Chretien honoured by Queen

Ok, here is the difference. The Queen has a direct link to Canada as it's head of state. The Government of the United Kingdom is completely separate from Canada. This award is not from the government of the United Kingdom and has nothing to do with the government United Kingdom unlike knighthood (a british title) and lordship (a british government office). This is an award that is a personal gift from the Queen of Canada and all Commonwealth Realms. This is also an award that has been given to Prime Ministers if Canada in the past. The fact that most of the current recipients of the award are British and the fact that many places are mistakenly calling the award British does not change the fact that it is a personal gift from the Queen of Canada who also happens to be the Queen of the United Kingdom.

Buddy who are preaching to? The queen is the Queen of Canada, Britain, and other countries. Either she or her governor generals have to ratify every act of legislation coming from the parliaments. What if she and her governor generals refuses to do this?

Power stems from the Barrel of a Gun. If the Queen and her Governor Generals should decide to go to war with Canada's parliament and bureacrats she would require the resources to quash the resistance. Easily done if France, Spain, perhaps the US as they appear to recognize the queen as Canada's head of state.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...ok/geos/CA.html

steps in to defend in her "realms'

If the queen should decide to seize the power of Canada what recourse would Canada's parliament and bureacracy have? Zero!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you are not understanding what I am saying.

Who but you can understand what you're saying? It's all gibberish! You can't differentiate between the Queen in one council vs. the Queen in another council vs. the Queen in no council. You can't understand the difference between appointment to an order and elevation to the peerage. You can't understand the process of appointment into the Order of Merit. You apparently can't tell Australians or South Africans apart from Brits. So, I think smallc can be forgiven for being a little befuddled by your meandering nonsense.

[ed. for grammar]

Edited by g_bambino

And it seems that her majesty disagrees with you.

Her Royal Highness has over the years literally handed out tons of award to many people,many of the awards given to people that are quite popular with the public,but otherwise undeserving.For example,dope-head bed-hopping rock stars,big deal. <_<

The Queen has lot's of time for stuff like this,she's never done a days work in her life. ;)

Describes a helluva lot of things. Doesn't mean the peerage is the same as an order; just like an order is not the same as a decoration, nor as a medal, nor as membership at Costco.

It's kind of an irony Chretien would accept any honour from the Queen given the fact he protested and prevented Conrad Black from becoming a Lord. Conrad Black had to renounced his Canadian citizenship and relocate to Britain.

It's kind of an irony Chretien would accept any honour from the Queen given the fact he protested and prevented Conrad Black from becoming a Lord.

Why didn't people say these kinds of stupid things when Chretien was inducted into the Order of Canada? It's an honour from the Queen, too. (Of course, that's pretty much a rhetorical question; I'm confident I know the answer already.)

If the Queen did this, Harper has approved it.

And I suspect that Harper is appealing to Chretien's vanity - against Chretien's interests in the the federal Liberal Party, assuming he has any.

Good move on Harper's part. What better way to make Chretien look like a hypocrite. Interesting that an American citizen can accept a Knighthood but according to Chretien, a Canadian may not. A certain lack of self esteem on Canada's part perhaps?

The House of Lords is PART of the British Government...well, for now anyway.

Why would Canada care if a foreign country decided it didn't mind foreign citizens in its government? The Lord Black affair was nothing more than a pissing match between two monstrous egos combined with a Canadian identity crisis.

I believe it has to do with an agreement that exists between Commonwealth Realms and has nothing to do with a Canadian identity crisis. The only place that a Canadian identity crisis exists is in the minds of those people who imagine it.

Edited by Smallc

Describes a helluva lot of things. Doesn't mean the peerage is the same as an order; just like an order is not the same as a decoration, nor as a medal, nor as membership at Costco.

Having a peerage is being part of an order. Did you read the definitions? As usual a ignorant liberal who can't take being called a hypocrite.

I believe it has to do with an agreement that exists between Commonwealth Realms and has nothing to do with a Canadian identity crisis. The only place that a Canadian identity crisis exists is in the minds of those people who imagine it.

Really, then why are we offended when governments of countries we respect see fit to honour our citizens for what they consider to be meritorious service? You would think we would be flattered. We believe it is our right to give people like Nelson Mandela the Order of Canada. I have no problem with that but it's a bit pompous considering our position on Canadians receiving foreign awards of a similar nature don't you think?

Having a peerage is being part of an order. Did you read the definitions? As usual a ignorant liberal who can't take being called a hypocrite.

So I guess being in an order makes them the same?

An Order of Merit confers no title although one can add OM after their name.

Being raised to the peerage, however, does confer a title and allows one to sit in the House of Lords.

These are substantial differences.

I have no problem with that but it's a bit pompous considering our position on Canadians receiving foreign awards of a similar nature don't you think?

The Order of Canada doesn't mean Mandela can sit in the Canadian Senate.

Really, then why are we offended when governments of countries we respect see fit to honour our citizens for what they consider to be meritorious service? You would think we would be flattered. We believe it is our right to give people like Nelson Mandela the Order of Canada. I have no problem with that but it's a bit pompous considering our position on Canadians receiving foreign awards of a similar nature don't you think?

I have no problem with Mandela getting the Order of Canada just like I have no problem with Jean Chretien getting the Order of Merit.

It is flattering but I think it is really a personal thing than anything else.

I also don't have a problem with Canadians being elevated to the peerage but I do understand why some don't like it.

The point being - most people can appreciate that there are substantial differences between a peerage and the OM.

Those who can't seem to be arguing in this very forum.

Nor should he but why should you or I care if Black or any other Canadian citizen sits in the House of Lords?

That has been the debate in Canada for a long time. I believe the government of Canada has tried to set up its own awards of merit and filled its own appointments.

The awarding of knighthoods and using the title and inherited positions seemed to run contrary to what Canadian values were in regards to independence.

These are substantial differences.

Only in what is expected and given to the inductees, but both are orders. Why is it that nelson mandella is only an honourary member while Chriten is one if the exclusive 24? Why was he not given the Honourary title?