Wildrose Alliance vies for second place

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Wildrose+Alli...9239/story.html

But increased media attention after former Alliance leader Paul Hinman captured Calgary-Glenmore in a byelection — and ahead of the fledgling party’s Oct. 17 leadership vote — has led to a new level of support for a party that “up until now (was) a very fringe element,” Ellis said.

Across the province, the poll suggests 38.4 per cent of Albertans would vote for Stelmach’s Tories today, compared to the 52.7 per cent who supported the party in the 2008 election.

Alliance support was at 21.5 per cent in the poll, up sharply from 6.8 per cent of the votes the party took in the last election.

The poll had the Liberals at 20.8 per cent, the NDP at 10.7 per cent and other parties at a total of 8.5 per cent. The Alberta Greens were deregistered this summer.

Certainly a huge climb up.

However, the PCs are still comfortably ahead.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Wildrose+Alli...9239/story.html

Certainly a huge climb up.

However, the PCs are still comfortably ahead.

Danielle Smith would certainly be an interesting choice as leader. I wasn't aware that she was involved in politics at all... I remember her hosting a weekend news show, although I was not a regular viewer. She struck me as bright, articulate, and engaging, and her background probably gives her a lot of media savvy. I don't know if she has any credentials at all, but media savvy seems to be a real asset if you want to be premier of Alberta.

-k

More polls suggesting Alberta PCs in freefall..

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/20...#socialcomments

If an election were held today, the Tories would still lead with 30 per cent support, followed by the Wildrose Alliance with 22 per cent, according to the survey conducted by Return On Insight, a strategic research consulting company.

The Alberta Liberals would place third with 18 per cent support, followed by the Alberta NDP with nine per cent, and the Green Party of Alberta — which was deregistered as a provincial political party in July — with four per cent.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1322713/

Danielle Smith would certainly be an interesting choice as leader. I wasn't aware that she was involved in politics at all... I remember her hosting a weekend news show, although I was not a regular viewer. She struck me as bright, articulate, and engaging, and her background probably gives her a lot of media savvy. I don't know if she has any credentials at all, but media savvy seems to be a real asset if you want to be premier of Alberta.

very shallow and one dimensional... just like the average Albertan, so she'll appeal to many...

expect the conservatives to make the most of her past as someone who publicly advocated dismantling our medicare system...now she says she won't, talk about hidden agenda...

Is this Wildrose Alliance the same Alliance party that the PM belonged to? Do they have the same party beliefs? I saw the results of when Harper was the head of the Alliance Party and he was running against the PC. in Alberta. The PC had the lead over Harper and this is when Harper must have realized he needed to be a PC or C to get to the PMO!

Is this Wildrose Alliance the same Alliance party that the PM belonged to? Do they have the same party beliefs? I saw the results of when Harper was the head of the Alliance Party and he was running against the PC. in Alberta. The PC had the lead over Harper and this is when Harper must have realized he needed to be a PC or C to get to the PMO!

I can't make any sense out of your question!

The Reform Party became the Canadian Alliance Party. They never ever ran provincially, in Alberta or any other province.

The only time Reform, the Alliance, Harper, Manning or any of them ever ran against the PC's was federally. Every time they totally obliterated the PC's for votes! ESPECIALLY in Alberta!

The only votes the PC's got were for a few ridings in the Maritimes. They actually didn't have enough at one point to be a legal federal party.

I was a scrutineer one election here in Hamilton, Ontario. I got to be one of the group counting ballots from one polling box. The riding had been strongly Liberal so we didn't actually expect to win but we were counting on a strong showing.

Our counting group consisted of me for Reform, a Liberal worker and one from the PC's. As we counted out the ballots Reform started off strong but soon it became obvious that we would be only a strong second place. Disappointing, but no real surprise.

What was a surprise was the number of votes for the PC's. They got almost nothing! The Yogic Flyer candidate of the goofy Natural Law Party actually got more votes than the PC's! The PC scrutineer looked shell-shocked, as if someone had kicked him in the belly. The Liberal guy and I actually felt sorry for him!

The Alberta Alliance Party and the Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance Party were not the same parties. Similar to the way that the Libertal Party of B.C. is not the same as the Liberal Party of Canada.

very shallow and one dimensional... just like the average Albertan, so she'll appeal to many...
I'm not a Canadian but you sound as if you're the typical Liberal or Dipper who decries racism or prejudice at every turn. This post is rather prejudiced in my opinion; against Albertans.

You must come from Toronto.

What was a surprise was the number of votes for the PC's. They got almost nothing! The Yogic Flyer candidate of the goofy Natural Law Party actually got more votes than the PC's! The PC scrutineer looked shell-shocked, as if someone had kicked him in the belly. The Liberal guy and I actually felt sorry for him!
What a story. How did the Work Less Party (link to party website) do?

I'm not a Canadian but you sound as if you're the typical Liberal or Dipper who decries racism or prejudice at every turn. This post is rather prejudiced in my opinion; against Albertans.

Generally, idiots like this are fueled by jealousy of Alberta. Can't have our wealth except that which we donate through inter-provincial welfare, so they make bonehead comments to make themselves feel relevant in the world.

You know the type...

I am owed universal healthcare and I'll damn well go to a hospital emergency room for a splinter if I feel like it.

I am owed welfare, so I'll sit on my ass and let working people pay for me if I feel like it.

I am owed money that comes from Alberta because I'm Canadian, and I'll have a great time telling everyone how evil they are while they pay my way in the world if I feel like it.

As Albertans, we're used to morons like this and their inane comments. Doesn't really bother us because we tend to consider the source, and the lack of common sense and intelligence they possess.

Generally, idiots like this are fueled by jealousy of Alberta. Can't have our wealth except that which we donate through inter-provincial welfare, so they make bonehead comments to make themselves feel relevant in the world.

See, I really like Alberta...but statements like the one above make people angry and resentful. Some provinces give to Confederation, and others need help. Alberta, being blessed with the second most wealth per capita gives the most, and it makes the whole country better. Statments that basically accuse every other province of being lazy and jealous don't make anything better.

See, I really like Alberta...but statements like the one above make people angry and resentful. Some provinces give to Confederation, and others need help. Alberta, being blessed with the second most wealth per capita gives the most, and it makes the whole country better. Statments that basically accuse every other province of being lazy and jealous don't make anything better.

No. Statements like mine accuse every other lazy and jealous idiot of being angry and resentful. I said nothing of provinces.

What a story. How did the Work Less Party (link to party website) do?

New to me! Kinda attractive, though! :P

I was describing an election of over 15 years ago. Post Rhino and pre-Work Less, I guess.

The Yogic Flyers were amazing! They actually were sincere! They seemed to believe that the glow from bags of granola could save the universe!

There was talk that they were going to build a huge theme park in upper New York state near Niagara Falls but nothing ever came of it.

I remember on suggestion from the Rhino Party back in the 80's to tip the CN Tower over and lay it on the ground, so that the elevators could be used for rapid transit!

The Yogic Flyers were amazing! They actually were sincere! They seemed to believe that the glow from bags of granola could save the universe!

I remember on suggestion from the Rhino Party back in the 80's to tip the CN Tower over and lay it on the ground, so that the elevators could be used for rapid transit!

How many ridings did the Yogic Flyers and Rhinos get?

from Toronto??? nope Calgary...land of the retarded rednecks(apologies to the mentally handicapped everywhere for the analogy)...

As Albertans, we're used to morons like this and their inane comments. Doesn't really bother us because we tend to consider the source, and the lack of common sense and intelligence they possess.

:rolleyes: it doesn't bother you because stupid people are too stupid to realize they're stupid...

not funny nor witty...which validates my opinion...

What because I have expressed to you the same sentiment you have expressed to others. Might be time to get off that high horse and look in the mirror.

Edited by Alta4ever

How many ridings did the Yogic Flyers and Rhinos get?
The Wild Rose has a long way to go ................. :P

The Rhinos, I only read about, but the Yogic Flyers...I actually saw in action in Hamilton while I was in University. The Natural Law Party, was doing their presentation with Doug Henning, (who was the big draw), and they were showing how Natural Law creates health, security and defence. Yes defending Canada from ICBMs with positive thoughts. You have to believe or it won't work.

But then they sat there with legs crossed. They took a room of negative and cynical people and said that before we left we would be filled with postive thougths. The room was too negative for their liking and they were going to change with natural law. Soon afterwards they were meditating and one or another would start to bounce on their butts. Then another and another and another until around 30 people on cushions were bouncing on their asses. The theory was they could meditate until being able to fly.

People in the audience started laughing and couldn't stop. It was hilarious. It was hilarious disbelief. And sure enough all the negative cynical people left the lecture hall smiling and laughing.

The Natural Law party didn't win any seats, but IIRC they were the party that financially profited the most from the Federal Election.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Law_Party_of_Canada

The Natural Law Party of Canada (NLPC) was the Canadian branch of the international Natural Law Party founded in 1992 by a group of educators, business leaders, and lawyers who practiced Transcendental Meditation.[1]

The magician Doug Henning was Senior Vice President of NLPC, and ran as the party's candidate for the former Toronto riding of Rosedale in the 1993 federal election, finishing sixth out of ten candidates.[2][3][4] The party was led by Dr. Neil Paterson.

The NLPC supported federal funding for further research in the technique of yogic flying, a part of the TM-Sidhi program, as a tool for achieving world peace. The NLPC platform maintained that once it took over the government, Canada’s crime, unemployment, and deficit would disappear.