Does visa = "you're not a refugee"?

I think to obtain a visa to Canada the applicant has to attend an interview (in most cases), and I would expect that in cases causing attention of the interviewing officer, that question would be asked. I'm not sure if lying to visa officer automatically disqualifies refugee application, but I'm quite sure I read about cases, where e.g. faked travel documents did not, so I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't so with visas as well, but I don't know the definitive answer to that.

From the Canada Immigration website.

All required documents must be included with your application:

* You must have a valid travel document (such as a passport) for each family member on the application.

* Two recent passport photos of each family member are required. Make sure these photos meet the requirements. For more information on specifications for photographs, see the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.

* Enclose the application fee. Your fee will not be refunded, even if your application is not accepted.

* You must provide proof that you have enough money for your visit to Canada. The amount of money may vary, depending on the circumstances for your visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives. You can get more information from the Canadian visa office in your country or region.

* You may need to include other documents. These documents could be identification cards, proof of employment, a letter of invitation from relatives or friends in Canada, or a proposed itinerary. Check the website of the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live for more information.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

Entering Canada with a visa is no guarantee that the person/persons will not claim refugee status once inside the country. There is also no guarantee that some documents presented to obtain a visa aren't forged.

From the Canada Immigration website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

Entering Canada with a visa is no guarantee that the person/persons will not claim refugee status once inside the country. There is also no guarantee that some documents presented to obtain a visa aren't forged.

Surely though, not having asked for status at the consolate/embassy is surely going to work against you when you try to claim status AFTER arriving in Canada. We already turn claimants back at the US border and tell them to apply from outside Canada.

Just curious. Does having a visa pretty much kill off one's case for claiming refugee status (i.e. is there a "I'm not a refugee" tick box on the visa)?
Pretty much.

Anyone who applies for a visitor visa has had the chance to state a claim for refugee status. In addition, the simple fact of going to an embassy to get the visa eliminates most obvious cases. (It is better to refuse abroad a foreigner's entry to Canada rather than in Canada.)

-----

IMHO, we should refuse all foreigners making a refugee claim in Canada. Genuine refugees should go to a Canadian office abroad to make their claim. If I were a foreigner, in desperate need of refuge, I would go to the local embassy of a country like Canada. At present, we refuse such people.

So, IMHO, we should also accept - contrary to arcane, bureaucratic UN rules - refugee claims from people in the country of their "citizenship" or "permanent residence". (At present, according to UN rules, a refugee by definition is someone who has left their country.)

Jason Kenney is right. Our refugee system is a mess. It harms genuine refugees and encourages the fraudulent.

----

Then again, modern government is so screwed up that maybe no change is better than any change. The solution is worse than the problem. If I were Kenney, I'd leave this alone, and proceed by slow, step-by-step, conservative changes.

Edited by August1991