Wildrose Alliance vies for second place

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then they sat there with legs crossed. They took a room of negative and cynical people and said that before we left we would be filled with postive thougths. The room was too negative for their liking and they were going to change with natural law. Soon afterwards they were meditating and one or another would start to bounce on their butts. Then another and another and another until around 30 people on cushions were bouncing on their asses. The theory was they could meditate until being able to fly.

People in the audience started laughing and couldn't stop. It was hilarious. It was hilarious disbelief. And sure enough all the negative cynical people left the lecture hall smiling and laughing.

The Natural Law party didn't win any seats, but IIRC they were the party that financially profited the most from the Federal Election.

Can you get me a copy of their Policy Statement or platform? Were they in the Leadership Debates? English Debates or French Debates?

Can you get me a copy of their Policy Statement or platform? Were they in the Leadership Debates? English Debates or French Debates?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Law_Party_of_Canada

Since they never won a seat they were never in any of the Debates. Back then at debates they didn't give "pity positions" like they gave Elizabeth May of the Greens last time. You had to prove you were a real player FIRST!

I doubt that the "Wildrose Alliance" has anything in common with these comedy parties (and Natural Law and Progressive Canadians might think they're serious political parties, but they're comedy.)

Disappointment and frustration with the provincial Progressive Conservative party seems quite intense in Alberta, and a lot of people will probably vote for this upstart party just out of spite.

-k

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Law_Party_of_Canada

Since they never won a seat they were never in any of the Debates. Back then at debates they didn't give "pity positions" like they gave Elizabeth May of the Greens last time. You had to prove you were a real player FIRST!

That was a great year for new parties. I don't have my original Natural Law Paper that I received in Hamilton. The policies are as per the wiki link, but they were in a weekly newprint format. Nicely drawn pictures of Yogic Flyers with positive thoughts bouncing through the air and creating the defensive shield... Priceless.

Real Parties, Reform blew in from the west and the National party blew out. I like them both at the time.

Disappointment and frustration with the provincial Progressive Conservative party seems quite intense in Alberta, and a lot of people will probably vote for this upstart party just out of spite.

-k

Eddie the Idiot is pissing people off in record numbers (which is good). You're right on the money that the WA is playing into this as much as possible and I believe will steal a huge number of votes because of it. Will those votes translate into seats? Maybe in some areas, but mostly I think they will serve to hammer the PC's on their popular vote and may destroy quite a few of the blow-out Tory ridings (65-75% popularity may be a thing of the past). That in itself will provide simply hours of sound bites on the news.

And Ed will be booted out on his ass (which is good).

• 1 month later...

There may be two years before the next election, but I think Eddie the Idiot may lose some "party faithful" and some MLA's over this. Great news.

It's heartening to see voters given an actual INSPIRING choice!

If they ever formed a federal party it would be interesting to see how the present CPC would be able to compete...

It's heartening to see voters given an actual INSPIRING choice!

If they ever formed a federal party it would be interesting to see how the present CPC would be able to compete...

That may not be a great idea. We saw what happened to the last party we sent to Ottawa - total destruction of it's principles. The WA needs to take over Alberta with a majority and implement the "Firewall letter" from years ago.

If they go federal, they'll just turn coattails again in order to get elected. Once outside the provincial border, they cease to represent the ideals that got them elected. Alberta is nothing like the ROC (in general terms) and therefore the same belief systems don't work.

That may not be a great idea. We saw what happened to the last party we sent to Ottawa - total destruction of it's principles. The WA needs to take over Alberta with a majority and implement the "Firewall letter" from years ago.

If they go federal, they'll just turn coattails again in order to get elected. Once outside the provincial border, they cease to represent the ideals that got them elected. Alberta is nothing like the ROC (in general terms) and therefore the same belief systems don't work.

Nothing like the rest of Canada? Well, Reform proved that wrong. When it got to Ontario it got a couple of million votes and was steadily increasing. The problem came when the Alliance got impatient and decided to morph into the old PC party, thinking that would be their ticket to a majority. The fact that it was a wrong decision does not change the amount of support they had garnered up to that point, or the fact that their support was still growing.

Wild Rose could capitalize on all the "disenchanted reformers" left dangling by the CPC. If they managed to severely hurt Harper's party I doubt if they would be so foolish as to repeat the Alliance's mistake. By then it would be pretty obvious that there's a price to be paid for turning your coat and rigging the game.

The present situation has been blatantly manipulated. The PMO is well aware that their Reform support has little or no choice but to vote for them. The problem is that no one likes to be manipulated! And the kind of people that joined Reform tend to have long memories. If they are ever offered an inspiring choice I truly believe the CPC would pay dearly for taking supporters so callously for granted.

As Manning had said, our enemy is not each other. It's Ottawa!

Edited by Wild Bill

So when Harper is done doing his worst in Ottawa and there is a new leader, what will Harper do, go back to Alberta? IF he goes back, will he run for Premier, and if he does, under Wildrose Alliance or PC? I'm sure he'll be doing something to help protect the oil and gas industry.

Under the PC banner, obviously! After all, he has abandoned his Reform roots and that was the seed for the WildRose. He has governed like a Progressive Conservative, essentially a clone of Mulroney right down to extending the range of the GST by getting more provinces onside with harmonization.

As for the oil and gas industry, if he DIDN'T do something to help protect them he could never be premier of Alberta, with any party! How on earth could someone get to be premier in that province without protecting oil jobs?

Stephen Harper will be remembered as a great Canadian and a man who changed this country for the better. Whatever he chooses to do after politics, I am sure his services will be highly sought after.

-k

Edited by kimmy

Stephen Harper will be remembered as a great Canadian and a man who changed this country for the better.

He will be remembered as the Prime Minister of Canada. Can't say as he has changed this country let alone changed anything for the better.

Whatever he chooses to do after politics, I am sure his services will be highly sought after.

-k

Mulroney and Chretian did well after their terms in office as has Martin. Why should Harper be any different. Political leaders always feather their nests.

Nothing like the rest of Canada? Well, Reform proved that wrong. When it got to Ontario it got a couple of million votes and was steadily increasing. The problem came when the Alliance got impatient and decided to morph into the old PC party, thinking that would be their ticket to a majority. The fact that it was a wrong decision does not change the amount of support they had garnered up to that point, or the fact that their support was still growing.

Wild Rose could capitalize on all the "disenchanted reformers" left dangling by the CPC. If they managed to severely hurt Harper's party I doubt if they would be so foolish as to repeat the Alliance's mistake. By then it would be pretty obvious that there's a price to be paid for turning your coat and rigging the game.

The present situation has been blatantly manipulated. The PMO is well aware that their Reform support has little or no choice but to vote for them. The problem is that no one likes to be manipulated! And the kind of people that joined Reform tend to have long memories. If they are ever offered an inspiring choice I truly believe the CPC would pay dearly for taking supporters so callously for granted.

As Manning had said, our enemy is not each other. It's Ottawa!

Alberta as a whole is little like the ROC as a whole. The reverse is also true: we have NDP'ers and Liberals in this province, but not enough to make a difference in the way Alberta votes as a whole. Reform was going nowhere until the PC's self destructed.

The worst thing that could happen would be for this party to go federal and split the right wing vote, allowing the Liberals to keep coming up the middle. The only thing keeping the right in power is the lack of an alternative to vote for on the right.

As for long memories, you are exactly correct. I loved watching Deb Grey, the political whore, getting heckled and booed from Reformers for turning tail and taking the pension money. Another hog to the trough. I know I am not alone in that I would punish the CPC for that BS, but there is no one else to vote for to keep the Liberals out of power.

Stephen Harper will be remembered as a great Canadian and a man who changed this country for the better. Whatever he chooses to do after politics, I am sure his services will be highly sought after.

-k

Harper will be remembered in Alberta, but not as fondly as many would believe. He and his party gave up on the belief base that put them in Ottawa, and as has been said over and over again, he remains in power because there is no one else to vote for. In my opinion, he would NEVER be elected as premier of this province because there are too many of us that think of him as a turncoat.

He'll do well on the lecture circuit, but all ex-PM's do.

Wildrose is the new Social Credit. I think they will succeed.

I hope so. You realize Social Credit designed the Alaskan Permanent Trust Fund. It is what the Alberta Heritage Trust Fund was supposed to look like, but the PC's got their mitts on it and well the rest is history. The Socred's were far right, yet socially left. They were like Panasonic, slightly ahead of their time. They had interesting monetary policies, trade policies, intergovernmental relations and numerous other little items that in retrospect have great relevance today.

I think the PC's are screwed and will lose power at the first opportunity which will be the next mandated general election. I will predict that the PC's don't actually call an election they will just let the clock run down. The smart thing for Albertans to do would be to get inside the Wildrose tent quickly and utilize the opportunity to shape policy prior to the next election.

"

And somebody, anybody, will be appointed from corporate Calgary so the world may return to normal.

But be careful what you wish for, if you lay out the fascist evangelist Morton as your boy like last time, you'll lose it all.

Ted is no angel and no savior. This I know. But you are correct that things need to return to normal. Albertans making more cash than the rest of Canada, spending more than the rest of Canada, with a brighter future than the rest of Canada.......and supporting the rest of Canada.

That being said, look at what Eddie the Idiot has done to this province. Screwed up the oilpatch, cut funding for the handicapped, cutting funding for education, the "health superboard", etc, etc. Just yesterday the poll results were released that show him to have the lowest approval rating in the country.....14%. From 43% in Jan 09 to 14% now. Unheard of to drop that much that fast. To get 14%, you have to be hated by pretty much every group in existence.

Ted is no angel and no savior. This I know. But you are correct that things need to return to normal. Albertans making more cash than the rest of Canada, spending more than the rest of Canada, with a brighter future than the rest of Canada.......and supporting the rest of Canada.

That being said, look at what Eddie the Idiot has done to this province. Screwed up the oilpatch, cut funding for the handicapped, cutting funding for education, the "health superboard", etc, etc. Just yesterday the poll results were released that show him to have the lowest approval rating in the country.....14%. From 43% in Jan 09 to 14% now. Unheard of to drop that much that fast. To get 14%, you have to be hated by pretty much every group in existence.

Perhaps Alberta should consider the possibility that their economy sinks or floats based solely on the price of oil.

Perhaps the have-not provinces should consider the possibility that their welfare cheques and finances sink or float based solely on the price of oil.

That may be true, but after a couple of decades of listening to Albertans toot their own horns about their government's supergreat financial prowess, I'd like to think somewhere in that great province someone is thinking "Maybe it wasn't politicians, maybe it was oil prices..."

That may be true, but after a couple of decades of listening to Albertans toot their own horns about their government's supergreat financial prowess, I'd like to think somewhere in that great province someone is thinking "Maybe it wasn't politicians, maybe it was oil prices..."

Oh, but we did fine in the Times Before Stelmach. We know better than anyone the effects that energy prices have on our province and we have done admirably well despite the various crashes since the NEP.

Then we go and elect a too-far liberal left wing Idiot named Eddie (the most excellent Deputy Minister of Agriculture - or at least that's what he should have been). You can go on as much as you'd like about oil prices, but the fact remains that we have always survived and prospered regardless of prices. We had pretty damn good financial management prior to The Idiot. Even Ralph the Drunk was a major advantage (at least in his first two terms).