Government could fall as early as Friday

jdobbin

I'm an NDP member and I am pissed at Layton for supporting Harper, I may vote liberal in the next election when it finally comes, I might even campaigne for the liberals. I think Jack will pay dearly in terms of support for propping up Harper

I have heard he thinks potheads are lazy slackers...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an NDP member and I am pissed at Layton for supporting Harper, I may vote liberal in the next election when it finally comes, I might even campaigne for the liberals. I think Jack will pay dearly in terms of support for propping up Harper

Yah good luck with that, personally I will take a win where I can get one. Extending EI benefits is a win, there is no difference between the Conservatives and Liberals right now anyway so having one is as good as the other but if one is willing to push our agenda I will take them until the next vote.

Yah good luck with that, personally I will take a win where I can get one. Extending EI benefits is a win, there is no difference between the Conservatives and Liberals right now anyway so having one is as good as the other but if one is willing to push our agenda I will take them until the next vote.
So you willing support a Govt. that you are fundamentally against just so you get thrown a bone once in a while?

How unfortunate.... :(

Edited by Who's Doing What?

That is fine the NDP just saved 190,000 unemployed workers from falling off EI as the economy improves and they can find jobs and you take issue with that. I hope the Liberals run against saving those 190,000 people it seems like a real issue for you to run on.

As I recall it is a conservative bill, that Jack had no input on.

The Tories had no intention of doing anything in the panel. The Liberals said let's talks about the numbers and Harper made up crap that was shown when the Budget Officer looked at it. There was no compromise. Period.

The only reason there is anything now is because there would be an election without it.

Ignatieff knew he was't going to support the government.....and he should have known that SOMETHING would come out of EI because the Conservatives promised help - if not, he could have really hammered the Conservatives. But once again, his inexperience and petulance betrayed him. By walking away, he took another bullet out of his gun. Now on this issue, Harper has the high ground - they've helped Canadians - and the Liberals walked away. It doesn't matter what the reasons are, that's just the way it has played out and for the most part, that's how many Canadians see it. Thi8s was Mr. Ignatieff's "big" issue - and he walked away.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Wikipedia gives a good summary

A lot more newspapers endorsed the Conservatives than the Liberals.

I get a kick out of people complaining about the so-called liberal (or Liberal) media.

Oh my God....they had no choice....Stephane Dion for God's sake! Except for shameless Star, this was the only time that I can remember that a leader was such an embarrassment to their party - although to be fair, the party was an embarrassment to the leader as well. In general, the Star is unabashedly and shamelessly Liberal, the Globe leans heavily to Liberals but shows some balance and respect, and the National Post leans heavily to the Conservatives but also shows some balance and respect. The Star shows absolutely no respect for the Conservatives and will slant just about any headline in a negative fashion. Several of their reporters seem like they just got out of High School in terms of their childish rants.

Thi8s was Mr. Ignatieff's "big" issue - and he walked away.

Nothing was happening over the summer on the issue. Nothing. The Tories refused to even discuss the issue and instead simply made bombastic claims that were later dismissed by their own appointed expert.

There would have likely been no change had Ignatieff stated he had lost confidence.

That's the point Punked; they're not pushing your agenda. The conservative plan doesn't even remotely resemble what the NDP were looking for. It's quite funny that Layton decides to support the CPC now, when once again his vote doesn't matter. The Bloc has already said they'd support the CPC on the upcoming ways and means.

Further he stated earlier in the article below he'd only support the CPC if they met three criteria, EI reform, (kind of got it I guess), the credit card limits issue which the CPC won't ever touch and pension protection guarantees. I guess 1 out of 3 isn't too bad right, well closer to .25 out of three considering how little EI reform they're getting compared to what they were seeking.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/09/03/...tion090309.html

Layton also said this

After a face-to-face meeting with Harper in Ottawa last week, Layton told reporters the NDP would be the "least likely" of political parties to support the Conservatives in office "because we have very fundamental differences with the direction that they're taking the country."

Suddenly Layton is OK with the direction the CPC is taking the country, which has remained fundamentally unchanged?

Ignatieff knew he was't going to support the government.....and he should have known that SOMETHING would come out of EI because the Conservatives promised help - if not, he could have really hammered the Conservatives. But once again, his inexperience and petulance betrayed him. By walking away, he took another bullet out of his gun. Now on this issue, Harper has the high ground - they've helped Canadians - and the Liberals walked away. It doesn't matter what the reasons are, that's just the way it has played out and for the most part, that's how many Canadians see it. Thi8s was Mr. Ignatieff's "big" issue - and he walked away.

That's the problem with the CPC you can never expect ANYTHING from them that isn't in line with their own agenda unless they are threatened with being toppled. For all his bluster Harper didn't want an electoin yet because it's too early to work to his advantage. He thought he had the LPC where he wanted them and that they'd support him indefinitely until such time as he felt was the right time to call a snap election.

Of course the NDP will support him now, their principles notwithstanding as they too do not want an election as polls indicate they will lose a number of seats.

The really interesting day will come in a week or two when the Liberals have said they will use their opposition day to introduce a general motion of non-confidence. If they really want an election, they will word it so that the NDP have to support it. We already know the Bloc will vote with the Liberals. This will be where the NDP has to poop or get off the pot. They will have to choose between principles and politics.

Edited by Keepitsimple

The really interesting day will come in a week or two when the Liberals have said they will use their opposition day to introduce a general motion of non-confidence. If they really want an election, they will word it so that the NDP have to support it. We already know the Bloc will vote with the Liberals. This will be where the NDP has to poop or get off the pot. They will have to choose between principles and politics.

Actually, this seems good strategy on the part of the Liberals. They aren't likely to pull many voters away from the Tories. The easiest target is those who voted NDP! If they can make Jack look bad and grab maybe 5 points it would REALLY strengthen their hand!