Poll suggests a rejection of Multiculturalism!

Aug. 24, 2009.

Canadian policy toward immigrants should be based on what?

Integration into the mainstream --- 79% 8350 votes

Respect for different cultures ---- 21% 2245 votes

Source

Well this sums up my feelings and it's nice to see that many people who read a largely Liberal paper feel the same way.

Also there's this Poll from the Star July, 18, 2009.

69 per cent favour minister's move to clamp down on flow of visitors from Mexico, Czech Republic

Source

Wow, the liberals must be really upset that most readers of these two liberal newspapers would feel this way. At the same time it echos my sentiments that I've been trying to get across here on these boards. people are fed up with immigration and want more controls over the sieve like borders we have.

Aug. 24, 2009.

Source

Well this sums up my feelings and it's nice to see that many people who read a largely Liberal paper feel the same way.

Also there's this Poll from the Star July, 18, 2009.

Source

Wow, the liberals must be really upset that most readers of these two liberal newspapers would feel this way. At the same time it echos my sentiments that I've been trying to get across here on these boards. people are fed up with immigration and want more controls over the sieve like borders we have.

how much are we betting that that 21% was 92% "third worlder" votes... and 8% communists?

Integration into the mainstream --- 79% 8350 votes

Respect for different cultures ---- 21% 2245 votes

Why do those things have to be mutually exclusive? To me, the correct answer to a question like that is "yes".

Bogus refugees (your second link) are a different story. That needs to be clamped down on, and we can't be afraid to just kick out people who get caught lying. Make sure the entry requirements are clear and consistent, and enforce them right across the board.

Perhaps part of the problem is that the definition of multiculturalism seemed to change AFTER it was enacted as a government policy!

No one really understood it when it first started happening but the assumption was that you would have respect for each other's heritage. Most people I knew thought it meant a Chinese dragon in a New Year's parade amongst the bagpipe bands.

The idea was that we should all be proud of from where our ancestors came!

Somehow, after things got rolling they changed. The idea of being Canadian first TODAY and celebrating your original heritage as a fond memory was morphed into some "mosaic" concept where you could always feel allegiance to your home country first and being Canadian a distant second, if at all.

A mosaic needs glue along the edges of each piece or it will fall apart. Being Canadian first was supposed to be that glue.

It was an immediate hit for getting votes, however! Cheques for "heritage centres" became easy to get, as long as your MP could get a photo op out of it.

Criticizing multiculturalism became impossible. If you dared to raise a question you were immediately classed as being bigoted against other cultures. It was like a line from the old Firesign Theater hippy comedies, where when a politician robot was asked "Mr. President, where can I find a job?" and the answer was "Rest assured, in the future we won't have to answer questions like yours anymore!"

Things went so far that for a while there census forms would ask your heritage with NO option of "Canadian"! For those of us who's ancestors may have come here in the late 1600's this seemed odd, if not outright wrong! There were incidents reported in the paper where StatsCan actually wanted to start laying charges against people for refusing to fill in this question correctly, having become upset at the number of people who had penciled in "Canadian" overtop of the other answers.

This was the mid to late 80's, for those too young to remember.

At least now we seem to slowly be able to start debate again on this issue. Still, I'm waiting for the first post to raise the "anti- other cultures" canard...

When Serbs and Islamic Canadians went and joined forces fighting Canadian troops, I think some of the shine came off multiculturism.

Then these traitorous bast...s were welcome home to Canada again.

Yeah, that was simply, totally and utterly unbelievable!

I could understand someone choosing to reject Canada to go and fight for their original country. Obviously, they never truly accepted being Canadian in the first place. What I can't respect is how after fighting against Canadian soldiers they could have the nerve to return, in order to take advantage of any Canadian benefits.

What is even more unbelievable is that we ALLOWED them to return! Am I the only one who finds it passing strange that these "returnees" don't seem to have been given much press?

Yeah, that was simply, totally and utterly unbelievable!

I could understand someone choosing to reject Canada to go and fight for their original country. Obviously, they never truly accepted being Canadian in the first place. What I can't respect is how after fighting against Canadian soldiers they could have the nerve to return, in order to take advantage of any Canadian benefits.

What is even more unbelievable is that we ALLOWED them to return! Am I the only one who finds it passing strange that these "returnees" don't seem to have been given much press?

It boggles the mind why these traitors weren't welcomed home at gunpoint. Leave or be shot for treason. Simple.

Not liking the country, or the politics, or the military action is one thing. Actively firing on Canadian troops is not something that happens and should be viewed as okay (until someone yells "car!" and the fighting stops and is forgotten).

Those are important.

ahahaahahh!

Yes i'm sure that having a Thai restaurant ever 100km radius is major national objective... akin to water filtration, road repairs, and healthcare... (!)

My only question is that why do we need to IMPORT Thai immigrants to get Thai food, and Haitian boat people to get ... errr (well actually haitian don,t really contribute any valued cultural aspects to us... but anyway)...

Is it essential to have people of different races to have Thai restaurants? Isn't cooking akin to basic chemistry? Why assume that non-immigrants are incapable of getting these "essential" items... such as "butter chicken"

what a surrealist conversation! tango, I feel you slipping out of sanity with every new post.

because having lived in canada, they know how suicidally liberal and tolerant we are... These people just assume that we have maggots in our minds, and act accordingly.. And they're not afraid of any backlash because they know how Canada is occupied by their own implacable enemies (liberals, multiculturalists, crypto-communists, egalitarians) and that these will not punish any transgression done by non-white immigrants... they know that the media will back them up, and that the liberal establishment will back them up.

In canada, treason don by immigrants is rewarded. While loyalty to this country is called "racism" and ruthlessly punished.

because having lived in canada, they know how suicidally liberal and tolerant we are... These people just assume that we have maggots in our minds, and act accordingly.. And they're not afraid of any backlash because they know how Canada is occupied by their own implacable enemies (liberals, multiculturalists, crypto-communists, egalitarians) and that these will not punish any transgression done by non-white immigrants... they know that the media will back them up, and that the liberal establishment will back them up.

In canada, treason don by immigrants is rewarded. While loyalty to this country is called "racism" and ruthlessly punished.

As embarrassing as it is to admit, you're mostly right.

There are so many, many hard-working people in this world who would appreciate Canada and love it until they die......and leave a legacy of new Canadian children who would carry on that love and appreciation for their country. But there are only so many openings for immigrants and refugees - we simply can't take everyone. Unfortunately, many of the "good ones" are pushed out of line by bogus refugees and economic migrants looking for free benefits or a citizenship of convenience. Far too many people come to this country, gain citizenship, and rerturn to their own country. That's why we had to re-patriate 70,000 "Canadians" from Lebanon.

Edited by Keepitsimple

As embarrassing as it is to admit, you're mostly right.

There are so many, many hard-working people in this world who would appreciate Canada and love it until they die......and leave a legacy of new Canadian children who would carry on that love and appreciation for their country. But there are only so many openings for immigrants and refugees - we simply can't take everyone. Unfortunately, many of the "good ones" are pushed out of line by bogus refugees and economic migrants looking for free benefits or a citizenship of convenience. Far too many people come to this country, gain citizenship, and rerturn to their own country. That's why we had to re-patriate 70,000 "Canadians" from Lebanon.

Use those quotations arround Canadian as you like but until the definition of citizenship changes those people are just as Canadian as you or I, end of story. Furthermore, turning the other cheek to people who supposedly fight us is in the end what makes us better than them. People all over have authoritarian mindsets, but in the end, they've committed no crime here in Canada and forgive me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a registry of every foreign combatant to ever fight against Canada. Is there anyone in particular besides Omar Khadr, who should've been labelled a child soldier (we treat African child soldiers well, why shouldn't we treat muslim child soldiers the same way)? There are certainly German war criminals living here unbeknownst to the general population and in the end due to sketchy records kept in war zones (a commonality across the world), we probably won't catch any more.

As for "bogus" refugee claims, I can't speak to the Mexican situation but the Czech visa situation is appalling. Most of the refugee claims are from Roma living within that country. There is widespread racism and bigotry towards them. In the latest round of EU elections a far right party ran ads that called for a "Final Solution" of the Roma question. As someone who has been to Auschwitz, you can't take that lightly. To compound this, according to Embassy Times (Canada's Foreign Affairs Magazine) 94% of Roma cases are approved by Immigration.

As for the notion that treason is immigrant treason is rewarded is pseudo-racist right wing trash. People get deported all the time for crimes the committ here. Please, tell me the last time someone was ruthlessly punished for being patriotic. If so, better round up all those people who stand with Canadian flags along the highway of heroes. Better yet, arrest the Canadian National Men's Hockey Team. Furthermore, if we need to get rid of liberals, multiculturals, crypto-communists and egalitarians because they don't punish immigrants, then wouldn't we just have an extremely national and authoritarian, I day say fascist state? It's these liberals and egalitarians that give right wing wack jobs like you, lictor that agree with your right to spew this vitriol. They may publicly disagree with it, but that's a lot different than them taking it away and giving it to immigrants.

As for the actual poll, I would also like to see where the majority of these votes came from. At least online the Globe is as much of a national newspaper as any other. If you look on their comment boards it seems that most posters that identify where they are from are actually otuside of the GTA. Frankly, being a resident of Toronto, people here don't have a problem with different cultures. In fact, it's pretty much embraced. You might here some anger towards to the Jamaican or South East Asian communities due to gang related violence but that's about it. On talk shows most of the callers that complain about immigrants are from the suburbs. Though I really hate to stereotype, it seems to me that this type of response would be mostly from rural areas with no actual exposure to immigration and different ethnic communities. If you're from a major city you pretty much have to embrace it. You can't live in a place like Toronto if you have anti-immigrant attitudes. I don't doubt that the anti-multicultural supporters exist in Toronto, but considering how multicultural Toronto is (and how successful of an example it is) I would imagine support in Toronto would be relatively high. Ironically, the most vocal outrage against immigration in Toronto at least seems to come from the Italian community who are fiercly nationalistic in terms of Italy which is another side of the debate as well.

Furthermore, I think everyone seems to forget that despite what we think, despite the ability for different ethnic communities to exist and the inability of some people to adapt to society (notably older folks who just refuse to the learn the language) 90% of 2nd generation Canadians are fully integrated into society. They grow up here and come to our schools and live and work in our society. It's a no-brainer.

Edited by nicky10013

Multiculturalism has become a failed experiment, it may have worked in the Trudeau era

but the way things have changed in the world. It is no longer functioning and should be abandoned

for the safety of Canadians!

Statistically, of any major city in Canada, Toronto has the lowest rates of crime in the country which is most multicultural. This could be a fallacy as there are mutiple reasons for crime, though I don't think that letting people into the country is one of them nor do I believe that multi-culturalism makes people safer. Indeed, I would more place the blame at the feet of immigrants not being able to sustain proper work because they're not allowed to work in their actual fields. That is the problem we have in the immigrant community here in Toronto and I would imagine that example echoes regardless what ethnic community you're talking about in whatever city you're talking about. It's not multiculturalism that is dangerous but the general situation people find themselves in. Furthermore, please, enlighten me as to how it isn't working?

Edited by nicky10013

Use those quotations arround Canadian as you like but until the definition of citizenship changes those people are just as Canadian as you or I, end of story

Legally speaking, technically speaking. But many, perhaps even most members of the Canadian community have rejected them as not belonging. I do not consider immigrants to be Canadian until they have been here so long that they've completely absorbed and accepted our culture, and place it and us above their former allegiances.

. Furthermore, turning the other cheek to people who supposedly fight us is in the end what makes us better than them.

No, it makes us dead.

People all over have authoritarian mindsets, but in the end, they've committed no crime here in Canada

Yes, people all over the world have some very dreadful cultural beliefs, but while that's not a crime here that's also a reason we should want to maintain some distance between us and them.

As for "bogus" refugee claims, I can't speak to the Mexican situation but the Czech visa situation is appalling. Most of the refugee claims are from Roma living within that country. There is widespread racism and bigotry towards them.

Funny thing about the Roma, there's widespread "racism and bigotry" towards them in every country, even the ones with the most enlightened governments. Why do you suppose that might be? Wouldn't be related to the widespread crimes committed by so many members of this community, would it?

link?

http://www.geocities.com/famous_bosniaks/e...las_ribich.html

"Nicholas Ribich, a Canadian and former resident of Edmonton, Alberta, was arrested on February 20, 1999 in Mainz, Germany and then charged as part of the Bosnian-Serb army that captured United Nations peacekeepers and used them as human shields against NATO air strikes in 1995. Ribich, of Serbian ancestry, left his home in Canada to travel to Bosnia-Herzogovina where he joined the Bosnian-Serb army at the height of the war. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Ribich

"His trial began in October 2002,[2] However, the trial unraveled three months later when judge Douglas Cunningham declared a mistrial after only nine days of testimony."

Use those quotations arround Canadian as you like but until the definition of citizenship changes those people are just as Canadian as you or I, end of story. Furthermore, turning the other cheek to people who supposedly fight us is in the end what makes us better than them. People all over have authoritarian mindsets, but in the end, they've committed no crime here in Canada and forgive me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a registry of every foreign combatant to ever fight against Canada. Is there anyone in particular besides Omar Khadr, who should've been labelled a child soldier (we treat African child soldiers well, why shouldn't we treat muslim child soldiers the same way)? There are certainly German war criminals living here unbeknownst to the general population and in the end due to sketchy records kept in war zones (a commonality across the world), we probably won't catch any more.

As for "bogus" refugee claims, I can't speak to the Mexican situation but the Czech visa situation is appalling. Most of the refugee claims are from Roma living within that country. There is widespread racism and bigotry towards them. In the latest round of EU elections a far right party ran ads that called for a "Final Solution" of the Roma question. As someone who has been to Auschwitz, you can't take that lightly. To compound this, according to Embassy Times (Canada's Foreign Affairs Magazine) 94% of Roma cases are approved by Immigration.

As for the notion that treason is immigrant treason is rewarded is pseudo-racist right wing trash. People get deported all the time for crimes the committ here. Please, tell me the last time someone was ruthlessly punished for being patriotic. If so, better round up all those people who stand with Canadian flags along the highway of heroes. Better yet, arrest the Canadian National Men's Hockey Team. Furthermore, if we need to get rid of liberals, multiculturals, crypto-communists and egalitarians because they don't punish immigrants, then wouldn't we just have an extremely national and authoritarian, I day say fascist state? It's these liberals and egalitarians that give right wing wack jobs like you, lictor that agree with your right to spew this vitriol. They may publicly disagree with it, but that's a lot different than them taking it away and giving it to immigrants.

As for the actual poll, I would also like to see where the majority of these votes came from. At least online the Globe is as much of a national newspaper as any other. If you look on their comment boards it seems that most posters that identify where they are from are actually otuside of the GTA. Frankly, being a resident of Toronto, people here don't have a problem with different cultures. In fact, it's pretty much embraced. You might here some anger towards to the Jamaican or South East Asian communities due to gang related violence but that's about it. On talk shows most of the callers that complain about immigrants are from the suburbs. Though I really hate to stereotype, it seems to me that this type of response would be mostly from rural areas with no actual exposure to immigration and different ethnic communities. If you're from a major city you pretty much have to embrace it. You can't live in a place like Toronto if you have anti-immigrant attitudes. I don't doubt that the anti-multicultural supporters exist in Toronto, but considering how multicultural Toronto is (and how successful of an example it is) I would imagine support in Toronto would be relatively high. Ironically, the most vocal outrage against immigration in Toronto at least seems to come from the Italian community who are fiercly nationalistic in terms of Italy which is another side of the debate as well.

Furthermore, I think everyone seems to forget that despite what we think, despite the ability for different ethnic communities to exist and the inability of some people to adapt to society (notably older folks who just refuse to the learn the language) 90% of 2nd generation Canadians are fully integrated into society. They grow up here and come to our schools and live and work in our society. It's a no-brainer.

I befriend quite a bevy of Romanians and Polacks, and some of them are even liberal, but none would ever speak of gypsies as anything other then vermin.

Even in portugal and spain when I went, there were accounts of a single family of gypsies robbing a village dry ... bikes, clothes drying outside, children's big wheels, ANYTHING they can get their hands on... in the Minho in the north of Portugal, I recall there being an incident where a gypsie from Eastern Europe stole some circuit breakers from a unguarded mini-plant, which provoked a blackout for 30 000 users...

Edited by lictor616