Let's restrict the right to vote

Argus

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He certainly is different.

So am I. You 're the same as most Liberals. MrC is a rare conservative.

Intolerance is something that can't be tolerated.

Not even murderers, polygamists and pedophiles? We are all one and united, equal and the same, after all, right? And the single criteria for intolerance is if you don't think we are all one, united, equal and the same you shouldn't be tolerated. Does that seem to sum it up?

No it doesn't but I wouldn't expect any different. If you conmsider yourself a conservative of the same type as Mr. Canada, there's nothing to say to you....especially if you can't see the difference between another part of the human race and a pedophile.

No it doesn't but I wouldn't expect any different. If you conmsider yourself a conservative of the same type as Mr. Canada, there's nothing to say to you....especially if you can't see the difference between another part of the human race and a pedophile.

You said that intolerance was something that can't be tolerated.

I obviously wouldn't tolerate pedophiles, it isn't obvious by your statement that you wouldn't.

What happened to the very tolerant liberal concept "we are all one and united and equal and the same"? It is Liberals that don't discriminate between a pedophile and another part of the human race. Love. Peace, man. Live and let live and all that jazz.

I don't consider myself a conservative - they are too liberal for me. Perhaps when they became the "Progressive" Conservative party it was too much.

Edited by Pliny

So is this another way for the Tories to get a majority....cancel voters!!!!! That`s what Bush get in Florida before the elections, wrote off voters for what ever reasons they could come up with.

Of course, that's how Bush won - TWICE. Al Gore was a real pussy cat about it wasn't he?

It's all a big conspiracy, isn't it?

Sure they can. They have to live here though.

The use of government supplied documents by non-citizens is actually epidemic in this country. You think all those thousands of Lebanese "Canadians" who went back to Lebanon took their health cards with them? Please. The "lending" of documents, including passports, happens all the time, aided by the fact so many Arabic and east Asian men have very similar features and that the women often wear close fitting kerchiefs or bedsheets which show very little of their faces.

It is Liberals that don't discriminate between a pedophile and another part of the human race. Love. Peace, man. Live and let live and all that jazz.

I can see how you would look at things that way....if you lived in some distant reality. Liberals are quite happy to distinguish between criminals and other humans...you don't seem to see the difference though....you seem to be saying they're both bad.

I don't consider myself a conservative - they are too liberal for me.

:blink:

I can see how you would look at things that way....if you lived in some distant reality. Liberals are quite happy to distinguish between criminals and other humans...you don't seem to see the difference though....you seem to be saying they're both bad.

Wait a second! You said that intolerance was something that couldn't be tolerated? I am asking you if that means you believe criminality should also be tolerated? I stated that I do make the differentiation and say so. Would you say you do not tolerate criminality? And if so, would that be what you would call "intolerant".

I believe you cannot say you are intolerant of criminality or pedophilia because that would make you less of a Liberal. You have to say they are behaviors that a person is not in control of and we need to understand them. Well, you'll never understand them by making excuses for them. In the meantime we shouldn't tolerate them. If that makes me intolerant and subsequently a Liberal target so be it.

Wait a second! You said that intolerance was something that couldn't be tolerated? I am asking you if that means you believe criminality should also be tolerated? I stated that I do make the differentiation and say so. Would you say you do not tolerate criminality? And if so, would that be what you would call "intolerant".

I believe you cannot say you are intolerant of criminality or pedophilia because that would make you less of a Liberal. You have to say they are behaviors that a person is not in control of and we need to understand them. Well, you'll never understand them by making excuses for them. In the meantime we shouldn't tolerate them. If that makes me intolerant and subsequently a Liberal target so be it.

Hey Pliny, has it ever occurred to you to pay attention to the thread topic and to follow the line of discussion?

:rolleyes:

I believe you cannot say you are intolerant of criminality or pedophilia because that would make you less of a Liberal.

If you want to get technical, pedophilia probably is something that can't be controlled by most people, and hopefully some day, we can do something about it. Until that time, we have to continue to do the only thing that we possibly can, because pedophiles harm other people. Other members of humanity don't harm other people though by simply being that. That's the difference.

I don't tolerate criminality....because I can see that it harms others. You still apparently see no difference.

Hey Pliny, has it ever occurred to you to pay attention to the thread topic and to follow the line of discussion?

:rolleyes:

Hi Tango! We are discussing whether or not criminals and pedophiles and the like should have a vote.

First we have to determine if Liberals are tolerant of such activities or not. If so I believe they think criminals should have a vote.

What do you think? You can join in if you like. :)

Edited by Pliny

No wonder they have so many "rights". They get to vote. They are forming a union aren't they?

Can you say "Criminals should have a vote in federal politics"? smallc can't seem to bring himself to say that.

I don't believe they do when they are incarcerated.

As is is fine with me.

oops ... i'm wrong: Supreme Court says they can.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...006&no_ads=

2006:

This is the second time federal prisoners have been allowed to vote since the Supreme Court struck down part of the Elections Act in 2002. It had been challenged under the charter of rights by a convicted murderer.

The court said voting could teach inmates democratic values and social responsibility.

Shane Shoemaker, serving a life sentence for first-degree murder at Edmonton Institution, agrees.

He and other inmates at the maximum-security prison have been following the campaign on TV in their cells. There are no election posters on the walls. No candidates have come to door-knock.

"Most guys in prison feel like outcasts. Voting is kind of a big thing," says Shoemaker, 30, who hails from Calgary.

"You feel like you are contributing to society."

Shoemaker, who is into the eighth year of his sentence, says most inmates plan to vote for any party other than the Conservatives.

Edited by tango

See, I tend to respect the Courts interpretation of the Constitution, but I can see how someone on the right would have a problem with the law in general.

Really, someone on the right could have a problem with the law in general. I, not being on the right, respect the law when it maintains the peace but not so much when it grants special interests privilege.

You tend to respect the courts interpretation. What does that mean? Does it mean you sometimes have a problem with the law?

It means, in my opinion, you cannot make a clear statement of committal. Everything is a "maybe". Did you go along with the courts interpretation of the Constitution prior to the change or did you have a problem with the law?

Can you make a commitment and say, "Criminals should have the right to vote."?

Edited by Pliny

I don't believe they do when they are incarcerated.

As is is fine with me.

oops ... i'm wrong: Supreme Court says they can.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...006&no_ads=

2006:

This is the second time federal prisoners have been allowed to vote since the Supreme Court struck down part of the Elections Act in 2002. It had been challenged under the charter of rights by a convicted murderer.

The court said voting could teach inmates democratic values and social responsibility.

Shane Shoemaker, serving a life sentence for first-degree murder at Edmonton Institution, agrees.

He and other inmates at the maximum-security prison have been following the campaign on TV in their cells. There are no election posters on the walls. No candidates have come to door-knock.

"Most guys in prison feel like outcasts. Voting is kind of a big thing," says Shoemaker, 30, who hails from Calgary.

"You feel like you are contributing to society."

Shoemaker, who is into the eighth year of his sentence, says most inmates plan to vote for any party other than the Conservatives.

So you think they should have the right to vote? They will vote for Liberals after all. Liberals will let them keep their vote, give them cushy cell rooms. Let them out for good behavior. Cut their sentences short. Make sure they are healthy and get lots of exercise. Even get them sex changes if they want. Let them organize. Look the other way when drugs are being smuggled in. What incarcerated person in their right mind would vote conservative? Eventually what will happen is that when he gets out he will realize there isn't much difference between being in prison and not being in prison.