Suaad Hagi Mohamud

noahbody

"I don't care about money. ... I'm only (going) to court so this never happens to another Canadian citizen."
Mohamud was jailed for nine days

Yes the woman deserves an apology, but come on... $2.5 million for 9 days in prison. That's both ridiculous and infuriating. David Milgaard received only $10 million for 20 years of his life.

She should be offered compensation based upon the amount our system would give an innocent person for spending nine days in jail. Not a penny more.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about we let her keep her citizenship card? That'd be fair I think.

Watch this become a trend. Travel to a different country. Fabricate difficulty (or even report that you were tortured!) and then when you return (on the taxpayer's dime)...sue the Canadian government (and get paid by...you guessed it...the taxpayers).

How about we let her keep her citizenship card? That'd be fair I think.

Watch this become a trend. Travel to a different country. Fabricate difficulty (or even report that you were tortured!) and then when you return (on the taxpayer's dime)...sue the Canadian government (and get paid by...you guessed it...the taxpayers).

How revealing. I've always found that it takes a cheater's mind to think of all the ways of cheating the system, and to be suspicious of everyone else. Are you jealous you didn't think of it first? And when are you leaving the country again? :D

Yes the woman deserves an apology, but come on... $2.5 million for 9 days in prison. That's both ridiculous and infuriating. David Milgaard received only $10 million for 20 years of his life.

She should be offered compensation based upon the amount our system would give an innocent person for spending nine days in jail. Not a penny more.

why attempt to 'trivialize' her ordeal... she was not allowed to return to Canada for 3 months, away from family and effectively draining all her monies as she personally paid for her bail and living expenses over that period.

the specifics of the legal action claim "Ms. Mohamud was robbed of her identity, denied her rights as a Canadian citizen and abandoned to the whims of Kenyan authorities"... that "Mohamud and her family suffered "severe damages, including … loss of reputation, physical and psychological injuries, mental distress, loss of income and special damages."

the suit alleges negligence and defamation by Conservative Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon claiming that Cannon "intentionally and/or negligently" failed to direct Foreign Affairs officials to conduct a competent investigation of Mohamud's case... and also accuses Cannon of intentionally defaming Mohamud by implying to reporters that she was dishonest, committed criminal misconduct and that she was not who she said she was. Additionally the suit also names Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan and Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney, who are accused of not taking adequate steps to repatriate Mohamud while knowing that officials in their departments were engaged in misconduct.

perhaps this legal action may finally put enough attention on the Harper Conservative government's inequity in responding to the plight of all Canadians beyond Canada's border... regardless of race/colour.

I agree completely that this government must be heavily punished, anytime they fail to live up to their obligations to the people of Canada. The money part seems questionable, but what else can she do that would really get anyones attention to this problem.

Whats right is that Lawrence Cannon should be booted out of office for making misinformed statements, and being incompetent. And maybe some others should be canned too. If you want an effective government that can do its job, then this is what needs to be done. NOT, giving someone another handout of hush money, and then pretending no one did anything wrong!

why attempt to 'trivialize' her ordeal... she was not allowed to return to Canada for 3 months, away from family and effectively draining all her monies as she personally paid for her bail and living expenses over that period.

Sure, compensate her for 3 months living expenses.

the specifics of the legal action claim "Ms. Mohamud was robbed of her identity, ...

:rolleyes:

How revealing. I've always found that it takes a cheater's mind to think of all the ways of cheating the system, and to be suspicious of everyone else. Are you jealous you didn't think of it first? And when are you leaving the country again? :D

Huh. It seems that your attitude changes based on colour. For here you are in another thread insinuating that a white refugee might be a criminal of some kind, even though we have no information whatsoever to base that on, merely because he is white and fleeing persecution by Blacks. "There's other reasons why a white person could be beat up" you say.

How revealing that you don't even understand how hypocritical you are.

in any case where there is a request for damages you always ask for more then you expect...

and damages paid should be high... denied citizenship, thrown in prison to be followed by exile to a third country on command of your own government that's a nightmare no one should find themselves in...the kind of behaviour you'd expect to be found in reich-wing governments

This lawsuit is ludicrous at best, and treason at worst.

An individual is suing her government for her mistakes.

As far as I am aware, the Canadian government did not impose on Ms. Mohamud to visit Kenya. It was her decision to do so, and the Canadian government should not be responsible for the consequences that arose of the decision.

Furthermore, is it not the holder's duty to ensure that their passport photos are updated?

The Canadian government did not force Ms. Mohamud to visit her mother. It is Ms. Mohamud's sole responsibility as to what happened to her. It was tragic, but was also preventable.

As far as I can tell, she is playing the "liberal lottery", whereby liberals in high rank of the society simply handout large sum of money to undeserving minorities.

Tax payer should not pay for what happened to Ms. Mohamud - for neither the government or the taxpayer forced her to visit Kenya and have outdated photo on her passport.

Guest TrueMetis

It's her fault the the authorites in kenya said her passport is fake even though she had many other I.D.s? It's her fault that even with all those I.D.s the Canadian government said she wasn't her. It's her fault she was wrongfully held in prison?

Edited by TrueMetis

Guest American Woman
The Canadian government did not force Ms. Mohamud to visit her mother. It is Ms. Mohamud's sole responsibility as to what happened to her. It was tragic, but was also preventable.

Sure it was "preventable." All we have to do is never travel out of our own country. Is that seriously what you are saying?

As for it being her "sole responsibility" as to what happened, she didn't do anything wrong. The Canadian High Commission, however, was wrong when it decided she was an imposter and voided her passport. So if you believe in taking responsibility for one's actions, then you must agree that the Canadian High Commission should be responsible for its mistake.

Tax payer should not pay for what happened to Ms. Mohamud - for neither the government or the taxpayer forced her to visit Kenya and have outdated photo on her passport.

The photo isn't "outdated" until the passport expires.

It's her fault the the authorites in kenya said her passport is fake even though she had many other I.D.s? It's her fault that even with all those I.D.s the Canadian government said she wasn't her. It's her fault she was wrongfully held in prison?

Again, is it not her responsibility to ensure that her passport photo is not outdated?

Say for example that a transgender individual fails to update their passport after a facial re-constructive surgery yet has other form of identification to probe that he is indeed the owner. I don't think that will fly. The case of Ms. Mohamud is similar although to a lesser degree.

It comes down to this: You do not travel international borders on planes with your driver's license, health card, etc.

You use your passport that has a photo that identifies you as its holder.

If your passport fails to identify you as its holder-as is this case, you should not be permitted to travel, and should rightly be thrown in jail.

And although she was found out to be the holder of the passport, she is not in a position to blame anybody because it was her that failed to assume the responsibility to keep her passport identification updated. Taxpayers should not pay for something that Ms. Mohamud brought on to herself.

If she is not consent with the way she was treated-which is fair-by the Canadian government, then why doesn't she simply throw away her citizenship? After all, she is an immigrant that came to here by choice.

If anything, the crown should prosecute her on ground of treason.

Sure it was "preventable." All we have to do is never travel out of our own country. Is that seriously what you are saying?

As for it being her "sole responsibility" as to what happened, she didn't do anything wrong. The Canadian High Commission, however, was wrong when it decided she was an imposter and voided her passport. So if you believe in taking responsibility for one's actions, then you must agree that the Canadian High Commission should be responsible for its mistake.

The photo isn't "outdated" until the passport expires.

So what are you saying, that I can use anybody's passport despite the differences in facial characteristics that might be present?

The government acts on behalf of its people. Let us assume that this person that was denied travel was not Ms. Muhamud, but an imposer-a terrorist-which she might as well have been considering the documented difference of her facial characteristics with her photo. The government was simply doing what it must do to ensure the security of its citizen in Canada.

If Ms. Mohamud wins this case, then it will terrorists all over the world will have a free pass to enter Canada. Hence, it is right that Ms. Mohamud must be prosecuted for treason-for attempting to establish a precedence that undermines the government's security procedures to allow terrorists to gain entry to this country.

The Canadian High Commission was simply doing its job. I honestly hope that the judge who will reside over this case isn't a liberal nutcase like you. Your liberal guilt disgusts me-an Asian immigrant who came to here in 2003.

Guest TrueMetis
Again, is it not her responsibility to ensure that her passport photo is not outdated?

The passport wasn't expired so it wasn't outdated

Say for example that a transgender individual fails to update their passport after a facial re-constructive surgery yet has other form of identification to probe that he is indeed the owner. I don't think that will fly. The case of Ms. Mohamud is similar although to a lesser degree.

Because having your face completly altered is the same as having a four year old passpot photo when passports expire every 5 years. She also had picture I.D. like her drivers license.

It comes down to this: You do not travel international borders on planes with your driver's license, health card, etc.

You use your passport that has a photo that identifies you as its holder.

If your passport fails to identify you as its holder-as is this case, you should not be permitted to travel, and should rightly be thrown in jail.

so when you travel you only bring one example of I.D. good luck with that.

And although she was found out to be the holder of the passport, she is not in a position to blame anybody because it was her that failed to assume the responsibility to keep her passport identification updated. Taxpayers should not pay for something that Ms. Mohamud brought on to herself.

The passport hadn't expired yet. meaning it was up to date. how much do you think a persons face can change in 4 years?

If she is not consent with the way she was treated-which is fair-by the Canadian government, then why doesn't she simply throw away her citizenship? After all, she is an immigrant that came to here by choice.

How was it fair? she produced mulitple I.d. proving her identity. yet the government still said she wasn't her.

If anything, the crown should prosecute her on ground of treason.

Because it's treason to call out your government when it does something wrong.

Edited by TrueMetis

you really need to acquaint yourself with the details... effectively, a Kenyan border official attempted to solicit a bribe from Ms. Mohamud. When she refused to pay the official, under suggestion that her "lips"... her "lips"... did not match her passport photo, she was detained and not allowed to board the Canadian bound plane. The High Commission of Canada in Nairobi confiscated and voided her passport, despite Mohamud producing her Canadian driver's licence, fingerprints and other documents..... after spending eight days in a Kenyan jail, Mohamud was released on bail. Liliane Khadour, the Canadian High Commission's first secretary, told Kenyan government officials a thorough investigation had determined Mohamud was an impostor and recommended that she be prosecuted.

Guest American Woman
So what are you saying, that I can use anybody's passport despite the differences in facial characteristics that might be present?

Of course I'm not saying that. Ms. Mohamud wasn't using anyone else's passport. She was using her own. If the government wants photos updated more than every ten years, or however long they're good for in Canada, then passports shouldn't be valid for that long. But since her photo was only four years old and her passport wasn't expired, it means she was traveling with a valid passport and it was the Canadian High Commission that made the mistake when invalidating it.

The government acts on behalf of its people. Let us assume that this person that was denied travel was not Ms. Muhamud, but an imposer-a terrorist-which she might as well have been considering the documented difference of her facial characteristics with her photo. The government was simply doing what it must do to ensure the security of its citizen in Canada.

The "documented differences" which you refer to is a questionable difference in lip size. Under the circumstances, the government should have taken the necessary steps to let her prove herself before invalidating her passport. Heaven help us if our governments can start invalidating our passports just because we don't look exactly like we did when our photos were taken. This would create a serious problem for anyone traveling outside the country.

If Ms. Mohamud wins this case, then it will terrorists all over the world will have a free pass to enter Canada. Hence, it is right that Ms. Mohamud must be prosecuted for treason-for attempting to establish a precedence that undermines the government's security procedures to allow terrorists to gain entry to this country.

You have to be joking. You have to be here simply to provoke. No one can seriously think a person should be guilty of treason for traveling abroad with their own passport and holding the government responsible for its mistake. I fail to see how it would give terrorists a free pass since she was traveling with her passport, not someone elses.

The Canadian High Commission was simply doing its job. I honestly hope that the judge who will reside over this case isn't a liberal nutcase like you. Your liberal guilt disgusts me-an Asian immigrant who came to here in 2003.

I ask again if you are serious, or simply here to provoke. Or perhaps to make Asian immigrants look bad.

The "documented differences" which you refer to is a questionable difference in lip size. Under the circumstances, the government should have taken the necessary steps to let her prove herself before invalidating her passport. Heaven help us if our governments can start invalidating our passports just because we don't look exactly like we did when our photos were taken. This would create a serious problem for anyone traveling outside the country.

plus this would open the door to the government exiling Canadians it didn't like for political gain...deny their identity by passport photo(who really looks like their passport photo?) then have them thrown in a foreign prison in Kenya or Sudan...

The passport wasn't expired so it wasn't out dated

Riddle me this, after a facial re-constructive surgery due to a fatal accident.. Can you still use your unexpired passport despite the fact that you no longer resemble the photo?

Because having your face completly altered is the same as having a four year old passpot photo when passports expire every 5 years.

Tell me, if your face changed significantly-and of course naturally-that you no longer resemble your passport photo, why would it not occur to any sensible individual to make sure that the she can be identified as the holder of the passport?

so when you travel you only bring one example of I.D. good luck with that.

I have in fact travelled across Europe and Asia only with my passport. Because there is an undeniable resemblance between my passport photo and my actual face, I do not need to provide supplementaries to prove anything-which is exactly the way it should be.

The passport hadn't expired yet. meaning it was up to date. how much do you think a persons face can change in 4 years?

People may decide to get plastic surgeries to enhance their facial characteristics. Some may go through an accident, and some may simply change. I do not know which of the case applies in this case but it is undeniable truth that her passport photo do not resemble her actual face.

How was it fair? she produced mulitple I.d. proving her identity. yet the government still said she wasn't her.

can you link me to an article which list her list of I.D's and whether or not they contained photos that resembled her face? Moreover, there is always the possibility that more than one individual named "Suaad Mohamud", and do not forget about the possibility of forged I.D's.

Because it treason to call out your government when it does something wrong.

Because it is treason to attempt to undermine your government's actions and establish case law that will virtually grant any terrorists free entry to Canada

What compensation? This should rightly be viewed as a fine and I think it should be much higher myself. The only way to deter the government from continually botching these files is to make the penalties so painful it'll think twice next time.

The bottom line in a democracy of course is that its us who are ultimately liable for our government's actions. We either need to demand more of it or expect more finacial slaps upside our heads. We really have no one to blame but ourselves.

Guest TrueMetis
Riddle me this, after a facial re-constructive surgery due to a fatal accident.. Can you still use your unexpired passport despite the fact that you no longer resemble the photo?

She diddn't have any sugery on her face your have no point.

Tell me, if your face changed significantly-and of course naturally-that you no longer resemble your passport photo, why would it not occur to any sensible individual to make sure that the she can be identified as the holder of the passport?

It was just her lips that they used to say she wasn't the person in her passport her lips. She only got detained because she wouldn't pay a bribe.

I have in fact travelled across Europe and Asia only with my passport. Because there is an undeniable resemblance between my passport photo and my actual face, I do not need to provide supplementaries to prove anything-which is exactly the way it should be.

Lucky you, no one tried to get a bribe.

People may decide to get plastic surgeries to enhance their facial characteristics. Some may go through an accident, and some may simply change. I do not know which of the case applies in this case but it is undeniable truth that her passport photo do not resemble her actual face.

She didn't get plastic or re-constructive surgery. It is not the undeniable truth that her passport photo did not resemble her face.

can you link me to an article which list her list of I.D's and whether or not they contained photos that resembled her face? Moreover, there is always the possibility that more than one individual named "Suaad Mohamud", and do not forget about the possibility of forged I.D's.

your grasping at straws

Because it is treason to attempt to undermine your government's actions and establish case law that will virtually grant any terrorists free entry to Canada

so if the government went around killing or de-porting people because they thought ot acted differentlly we shouldn't stop them because if we did it would help your imaginary terrorists?