamilton because they know that it's a goldmine market that somebody would pay a $200 million expansion fee to put an NHL team into. They don't like Ballsillie because his plan would take away the chance for the league to pocket a quick $200 million.

Quebec City? Winnipeg? Maybe not as sure things. Maybe Quebec and Winnipeg could be destinations for relocating teams at some point if the league isn't as convinced that somebody would pay $200 million to start an expansion team into those cities. But the league doesn't want to admit that any of it's "developing markets" are failures, so relocations are not likely to happen any time soon either.

-k

Hamilton will not get a franchise, period. The Toronto Maple leafs and Buffalo Sabres management will fight tooth and nail to keep a franchise out of there. It would be like you having a Tim Hortons and watching in horror a texas tycoon set up a Tim Hortons right across the street (which would never happen with how franchises are set up.)

What Balsillie did was shady. Had he won his court case, that would have shaken pro sports and the franchise concept right to the core. If Balsillie wants a franchise, he will have to play by the rules. Then there would be the chaos had Balsillie been able to purchase the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton, there would have been the chance that the Board would have booted Balsillie and his franchise out of the league, which would mean Balsillie would be back in court fighting to get his money back. The judge made the right call.

The Board of Governors does not want Balsillie in, they voted unanimously to keep him out and even sent Bettman marching orders to buy the Coyotes so Balsillie wouldn't.

Hockey in the US is growing at a snail's rate. There has been a slow increase in the amount of Americans playing in the NHL over the years. Like it or not the NHL needs the Americans in order to be a competitive sports league in the continent.

Edited by blueblood

The smear merchants have retracted their lies, but only after they accomplished their fascist goal.

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this post contained quotes attributed to Rush Limbaugh, which Limbaugh has since denied making. As is our policy when a fact in a blog post is called into question, we gave its author 24 hours to substantiate the quote. Since he has not been able to do so, the quotes have been deleted from the post.

Huffington Post

Rick Sanchez:

i've know rush. in person,i like him. his rhetoric,however is inexcusably divisive. he's right tho. we didn't confirm quote. our bad.

Twitter

Too little too late Rick. Consider yourself sued. Or at least I have my fingers crossed. :)

Apparently the NFL has no problem with this... :rolleyes:

“And the game done chose me to bring pain to niggas and pussy holes, they one in the same.” - Jennifer Lopez

Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism

But we still got terrorists here livin’

In the USA, the big CIA … - Fergie

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk

All that junk inside your trunk

I’ma get get get get you drunk

Get you love drunk off my hump

My hump my hump my hump my hump my hump

My hump my hump my hump my lovely little lumps - Black Eyed Peas

I guess this is what people mean by non-controversial, and non-devisive language, that's essential to be a part owner in an NFL team. :rolleyes:

Jennifer Lopez

First, Lopez isn't part owner. Her husband owns the team.

Next, Lopez didn't write those lyrics, they came from a remix of her song sung by another artist who inserted their own lyrics.

Fergie

From a song Fergie didn't write for the first.

As far as the rest goes, if right wingers think it is enough to oppose her as owner, by all means.

First, Lopez isn't part owner. Her husband owns the team.

Sorry, you're wrong, she is a part owner.

Next, Lopez didn't write those lyrics, they came from a remix of her song sung by another artist who inserted their own lyrics.

Wrong again. She co-wrote the song, recorded it, and also preformed it live.

As far as the rest goes, if right wingers think it is enough to oppose her as owner, by all means.

Nope. Just illustrating the double standard, my nigga.

Sorry, you're wrong, she is a part owner.

Not according to media reports.

The NFL does not list her as an owner, only her husband.

Wrong again. She co-wrote the song, recorded it, and also preformed it live.

Once again, not according to media reports. Ja Rule wrote the lyrics for the re-mix song with whereas Lopez has the cleaned up version which is how her lyrics went.

Not that it matters, she isn't an NFL team owner.

Nope. Just illustrating the double standard, my nigga.

Well, Rush wasn't rejected. He quit.

Edited by jdobbin

Shady,

I guess this is what people mean by non-controversial, and non-devisive language, that's essential to be a part owner in an NFL team.

I guess you know now how normal people feel about Limbaugh. Fergie and Lopez would have to write some pretty controversial lyrics to evoke that kind of protest.

The fact was that Rush denigrated Donovan McNabb on national television due to his race and nothing more. Rush is the equivalent of the drunk racist uncle you invite to your wedding but pray he won't say anything.

Shady,

I guess you know now how normal people feel about Limbaugh. Fergie and Lopez would have to write some pretty controversial lyrics to evoke that kind of protest.

The fact was that Rush denigrated Donovan McNabb on national television due to his race and nothing more. Rush is the equivalent of the drunk racist uncle you invite to your wedding but pray he won't say anything.

No he didn't he said he wasn't a good player, that's all he said, and define 'normal'

Limbaugh) should be suing the pants of MSNBC and CNN for falsely attributing statement to him that he never made.

I bet people who denigrate Limbaugh and Fox news never listen or watch , they just parrot the left's talking points. This is just a concerted attack to denigrate and bring down a commentator the left hates.

No he didn't he said he wasn't a good player, that's all he said, and define 'normal'

Are you choosing not to be informed on the subject or are you making stuff up? That isn't all he said. If it were, he probably wouldn't have resigned from ESPN over it, would he?

He said the media are praising McNabb because they want him to succeed just because he's black.

And then he took another Oxycontin cocktail. :lol:

Okay, I found another quote, he actually said:

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve."

Hardly racist, and probably correct - however as we know people get pilloried for less.

more here

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/sit...5106.guest.html

Edited by scriblett

Wow, not the quote I got:

Rush: "I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Could Rush have lied again ? Does Rush lie to please his followers who love to follow him ( a liar ) ?

Stl Today.com

Rush got the bum's Rush...

Edited by Michael Hardner

Wow, not the quote I got:

Could Rush have lied again ? Does Rush lie to please his followers who love to follow him ( a liar ) ?

Stl Today.com

Rush got the bum's Rush...

You can watch the whole discussion here:

and frankly, he's right. Donovan McNabb has always been competent, and sometimes even good, but never as good as he was hyped to be at the time. I don't think it's racist to say so.

And I do think the NFL has been hoping that a black guy would come along and excel at the quarterback position, and I think Limbaugh is just being realistic in making that claim. Quite a few have come along over the years with varying amounts of fanfare... some have failed spectacularly, some have done ok (Culpepper or Garrard), some have done well (McNabb or McNair) but not since Warren Moon has there been a black QB who was on a level with the top quarterbacks in the league at the time. Quarterback is the marquee position in the NFL, and the NFL (and its sponsors and the tv networks that broadcast the games) would love to have a black quarterback to put alongside guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

-k

{Michael Vick had some promise, until that whole dog thing blew up in his face...}

Rush the druggie knows nothing about football. Warren Moon was a great QB. OK time to sign out. Too much of this Bordeaux. Ciao.

Yeah, Warren Moon was a great quarterback. But he had already been retired for years when Limbaugh made his comments about McNabb.

Whether he knows football or not, he was right. Donovan McNabb never was as good as the hype. And the league was (and still is) hoping for a black quarterback to emerge as a true star, because Warren Moon was a loooong time ago.

-k

It's not racist to point that out as Rush did, but it's pc incorrect, something the left hates above all else, unless it's one of their poster children doing it. Whoopi gets away with calling a rape not a rape rape, but let Limbaugh say something that happens to be true and he's forced to resign. This is why the left turns off so many, and why the increasingly extremist media outlets such as NBC, CBS etc. see their ratings slide year after year.

I think you're starting to understand that Rush is actually offensive to a great many people.

Donovan McNabb has always been competent, and sometimes even good, but never as good as he was hyped to be at the time. I don't think it's racist to say so.

Saying that he was given a 'pass' because he's black is insulting, and nobody knows for sure that it's true. So Rush isn't "pointing it out" as Sharkman says, but just assuming it's true and insulting McNabb by implying he isn't good enough to be an NFL QB, and that he's only there because of his race.

Do NFL commentators ever say anything that controversial in their broadcasts ? Do they ever insult players that badly ? I can't think of any examples of commentators saying a player shouldn't be in the league, which is effectively what he was doing, let alone insulting them that way.

And if you disagree with my assessment, you may at least agree that Rush went on his own with that comment, and showed his poor judgment in thinking he'd get away with it.

Rush is free to offend whomever he pleases, and has risen to the top in his business by doing so. No reason to stop now.

I listened to him on an off for years..Rush is an entertainer. Anyone who feels offended by Rush has some maturing to do - words ..they are just words and Rush is fun to listen too. I don't believe that Rush Limbaugh really takes himself seriously - why would he? :lol:

I listened to him on an off for years..Rush is an entertainer. Anyone who feels offended by Rush has some maturing to do - words ..they are just words and Rush is fun to listen too. I don't believe that Rush Limbaugh really takes himself seriously - why would he? :lol:

That makes you smarter than the average bear....maybe because you know what show business means. Like you say, Rush is a radio entertainer with #1 Arbitron ratings in most markets. The fact that he is even aired in Canada speaks volumes.

That makes you smarter than the average bear....maybe because you know what show business means. Like you say, Rush is a radio entertainer with #1 Arbitron ratings in most markets. The fact that he is even aired in Canada speaks volumes.

Our push the emotional button radio hosts are ameteurs..at least Rush is convincing...got to run BC - thanks for the shared trust - this is the first time you mentioned outright that you are black - what ever that means..all I know is that you are a king..and a king can be any shade he wishes - so do you use hair relaxers??? sorry I just had to take a poke at you,, :lol:

Our push the emotional button radio hosts are ameteurs..at least Rush is convincing...got to run BC - thanks for the shared trust - this is the first time you mentioned outright that you are black - what ever that means..all I know is that you are a king..and a king can be any shade he wishes - so do you use hair relaxers??? sorry I just had to take a poke at you,, :lol:

No way 'Bro..I have always sported a natural 'fro....my sisters use to do that hot hair pressing thing with scalp burns to prove it...then Lincoln set us free....ha! :lol: