Kurds and the PM

Topaz

So why should the Pm appoligize for something the provincal police forces does on a tip from a citizen from that province, if they are demanding an appology from anyone it should be from the province of ontario not the prime minister he has nothing to do with this or the operation of a PROVINCIAL police force.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

TheStar.com | Opinion | Two takes on armed takedown

Aug 21, 2009 04:30 AM

Re:Armed takedown shocks singer, Aug. 19

The so-called high-risk takedown on Highway 427 on Monday night demonstrates how out of control the OPP is. This incident was based on a mistaken report by another motorist and should have been dealt with in a much more controlled and cautious manner.

The suspect vehicle should have been followed and observed before being intercepted and approached. Instead, an overly aggressive and militaristic approach was taken, which will result in more unneeded bad publicity for Toronto.

It is time police officers were reminded that their job is to keep the peace and not to react in such a heavy handed and confrontational manner to reports from the public.

Jim Roche, Toronto

Police in Ontario, and across Canada take the report of weapons being pointed from cars seriously, and take no chances when dealing with the occupants of any vehicle stopped for investigation.

Fortunately for Sivan Perwer, he reacted correctly and obeyed instructions given by the officers. Once the vehicle and occupants were searched and no weapons found, it would appear the group was allowed to go on its way.

No harm, no foul, as the saying goes.

Bill Sandford, Barrie

I'm inclined to agree that the OPP went 'rambo' and should have monitored and followed first. Now they've embarrassed themselves (again) and terrorized innocent people, and I do believe that is harmful.

I'm also inclined to believe that both the person who reported it and the OPP were indulging in some racial profiling.

I think an apology should come from Julian Fantino.

He has a habit of tilting at broomsticks and camera tripods, and ordering guns pointed too fast and too long, and it infests the OPP under his lead, imo, except where there are more level headed CO's.

Of course, racial profiling is rampant under Harper's lead too, so it wouldn't hurt him to acknowledge the error, after Fantino apologizes.

Why do people who have never been police officers and don't understand how hard their job is always second guess them? No, they aren't perfect, and yes, they step over the line sometimes, but they're simply people wilth a very difficult and thankless job to do....we don't give them nearly enough credit for the things they do right.

Why do people who have never been police officers and don't understand how hard their job is always second guess them? No, they aren't perfect, and yes, they step over the line sometimes, but they're simply people wilth a very difficult and thankless job to do....we don't give them nearly enough credit for the things they do right.

I thank them all the time - whenever I see them.

But there are some problems with the OPP right now, imo, and when they're wrong they should step up, instead of hiding behind excuses and coverups.

And let's not forget ... it's not the officers' mistake ... it's the CO's.

Edited by tango