Ex-Tory MP Jaffer charged with cocaine possession

jdobbin

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste. He seemed to have a lot going for him. I liked him as a speaker on the Don Newman show. He's young enough.....but he'll probably need 5 or 10 years in the wilderness doing some sort of pennance before he can think of ressurecting his political career.

Yeah, that worked well for Sven Robinson...

I never really liked him, and not because he was Conservative. He seemed very arrogant, in my opinion.

Cocky is how I would describe him. I did not miss pretty boy whatsoever when he failed to get re-elected. This experience should knock him down a peg or two.

Helena Guergis may well end up on the back benches because of his antics and that's a pity.

Cocky is how I would describe him. I did not miss pretty boy whatsoever when he failed to get re-elected.

Yeah, maybe that was it. I was really hoping that the Conservatives would replace him for his weakly appearance on Politics. In the end, the voters of Edmonton - Strathcona (is that the one ?) did.

Helen didn't look very well the first day back and I guess it was about her hubby and what was to come out. Did any of you know that doing cocaine you can lose your nose? On a program about your age against your body age, this 25 guy, has had half the cartilage fall out from doing coke and the doctor told him if he continue he wouldn't have any cartiage left to support his nose. He was a heavy smoker, and drinker besides and his body age was 51 because of his abuse.

Really? What's your point? That only a Conservative can be a hypocrite and NDippers are on the side of the angels?

Back in the late 70's a buddy had me over to his parents' house for supper. The mealtime conversation turned to politics and at one point I mentioned the name of our local NDP MP.

The room temperature dropped about 20 degrees C! When we later left I asked my buddy what happened. Did I inadvertently strike a nerve?

He sighed and explained that this NDP MP had taken his sister as his mistress when she was 14. He had installed her in an apartment in Ottawa and by the time she was 16 (She looked older!) he was squiring her around to political functions.

In those days the press kept quiet about such things. Today of course the reporters would have had a field day.

He kept stringing her along promising he was going to leave his wife. You know, the usual hypocrisy! Eventually, he decided to stay with his wife and dumped her.

I've named no names but this is NOT hearsay as far as I'm concerned! It was common knowledge amongst a wide circle.

Politicians are not all either saints or devils, depending on their party. We had a Liberal MP earlier to the NDP one. I first met him personally banging his way off alternate walls as he tried to get down the hall to his hotel room, with urine running down his leg.

So they're all human. Big deal. Just give us a break with the "Conservatives are hypocrites" crap! It's one PERSON, not every Conservative!

How can you make such a comment about all Tories? Do you know them all individually?

You show simple partisan prejudice with such a statement.

You sure it wasn't "family values" Vic Toews?

What a hypocrite runs antidrug commercials against the NDP then gets drunk and high and endangers the life of families by speeding down the road in an impaired state.

You sure it wasn't "family values" Vic Toews?

What a hypocrite runs antidrug commercials against the NDP then gets drunk and high and endangers the life of families by speeding down the road in an impaired state.

I will doubt you will find many that wouldn't want his punishement to follow the letter of the law. Once he has had his day in court I hope the law is applied to him the same in which it is applied to any citizen who is in the same circumstance. No special treatment.

Jaffer has been charged with driving while over the legal blood-alcohol limit, and with possession of cocaine.

What I'd really like to see come out of this is an inquiry into the likelihood that alcohol is a gateway drug and if it should be prohibited in the name of protecting society.

In my dreams... :lol:

I will doubt you will find many that wouldn't want his punishement to follow the letter of the law. Once he has had his day in court I hope the law is applied to him the same in which it is applied to any citizen who is in the same circumstance. No special treatment.

he's not a MP anymore so it's a non story as far as I'm concerned, he's just another Canadian that got busted and would I hope gets the same treatment as any other Canadian, no better or worse...

Really? What's your point? That only a Conservative can be a hypocrite and NDippers are on the side of the angels?

Back in the late 70's a buddy had me over to his parents' house for supper. The mealtime conversation turned to politics and at one point I mentioned the name of our local NDP MP.

The room temperature dropped about 20 degrees C! When we later left I asked my buddy what happened. Did I inadvertently strike a nerve?

He sighed and explained that this NDP MP had taken his sister as his mistress when she was 14. He had installed her in an apartment in Ottawa and by the time she was 16 (She looked older!) he was squiring her around to political functions.

In those days the press kept quiet about such things. Today of course the reporters would have had a field day.

He kept stringing her along promising he was going to leave his wife. You know, the usual hypocrisy! Eventually, he decided to stay with his wife and dumped her.

I've named no names but this is NOT hearsay as far as I'm concerned! It was common knowledge amongst a wide circle.

Politicians are not all either saints or devils, depending on their party. We had a Liberal MP earlier to the NDP one. I first met him personally banging his way off alternate walls as he tried to get down the hall to his hotel room, with urine running down his leg.

So they're all human. Big deal. Just give us a break with the "Conservatives are hypocrites" crap! It's one PERSON, not every Conservative!

How can you make such a comment about all Tories? Do you know them all individually?

You show simple partisan prejudice with such a statement.

Wow, what a waste of time typing all that.... no WB, that was not my point at all. Read my quote, I was making fun of Jaffer's political ad that took a swipe at Layton's stance on pot (which most people agree is not as dangerous as cocaine) and ended with the 'vote Conservative'...

A little more clear now, or should I elaborate?

Wow, what a waste of time typing all that.... no WB, that was not my point at all. Read my quote, I was making fun of Jaffer's political ad that took a swipe at Layton's stance on pot (which most people agree is not as dangerous as cocaine) and ended with the 'vote Conservative'...

A little more clear now, or should I elaborate?

I did read your quote! I'll add a little more:

"...snort a couple of lines, have a few drinks, then go speeding along... cause that's how the conservatives roll! "

I will grant that your excuse could also work if one put the emphasis on the internal quote to your post.

However, you're not the only one I thought was partisan. I stand by my words. A number of posters here tar their political rivals with one brush, or have an amazing warped sense of equivalency in blaming Tories for spitting on the sidewalk as a crime against the Universe.

Or implying all Liberals are crooks because one Liberal Senator ripped off some nuns!

I prefer to dislike people as individuals... ;)

I did read your quote! I'll add a little more:

"...snort a couple of lines, have a few drinks, then go speeding along... cause that's how the conservatives roll! "

I will grant that your excuse could also work if one put the emphasis on the internal quote to your post.

However, you're not the only one I thought was partisan. I stand by my words. A number of posters here tar their political rivals with one brush, or have an amazing warped sense of equivalency in blaming Tories for spitting on the sidewalk as a crime against the Universe.

Or implying all Liberals are crooks because one Liberal Senator ripped off some nuns!

I prefer to dislike people as individuals... ;)

to be fair, when a party takes a "we're tough on drugs" they deserve to have it rubbed in their face when caught doing what they advocate jail for other people for doing. Thats not partisan its just pointing out the hypocricy.

to be fair, when a party takes a "we're tough on drugs" they deserve to have it rubbed in their face when caught doing what they advocate jail for other people for doing. Thats not partisan its just pointing out the hypocricy.

the "party" did not get caught an ex mp did.

Right. One wonders whether his wife, the sitting 'family values' MP, knew about his habits wrt cocaine and drunk driving.

Since she was vocally anti-floor-crossing right up until she became David Emersons assistant (then it magically became okay), should we now expect a similar shift to leniency for possession and impaired driving ?

Right. One wonders whether his wife, the sitting 'family values' MP, knew about his habits wrt cocaine and drunk driving.

Since she was vocally anti-floor-crossing right up until she became David Emersons assistant (then it magically became okay), should we now expect a similar shift to leniency for possession and impaired driving ?

Molly, I've got a news flash for you. They're ALL hypocrites! ;)

It's really not worth pointing out these examples! All politicians of all parties have both a private and a public persona. The only one they show us is the public one, which is dictated by their party HQ. The party whip tells them what they officially stand for and even though privately they may think differently that is their official facade.

Our system is based on ruthless party solidarity. We have a tradition that a defeat on pretty well any kind of Bill is to be treated as a non-confidence motion. This was something that Manning dearly wanted to change. Apparently, since it is a tradition and not part of our legal structure all that it would take is a declaration at the start of a parliamentary session that only major Bills like money stuff were to be considered votes of confidence. This would allow MP's to vote by conscience or better yet, by the wishes of their constituents.

A Tory gets caught snorting coke, a Liberal passes out envelopes of money and Jack and his wife live in palatial Toronto digs considered subsidized housing. What else is new? Bob Rae sent his granny to a Buffalo hospital to avoid waiting lists. Ho hum, ho hum.

They are all merely 'players on a stage', proxies that vote the party line in order to help achieve the Party's official agenda. The idea of free votes and representing the people of your riding over the wishes of your party was one of Reform's most popular ideas so the parties sometimes will 'fake it'. They will take a nose count to make sure that a few dissenters won't matter to the result. When a few of their boys or girls vote 'contrarian' they will trumpet to the news flacks "See! We allow our members freedom!" but in the final analysis, it's just a show to fool us rubes.

Parties don't really care if their member MP's are saints or true to their official values. They only care if they are popular enough in their riding to make it secure next election for the party. I think I must have told you before how once after the campaign started Reform discovered that one of their candidates had secretly been a racist! They had no time left to come up with another candidate so they chose to fire his ass out the door and run no one, leaving the riding uncontested.

Meanwhile, the Liberals had found themselves in exactly the same position in one of their ridings. They let him stand, telling the reporters "Well, golly gee, what can we do? There's no time to get a replacement so we'll just let him run and if he wins we'll get him some counseling!"

When they ALL do it it becomes a null factor. We're left to make our decisions on the official agenda of each party, with very little reason to support a candidate as an individual. After all, under our system you could elect Jesus Christ Returned and it wouldn't matter, if he belonged to an Opposition party. All an Opposition MP can do is appoint a staff that is very good at straightening out EI snafus and the like. As far as getting big money help for his riding he's essentially impotent.

To crib from classic SNL's Jack Handey, if you lower your expectations things will not bother you so much! :P

IF the Tories are tough on drugs, then shouldn't Nichols find out WHERE Jaffer bought his coke?? Didn't they said they want to stamp out the suppliers? I wonder how many politicans do drugs?

Maybe they should imprison Jaffer BEFORE trial, drag out the court process until he has served the ammount of time they feel is an appropriate sentence and then take away the judges right to give extra credit for time served in jail without a trial.

Maybe they should imprison Jaffer BEFORE trial, drag out the court process until he has served the ammount of time they feel is an appropriate sentence and then take away the judges right to give extra credit for time served in jail without a trial.

Are sure you are not being too lenient?

Molly, I've got a news flash for you. They're ALL hypocrites!

Bill, I could not disagree more vehemently. If I believed that only hypocrites offer themselves for election, I would have given up on voting 40 years ago.. but more than a few potential candidates are honorable, qualified and completely sincere. Some even manage to stay that way after a few years within the party/political system.

When I have such a one on my ballot, they usually get my vote.

(If a few more voters demand integrity from the candidates for whom they vote, we could even eliminate that sizeable hypocrite faction among our elected representatives... but as long as folks vote for a kitten-eater so long as they are waving the team flag...)

Edited by Molly

• 2 months later...