Ex-Tory MP Jaffer charged with cocaine possession

jdobbin

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Former Conservative MP Rahim Jaffer is facing charges of drunk driving and cocaine possession.

Jaffer, husband of federal Tory cabinet minister Helena Guergis, was arrested in the wee hours of Friday morning by Ontario Provincial Police in the village of Palgrave, north of Toronto.

Police report that the officer who stopped a speeding SUV at about 12:45 a.m. could smell alcohol.

Jaffer has been charged with driving while over the legal blood-alcohol limit, and with possession of cocaine.

This is likely the big story I kept hearing about on Friday that no one wanted to say aloud until the police report.

Very sad news on the arrest.

Hopefully, he will be able to deal overcome the issue the led to such a dangerous situation from happening.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of which, these, by rights, should throw the book at Jaffer, and Jaffer in with the general population.

Not for a first offense or for simple possesion. If that ain;t the case then why shouldn't he not be thrown in with the rest?

These are the people that we constantly somehow manage to elect....

He was a promising MP when he was elected. He made a few mistakes along the way but he had been climbing out of that when he was surprisingly defeated in the last election.

I teased about his quickie marriage the day after the election but it seemed like something that might make him more grounded. I thought we see him back in politics again at some point.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

This is likely the big story I kept hearing about on Friday that no one wanted to say aloud until the police report.

Very sad news on the arrest.

Hopefully, he will be able to deal overcome the issue the led to such a dangerous situation from happening.

Conservatives are tough on Drug Users. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, these, by rights, should throw the book at Jaffer, and Jaffer in with the general population.

Simple possession will be a slap on the wrist. Depends on whether they have enough evidence for an impaired driving charge (very hard to make stick in court in spite of what our politicians tell us) or whether they just gave him ( more likely) a 24 hr suspension. That's how we treat the general population, particularly if it is a first offense.

I think anyone should get a second chance, particularly if they haven't caused harm to someone else. It's the seemingly unlimited chances our system often gives people that ticks me off.

But wait, if you buy now, there's more!

Jaffer, 37, was MP for the riding of Edmonton-Strathcona from 1997 until a surprise defeat in last year's election.

Days before the vote, Jaffer's campaign approved radio ads chiding NDP Leader Jack Layton for comments years earlier that Jaffer cast as broad support for marijuana use.

The spots said, in part: "Edmontonians understand how difficult it is to make sure our children make the right choices, especially on serious issues like drug use. The Conservative Party supports drug-free schools and getting tough with drug dealers who sell illegal drugs to children. Don't let our schools go up in smoke. On October 14th vote Conservative."

Link

You heard that kids, don't smoke weed like those reckless NDP commies, snort a couple of lines, have a few drinks, then go speeding along... cause that's how the conservatives roll!

How do you mean?
He enjoyed the priviledge of being an MP, but never took the job seriously. He needed a nursemaid around to handle his affairs. I said he was a weak MP and needed to go, and it took awhile, but finally, thankfully happened.

And those "mistakes" would demonstrate his true character.

So, I'm interested in seeing if Helena shares his passion for Drugs.

Any bets on how she would do in a drug test?

Conservatives are tough on Crime.

Soon, DR Greenthumb will appear in the forum. He'll probably pull out all the hypocrisy of the CPC MP and his criminal actions.

:lol::lol::lol:

No Conservatives are tough on crime. Seriously, they are TOUGH.

Tough on crime I tell you.

Its jail. If it was some back alley user, they'd make certain that criminal was locked up good.

Tough. :P

You can blame it on the Conservatives, the Liberals, the judicial system itself or the Tooth Fairy if you want, it's the way our system works. Has done for years. A high profile offender might even be treated more severely, merely because the powers that be don't want to be looked at as being soft.

I think anyone should get a second chance, particularly if they haven't caused harm to someone else. It's the seemingly unlimited chances our system often gives people that ticks me off.

His second chance is probably one that the court will exact a price from. A full confessional and a court order to educate people about how he came to do what he always preached against is probably the price of a stiffer penalty.

His second chance is probably one that the court will exact a price from. A full confessional and a court order to educate people about how he came to do what he always preached against is probably the price of a stiffer penalty.

Wouldn't be surprised. Combined with completing Charm School as we used to call it, that would have the potential to accomplish more than throwing the guy in the slammer for a year or two.

What a dumb-ass, that's all I can say.

I am not one who believes in harsh sentences for drug users, but I expect someone who has a high profile to behave more responsibly. Jaffer can kiss his political future (whatever that might have been) goodbye. I don't know if he was slated to run again in Edmonton Strathcona, or if they'd have picked a fresh face, but as a former Conservative MP I could have certainly imagined Jaffer winding up in some sort of bogus patronage role; that's likely gone forever.

No Conservatives are tough on crime. Seriously, they are TOUGH.

Tough on crime I tell you.

Its jail. If it was some back alley user, they'd make certain that criminal was locked up good.

Tough. :P

Not sure if you've heard, but the judiciary is independent of elected officials. Whether the Conservatives hope he gets off with a warning and an educational video, or whether they hope he rots in jail forever, it's out of their hands.

People who hope to see Jaffer do hard time are probably SOL. If you wanted harsher sentences for drug users, you should have sent more Conservative MPs to Ottawa. :P

But wait, if you buy now, there's more!

Link

You heard that kids, don't smoke weed like those reckless NDP commies, snort a couple of lines, have a few drinks, then go speeding along... cause that's how the conservatives roll!

Marijuana is for hippies.

Cocaine's a professional person's drug.

;)

-k

... cause that's how the conservatives roll!

Really? What's your point? That only a Conservative can be a hypocrite and NDippers are on the side of the angels?

Back in the late 70's a buddy had me over to his parents' house for supper. The mealtime conversation turned to politics and at one point I mentioned the name of our local NDP MP.

The room temperature dropped about 20 degrees C! When we later left I asked my buddy what happened. Did I inadvertently strike a nerve?

He sighed and explained that this NDP MP had taken his sister as his mistress when she was 14. He had installed her in an apartment in Ottawa and by the time she was 16 (She looked older!) he was squiring her around to political functions.

In those days the press kept quiet about such things. Today of course the reporters would have had a field day.

He kept stringing her along promising he was going to leave his wife. You know, the usual hypocrisy! Eventually, he decided to stay with his wife and dumped her.

I've named no names but this is NOT hearsay as far as I'm concerned! It was common knowledge amongst a wide circle.

Politicians are not all either saints or devils, depending on their party. We had a Liberal MP earlier to the NDP one. I first met him personally banging his way off alternate walls as he tried to get down the hall to his hotel room, with urine running down his leg.

So they're all human. Big deal. Just give us a break with the "Conservatives are hypocrites" crap! It's one PERSON, not every Conservative!

How can you make such a comment about all Tories? Do you know them all individually?

You show simple partisan prejudice with such a statement.