CBC

ft

Yeah, Al Waxman sure became an international superstar.

Sorry - but I was responding to YOUR point that the CBC didn't make anyone well known here, not internationally.

Or to quote you directly:

"CBC didn't make Canadian artsist well known here"

Al Waxman was a Canadian artsist [sic] "well known here".

Al Waxman was a Canadian artsist [sic] "well known here".

Not one person in one hundred under age forty would have name recognition of Al Waxman, so I'd dispute he was well known. My reference to him was intended sarcastically.

You did get my point right though, the CBC was not responsible for CanCon, the CRTC obliged all carriers inclduing CBC to carry Candiuan artists and shows no matter how painfully, desperately lame they were.

You'll note that Loverboy got played one hell of a lot more here than they did in the US. Did the CBC make them famous?

Waited a few weeks to comment on the CBC's revamp in their news department.

The National News with Peter Mansbridge was mocked for the absence of the desk. They tried this back in the Peter Kent days. It was silly then as well. Looks like they have stopped Peter from pacing around out there. I am still assessing the main news.

I think the CBC News website has improved. The CTV website has become worse and from what I have heard there have been a few complaints about the change.

Haven't noticed a difference in the radio news aside from the fact that they changed the opening music again. I can't remember what they call those opening notes. Anyone remember?

The Politics show is interesting. I will wait a bit to assess it more. My impression of Solomon prior to his being named was that he might not be evenhanded. That comparison of course is measured against Don Newman. My gold standard for tough but affable goes to Tim Russert.

I'll wait a bit more to see how things pan out. I will say this: I miss the National and Journal combo. I don't think we shall see those days again but I do miss the gravitas the show had then.

• Like 1

I'd like to add a personal criticism about the CBC.ca website and its moderation. I made TWO attempts at a diplomatically worded critique of what was an obvious CBC bias towards favouring the Liberal party. it was during an article discussing the billion dollar ehealth scandal in Ontario. It was a long article and never made ONE mention of the political affiliations of the criminals who stole Ontario's money. The word "Liberal" wasn't ANYWHERE in the article. I pointed this out in order to call the CBC out on its pro-Liberal bias (which isn't even that subtle, sometimes), I tried twice, and the comments never made it past the moderator gatekeepers. Pathetic.

As an aside, I see a massive about of reprehensible posts/comments all over the CBC website, anti-American, anti-Israel, pro-terrorist, etc, etc, etc. The moderation of comments at CBC is sickening.

Just thought I'd share that anecdote with you, perhaps you folks also have stories regarding illustration of CBC bias with respect to the moderation of comments on its website or otherwise?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/10/07/ehealth-auditor.html

Google me this batman....

The top story I found on a search had the word 'Liberal' in it and plenty of anti-Liberal comments on the story. Is there some detail about your comment being censored that you left out perhaps ?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/10/07/ehealth-auditor.html

Google me this batman....

The top story I found on a search had the word 'Liberal' in it and plenty of anti-Liberal comments on the story. Is there some detail about your comment being censored that you left out perhaps ?

Well, that wasn't the article I was attempting to reply to. Interestingly, though (and compatible with my argument of a pro-Liberal bias at the CBC), the article you've linked only has one mention of the Liberal party. How can an article discussing this billion dollars fraud not make stronger connections between the criminals (the Liberals responsible for this fraud) and the crime?

Furthermore, perhaps you have reading comprehension issues: I specifically stated that the ARTICLE I attempted to comment on didn't make ONE mention of the Liberal party. How can a story regarding a billion dollars fraud NOT make a connection to the Liberal governing party and its appointed Minster of Health and subsequent Liberal-friendly consultants/contractors? It was insanity. I made no mention of criticisms of the Liberal party being permitted to get through the moderators into the comments section. It was the article's bias I was describing, and not the bias of the permitted comments with respect to the Liberal party. To be absolutely clear, the bias of the CBC with respect to its moderation of comments was illustrated to me by them not permitting a comment that criticized the CBC of being biased. Comments critical of the Liberal party are on occasion permitted, comments criticizing the bias of the CBC are strictly prohibited.

My comment was worded just like this: "Notice how in this article there is not even one mention of the Liberal party, clearly illustrating the not-so-subtle political bias of the CBC given the fact that the Liberals of Ontario are wholly responsible for this fraud". That's exactly what I said,, perhaps phrased slightly differently, but no less diplomatically, and no less directly. The CBC will, in my experience, not permit any comments illustrating its bias. I made no comment about whether or not the CBC permitted comments that were critical of the Liberal party, in order to give the illusion of balance.

Perhaps you should actually read posts before responding to them.

Edited by Gabriel

Yes, Gabriel, I read all of the above but it wasn't clear to me that your post was about CBC bias itself.

Now that we have that cleared up - have a look at this:

http://www.cbc.ca/aboutcbc/discover/termsofuse.html#submissions

There's nothing in there that says you can't criticize the CBC so if I were you I would ask for an explanation.

Yes, Gabriel, I read all of the above but it wasn't clear to me that your post was about CBC bias itself.

Now that we have that cleared up - have a look at this:

http://www.cbc.ca/aboutcbc/discover/termsofuse.html#submissions

There's nothing in there that says you can't criticize the CBC so if I were you I would ask for an explanation.

Hi Michael,

I don't care enough to ask. I know why they didn't permit my message. I know why it wasn't permitted TWICE. It's the result of biased moderators. There's policy, and there's real life. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update - I'm having trouble getting my posts approved, again. The left-wing CBC moderators are out in full force! I'm trying to comment on an article discussing the whole Colvin-Afgan prisoner abuse testimony, but unsurprisingly, my posts are never approved. Just perusing through the approved comments, about 90% are anti-Conservative and anti-Harper and pro-Colvin, while 10% seem to be light scepticism of Colvin's allegations. The CBC is so pathetic.

Once Barbara Frum passed away so did the CBC as we know it. Give it some time and the CBC will be sold to the Americans..and then it will be 24 hours stand up news casting just like CNN - except they will probably fire the top heavey gay management that only like to hire those males that comply to the agenda of the intellectual gay...what a joke.

Looks like no one has come to counter this post. CBC is a retirement home...once all the residents age to the point of not functioning and die - then this crown corporation will cease to exist. There will not be any sons and daughters to take over prime positions because they do not breed in a vigours manner - in fact the base that is CBC - does not breed at all.

Looks like no one has come to counter this post. CBC is a retirement home...once all the residents age to the point of not functioning and die - then this crown corporation will cease to exist. There will not be any sons and daughters to take over prime positions because they do not breed in a vigours manner - in fact the base that is CBC - does not breed at all.

Oleg, you're wrong wrong wrong!

There are at least three thirty-somethings in Canada that I know of who don't have a fetish for American-style TV, have seen the glimmer of hope from the jewel that public broadcasting is, and are vigorously copulating to continue the crown corporation.

Oleg, you're wrong wrong wrong!

There are at least three thirty-somethings in Canada that I know of who don't have a fetish for American-style TV, have seen the glimmer of hope from the jewel that public broadcasting is, and are vigorously copulating to continue the crown corporation.

The post has style. "Vigorously copulating" - actually I love the CBC - but being mildly homo-furobic - I slightly resent the over load of old men loving boys - and also ....If you can or they can stick to high quality broadcasting ..then I personally will overlook creepy people whether they be gay - straight or parasitic bureacrats of media - Okay - let CBC live - but do a good job and don't take your positions for granted - give us some meat and potatoes culture - not jazz that makes the observer loyal due to the idea that CBC is INTELECTUAL...SOcalled intellectuals block artist of great spirt - CBC like the rest of the crown corporations needs an influx and injection of SPIRIT.