Do you think Mulroney will go to prison?

Do you think Mulroney will go to prison?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In Canada according to the criminal code perjury carries a term prison sentence of up to 14 years while bribery holds that people convicted of the crime would be sentenced to up to 5 years.

Mulroney, the former Prime Minister, has spent the last 14 years using up public taxmoney to defend himself while taking more money in the form of "damage compensation".

Do you think that the Oliphant inquiry will deliver enough evidence when they deliver their report at the end of the year to justify a corruption trial, possibly sending Mulroney to prison for years?

Edited by 1967100

In Canada according to the criminal code perjury carries a term prison sentence of up to 14 years while bribery holds that people convicted of the crime would be sentenced to up to 5 years.

Mulroney, the former Prime Minister, has spent the last 14 years using up public taxmoney to defend himself while taking more money in the form of "damage compensation".

Do you think that the Oliphant inquiry will deliver enough evidence when they deliver their report at the end of the year to justify a corruption trial, possibly sending Mulroney to prison for years?

He's lucky he's not in the US. They would have thrown his ass in jail long ago.

He'll be convicted of stupidity and sentenced to even more embarrassment and disdain. Having said that, lets not forget that Richard Nixon went on to play important roles as a statesman in dealing with China and others. Although he took his Watergate legacy to the grave, he was respected by many. Bill Clinton was impeached and thrown out of office but still wanders the world, adored by the Left. Mulroney's Irish blarney made him what was was probably Canada's most effective leader on the world stage. He too will likely take this sad chapter to his grave, but in time, he may be able to play some sort of role for Canada as an elder statesman. Time will tell.

If Larry O'Brien can get away with stealing an election, why wouldn't Brian Mulroney get away with his slimey affairs? Despite what the law says, politicians are above the law.

He'll be convicted of stupidity and sentenced to even more embarrassment and disdain. Having said that, lets not forget that Richard Nixon went on to play important roles as a statesman in dealing with China and others. Although he took his Watergate legacy to the grave, he was respected by many. Bill Clinton was impeached and thrown out of office but still wanders the world, adored by the Left. Mulroney's Irish blarney made him what was was probably Canada's most effective leader on the world stage. He too will likely take this sad chapter to his grave, but in time, he may be able to play some sort of role for Canada as an elder statesman. Time will tell.

Bill Clinton didn't actually commit any crime. One of these things is not like the others.

Edited by Malaclypse the Younger

Actually, Shady's right though. He hasn't been found guilty of anything. He may not be found guilty of anything. I'm not saying that what he did was right, but was it legal? We'll have to wait and see.

I don't see him going to jail.

He'll be convicted of stupidity and sentenced to even more embarrassment and disdain.

I don't think so. He is about to be treated triumphantly by the Conservative party. Harper has taken the restriction off the party.

Having said that, lets not forget that Richard Nixon went on to play important roles as a statesman in dealing with China and others. Although he took his Watergate legacy to the grave, he was respected by many. Bill Clinton was impeached and thrown out of office but still wanders the world, adored by the Left. Mulroney's Irish blarney made him what was was probably Canada's most effective leader on the world stage. He too will likely take this sad chapter to his grave, but in time, he may be able to play some sort of role for Canada as an elder statesman. Time will tell.

Mulroney won't go to prison but he certainly raised eyebrows for playing fast and loose and accepting money from a man that many Tories found shady.

Actually, Shady's right though. He hasn't been found guilty of anything. He may not be found guilty of anything. I'm not saying that what he did was right, but was it legal? We'll have to wait and see.

Thank you. That's all I was getting at. If he's charged and found guilty, then fine, he obviously needs to go to jail. But the fact that there isn't even an option on the poll, to even think, even as remotely impossible as some may find, that he's not guilty of a crime, is pretty unfair.

A trial can be a very bad thing as then the investigation can come to an end.

Well, we wouldn't want this to come an end now would we. Mulroney bashing has become somewhat of a national pastime for some politicos who hang on to every last morbid morsel. Hey, there must be something that has not yet been uncovered. Perhaps Schreiber will tell all from his German prison, we can only hope. Sarcasm aside, I've had enough of this dark comedy.

Its better to never allow this off his chest but make him carry this to his grave.

Mulroney doesn't need a trial to get it off his chest. And as a taxpayer, I don't want to pay for a trial that may make him feel better about himself. He could write a book and get the same result, which is maybe he did and maybe he didn't. Whatever the case, the jury would still be out.

Well, we wouldn't want this to come an end now would we. Mulroney bashing has become somewhat of a national pastime for some politicos who hang on to every last morbid morsel. Hey, there must be something that has not yet been uncovered. Perhaps Schreiber will tell all from his German prison, we can only hope. Sarcasm aside, I've had enough of this dark comedy.

Mulroney doesn't need a trial to get it off his chest. And as a taxpayer, I don't want to pay for a trial that may make him feel better about himself. He could write a book and get the same result, which is maybe he did and maybe he didn't. Whatever the case, the jury would still be out.

sheeple seem to have a short memory so yes keep it at atention if the name Mulruney and scandel comes up every 5 years his kids will hear about it, his grandkids will hear about it an their grand kids will hear about it, he tarnished his name for ever a elite family that was destined for the best and whose for fathers built a empire, and to let Brian self destruct the family image is priceless.

Guest elizabethjones
Bill Clinton was impeached and thrown out of office but still wanders the world, adored by the Left.

You are mistaken he was impeached but there was no trial and so he was not thrown out of office. He finished his 2nd term and left more popular than Cheney/Bush did. The impeachment was strictly political and that is why there was no trial.

You are mistaken he was impeached but there was no trial and so he was not thrown out of office. He finished his 2nd term and left more popular than Cheney/Bush did. The impeachment was strictly political and that is why there was no trial.

False...there was a trial and it lasted over a month. President Clinton was found not-guilty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_o...the_U.S._Senate

But the fact that there isn't even an option on the poll, to even think, even as remotely impossible as some may find, that he's not guilty of a crime, is pretty unfair.

You must not be aware of his testimony. There wasn't much doubt of his guilt left among anyone who was paying attention.

You must not be aware of his testimony. There wasn't much doubt of his guilt left among anyone who was paying attention.

Guilty of what? He has not yet been charged with a crime. What crime are you thinking he is guilty of? I don't agree at all with the way he has conducted his "business" but I'm not yet aware of any crime that he could be "guilty" of.

Guilty of what? He has not yet been charged with a crime. What crime are you thinking he is guilty of? I don't agree at all with the way he has conducted his "business" but I'm not yet aware of any crime that he could be "guilty" of.

I believe it had something to do with being paid kickbacks (bribes) for contracts when he was Prime Minister.

I believe it had something to do with being paid kickbacks (bribes) for contracts when he was Prime Minister.

Shady or not, the inquiry found absolutely no evidence that Mulroney took any money while he was Prime Minister. The inquiry has focused on what happened after he left office and therfore what he did as a private citizen. So my question stands - he has never been charged with any crime - what specific crime do you think he could be charged with as a result of the inquiry?

Shady or not, the inquiry found absolutely no evidence that Mulroney took any money while he was Prime Minister. The inquiry has focused on what happened after he left office and therfore what he did as a private citizen. So my question stands - he has never been charged with any crime - what specific crime do you think he could be charged with as a result of the inquiry?

He admitted to taking money he also committed tax fraud by not claiming it on his income tax all those years.