Ex-Tory MP Jaffer charged with cocaine possession

jdobbin

Helen didn't look very well the first day back and I guess it was about her hubby and what was to come out. Did any of you know that doing cocaine you can lose your nose? On a program about your age against your body age, this 25 guy, has had half the cartilage fall out from doing coke and the doctor told him if he continue he wouldn't have any cartiage left to support his nose. He was a heavy smoker, and drinker besides and his body age was 51 because of his abuse.

And three other admitted users all became something in succession......President of the United States.

Amazing how this has the power to be put off and off.

Anyone remember the BC Legislature raid?

Yeah almost 7 years ago.

Sheeple being sheeple and all.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From section 486(1) of the Criminal Code:

There are circumstances under which judges can order a publication ban, but I can't imagine why that would be necessary in this case.

open court n. the conduct of judicial proceedings (trials, hearings and routine matters such as trial settings) in which the public may be present.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/open+court

It`s nice to see Conservatives showing sympathy for an accused criminal now and again, though.

What sympathy I never liked Jaffer, like I said what bearing on anyones life, he is no longer living in the fish bowl, its just too bad the justice bills got held up by the commons and senate commitees and weren't signed into law.

It`s nice to see Conservatives showing sympathy for an accused criminal now and again, though.

Taking it to the extreme, if an ex-MP of any political stripe blows his brains out after leaving public office I won't lose any sleep. Same goes for criminal charges not linked to his term in office.

The guy obviously has problems so why are the vultures like you circling, what bearing does his criminal proceeding have on you life?

For one, I live in Barrie, which is not far from where Jaffer lives. If he is guilty of drunk driving, I'd like to know that he won't be allowed back on the road.

Second, I'd like to know if someone who was in a position of power may have had their judgement impaired by drug abuse or alcoholism.

Third, I'd like to know if someone in a position of power was associating with criminals. You don't get cocaine at the corner store.

Simple. He's an ex-C-o-n-s-e-r-v-a-t-i-v-e MP and worthy of a public hanging.

actually... given his wife, Helena Guergis, has held various ministry positions in the Harper Conservative government... that his wife is currently the 'Minister of State for the Status of Women', there may be interested parties wondering about her personal involvements, her personal lifestyle choices that might parallel the current cocaine possession charges that have been laid against her husband, Mr. Rahim Jaffer. Certainly... one should not presume guilt by association, particularly since Jaffer's guilt has yet to be established... and, of course, even if Jaffer were to be convicted, it is conceivable, that Ms. Guergis would have known nothing about her husband's (alleged) cocaine drug usage.

For one, I live in Barrie, which is not far from where Jaffer lives. If he is guilty of drunk driving, I'd like to know that he won't be allowed back on the road.

So are you going to post lists of every convicted drunk driver in the barrie area so the others know that they won't be allowed back on the road?

Second, I'd like to know if someone who was in a position of power may have had their judgement impaired by drug abuse or alcoholism.

That is not the charge nor has any evidence been brought forward to insinuate. It seems that to you this is more about politics then it is about justice.

On a side note I wonder what your position on a certain ex oylmpic snowbarder who is now a liberal nominee for the next election. I just wonder.

Edited by Alta4ever

Yeah, it is too bad that parliament was prorogued, isn't it?

So do you think something magical would have happened between the beginning of Christmas break and Jan. 27, that would have caused those bills to receive royal assent while the house wasn't sitting?

Maybe I'm confused, but between January 25th and now, it seems there could have been a lot of work done in moving bills forward...especially when it came to those that only needed Royal assent. My point wasn't at all to pick on the prorogation, it was to show that it isn't only the other parties that held up the bills, and if you say that it was, you're being intentionally deceitful.

Whats it to you? He is no longer an MP his life is no longer in the fish bowl.

What's the matter? Aren't you going to criticize CTV or the Canadian Press or the Globe and Mail for continuing to follow this story?

It seems that Jaffer's own lawyer announced this 'resolution' to the press. This would no doubt have been done on Jaffer's instructions.

I wonder if Jaffer will get one of those deals that conservative law-and-order types like to get outraged about?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Jaffer will get one of those deals that conservative law-and-order types like to get outraged about?

Rahim Jaffer pleads guilty to careless driving charge:

The judge, Mr. Justice Doug Maund said he could read “between the lines” of the evidence presented to him.

I'm sure you can recognize a break when you see one” the judge told Mr. Jaffer.

The former MP was sentenced to a $500 fine. He had already agreed to make a $500 charitable donation to the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/rahim-jaffer-pleads-guilty-to-careless-driving-charge/article1494775/ Edited by robert_viera

People get those kind of breaks all the time... surely. :angry:

Of course they do. Especially first time offenders. Heck, I know a fellow who got caught with a weapon (pepper spray) and a few ounces of hash and still received a suspended sentence. He had been caught before...and then the case was dismissed so technically he was a first time offender.

Had he been unemployed he probably would have got weekends...

Of course they do. Especially first time offenders.

I heard the first time offender Jaffer's media-scrum... where he talks of how sorry he is, how this was a very serious matter - while at the same time emphasizing, at least twice that I heard, this was about careless driving. It seems that break he caught didn't include any modicum of cautious reservation in recognizing he really did catch a break. By the letter of the law... with an attached break that Jaffer most certainly didn't highlight, didn't acknowledge... it was only about careless driving.