Federal Funding of Gay Pride Parade

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jul/09070615.html

The revelation of $400,000 in funding from the federal Conservatives for the recent Toronto Gay Pride parade, which is notorious for its inclusion of full frontal nudity and public sex acts by homosexuals, came as a shock to most social conservatives in the nation. According to Conservative MP Brad Trost, however, the decision to fund the event also came a shock to most of the Conservative caucus, even those inside the Prime Minister's office.

Speaking to LifeSiteNews.com from his riding office in Saskatoon today, the 36-year-old Conservative said, "The pro-life and the pro-family community should know and understand that the tourism funding money that went to the gay pride parade in Toronto was not government policy, was not supported by - I think it's safe to say by a large majority - of the MPs. This was a very isolated decision."

Trost also hinted that Minister Diane Ablonczy, who was responsible for the funding, lost the file as a consequence of the embarrassment to the Party. Protesting more than once that there was no "official connection," he said, however, "it should be noted that the file has been reassigned to a different Cabinet Minister since that announcement was made." He added, "The whole tourism program and funding for major tourism events is being reviewed."

Ablonczy demoted?

She is certainly a target of the social conservatives in the last weeks. Most seem very angry with her on talk radio.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are public sex acts at the Pride Parade???? Not that I have ever seen. Nor have I ever seen full frontal nudity... Perhaps I've been watching from the wrong corner?

Probably the 'right' corner if you want to be more accurate. It's a little sick sometimes. I went to a beer promotion once that was going on during the Pride Parade (friends of mine work at a certain brewery downtown Toronto) and some of the dudes there were wearing buttless/frontless chaps etc. :blink:

They get away with a lot that weekend.

there are public sex acts at the Pride Parade???? Not that I have ever seen. Nor have I ever seen full frontal nudity... Perhaps I've been watching from the wrong corner?

I have seen full frontal a few times...mainly from the lesbian contingent but there is also been some penis flashings...

What suprises my is I have been under the impression that Pride week was fully funded by sponsors..thatit didn't need any handouts....And I agree, there is no reason why the government should fund a bachanal concerned with adult sexuality.

What concerns me even more is the embraciong of the bachanal by Toronto Childrens Aid.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jul/09070615.html

Ablonczy demoted?

She is certainly a target of the social conservatives in the last weeks. Most seem very angry with her on talk radio.

This reminds me of the ridiculous circus of the Gay Games of Montréal back in 2006- when gay groups where blackmailing companies to fund the games lest they be hit with a "discrimination" law suit. They bullied a few screenprinting companies into bankrolling their campaign to make the entire banner and propaganda signage, and then never paid them after going bankrupt. A lot of companies lost out in this and the "olympic committee" refused to even issue a formal apology to such comapnies as Mirabau inc and countless others (EyeCandy Media, Forzani group, Air Canada, Labatt Brewing Company, Bell Canada etc)

Of course the gay debt of the outgames (estimated at 5 million) will now be paid by all montrealers... that's right the rest of the population picks up the tab for the what the richest minority in canada (gays) fecklessly caused.

Now this? Should I even be surprised?

We can almost see the day when being gay will probably get you a monthly allowance of 2000$ from the government...

This reminds me of the ridiculous circus of the Gay Games of Montréal back in 2006- when gay groups where blackmailing companies to fund the games lest they be hit with a "discrimination" law suit.
This is the heart of the issue.

I call it the Widows and Orphans argument. You can make yourself impervious to criticsm if you create an organization that ostensibly protects widows and orphans. If anyone opposes you or even criticizes you, it appears that they oppose widows and orphans.

Canada's human rights tribunals and a myriad of environmental and third world lobby groups receive funding or support this way.

----

If the asexual want to proclaim in public their pride in not having had sex in years, then I have no objection. But they shouldn't get a dime of my taxpayer money for their parade.

If the asexual want to proclaim in public their pride in not having had sex in years, then I have no objection.

You have no objection, but I and many others do. I should be able to go out in a public area and not have my sense of decency assaulted, by some debased swine who want to wave their genitals.

I should be able to take my kids for a walk there, and not see their urge for public obescenity. Without this restriction, my liberty is curtailed. Do I not also have rights? Or are my rights only, that I must hide from being in public when they chose to display themselves.

If they want to fag each other off in privacy, thats their business. Just as it is mine to be with my good lady wife, in the privacy of our home.

I am not a fan of government funding for any of these local festivals. The government raced through funding for Ottawa's Jazz festival last month and I'm not happy with that either. If the Jazz festival needs money let them raise it. If it's a boon to tourism - in Ottawa - let Ottawa pay for it.

Similarly, I don't care what the alleged profits to the local economy are of gay pride celebrations in Toronto. Neither federal nor provincial governments should be funding it to the tune of one thin dime. Toronto can fund it if they feel there's profit for their community in it, otherwise, let them pay for it themselves.

There are far worthier projects for scarce government dollars than these kinds of things.

Edited by Argus

I am not a fan of government funding for any of these local festivals. The government raced through funding for Ottawa's Jazz festival last month and I'm not happy with that either. If the Jazz festival needs money let them raise it. If it's a boon to tourism - in Ottawa - let Ottawa pay for it.

Similarly, I don't care what the alleged profits to the local economy are of gay pride celebrations in Toronto. Neither federal nor provincial governments should be funding it to the tune of one thin dime. Toronto can fund it if they feel there's profit for their community in it, otherwise, let them pay for it themselves.

There are far worthier projects for scarce government dollars than these kinds of things.

Well said and I totally agree. I shouldn't be subsidizing municipal events in other cities.

Seems Harper didn't like the minister of giving $400,000 to Toronto Gay Pride parade which is held for a number of years now. Just what is his problem, is it the amount of money OR is it what it was used for???? When you consider what one Tory already thoughts of Gays, one doesn't have to think about it too long. Of course, Harper is going out of the country, so he won't have to deal with it now. http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/billion+...5646/story.html

Your link is about military spending, not Diane Ablonczy.

Ablonczy is not "gone". The program for funding of festivals has been returned to Tony Clement who used to be responsible for the file. Ablonczy retains tourism.

In an email, Rob Taylor, Ablonczy's chief of staff, said that budget was returned to Industry Canada so that the MP from Calgary-Nose Hill and her staff could concentrate on the federal tourism strategy.

He added that the minister handling Industry Canada is also freer to handle the file now.

"The MTEP program is back with Minister Clement now that the auto file and many of the other economic stimulus programs have calmed down. He is the responsible minister and is reviewing all economic-stimulus spending."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/200...st-federal.html

I don't care if it's for jazz, gays, dance groups, basket weavers, whatever. Festivals held mainly to fill the coffers of municipalities should be funded locally, preferably by private sponsors.

This was a judgment error on the part of Ablonczy. I'm glad to see the funding budget for festivals has been taken away from her.

hear hear,

It now appears that the decision on Ablonczy is indeed being characterized as a demotion.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

He said that responsibility for the Marquee Tourism Events Program, a $100 million initiative, has been given to another cabinet minister. The two-year program helps fund major tourism events such as the Calgary Stampede, which recieved nearly $2 million or Ottawa's Bluesfest, which took about $1.5 million from the program.

Industry Minister Tony Clement has taken over the program, his office confirmed.

I also agree. Why are we using taxpayer dollars to fund worthless events such as pride parades? They should raise money privately. They should also be held to the same public decency standards the rest of us are.

Most I've seen at the Vancouver Gay Pride Parade was some top-less Dykes On Bikes, mind you they do put pasties over their nipples.

They should also be held to the same public decency standards the rest of us are.

Enforcing indecent exposure laws or by-laws that apply to straights would discourage those hundreds of thousands of gawkers from congregating at gay pride parades and sporting events (outgames, as they're called). Who wants to view clothed people parade down Younge street or play volleyball?

Can't help but wonder which is causing the most gnashing of teeth among the morally outraged sect, that funding was used to support a cultural/social event, or that it was used to support a gay event. Somehow I doubt we would be hearing such outrage or anti-funding posts had an equal amount or even double the amount of money was donated to support a Conservative Christian Pride Week. Plus I noticed, that no one has yet spoken up against the C$2 Million donated to support the Calgary Stampede.....funny how that works.