CBC

I don't either...in fact, I don't nearly as much polarization of Canadians in the last year or two.

The number of Albertans that listen to CBC Radio seems to say that he's wrong also.

Edited by Smallc

Your attempts to divert this to a 'radio only' discussion are amusing.

Funny how your attempt is to avoid talking about the success of CBC radio and that they don't take money from advertisers which lends to an overall healthy radio market.

One wonders what it would be like if CTV Tv went the same way.

Your love of CBC radio is touching, can I assume it will result in you actually taking some money from your pocket, rather than my pocket, for your entertainment choices?

Your hate of CBC is amusing.

I support no taxpapyer money going to CBC. I believe it should come from private industry, have no commercials and the CBC should get out of bidding for things like the Olympics and hockey.

Funny how your attempt is to avoid talking about the success of CBC radio and that they don't take money from advertisers which lends to an overall healthy radio market.

One wonders what it would be like if CTV Tv went the same way.

Your hate of CBC is amusing.

I support no taxpapyer money going to CBC. I believe it should come from private industry, have no commercials and the CBC should get out of bidding for things like the Olympics and hockey.

Success? Who listens to radio any more except middle aged people and older? How does the CBC sucking at the teat of all of us lend to a healthy radio market?

The money should come from private industry? Why would they be more enthisiastic about supporting your entertainment choices than I am? Do you also support free magazines and bowling for yourself too?

Arrogant and selfish, enjoy it while you can.

Success? Who listens to radio any more except middle aged people and older? How does the CBC sucking at the teat of all of us lend to a healthy radio market?

Sorry that you hate older people.

CBC radio is one of the top radio stations in many of the markets it is in.

The money should come from private industry? Why would they be more enthisiastic about supporting your entertainment choices than I am? Do you also support free magazines and bowling for yourself too?

I imagine they might be excited about not competing with CBC for Hollywood far, sporting events and getting the $200 million or so in ads. I imagine they will continue to be excited by the large profits they get.

Arrogant and selfish, enjoy it while you can.

Delusional and angry. Be sad that it isn't going anywhere.

That's not what I heard. Apparently, if Harper gets his majority he'll (enter scary prediction here).... :P

I'm sure a majority would give Harper cause to cut CBC's budget. I suspect a severe kick in the balls for it from Quebec quarters especially.

Does anyone else agree with fellowtraveller's assertion about CBC being a factor in the polarization of Canadians ?

I don't see it.

French vs English: Radio -Canada is scarcely a federalist (unifying)force

left vs right.: even CBC does not pretend to present anything but the left side of the agenda anymore. Of ocurse, neither does right wing talk radio, with the difference being I don't have to pay for that.

French vs English: Radio -Canada is scarcely a federalist (unifying)force

left vs right.: even CBC does not pretend to present anything but the left side of the agenda anymore. Of ocurse, neither does right wing talk radio, with the difference being I don't have to pay for that.

ft,

But is anyone complaining loudly enough about this ? There are still a lot of people listening to CBC (watching too) who can get their right-wing radio attendant tire commercials elsewhere. I'm not saying this is a great situation (although it is - :D ) but it's not polarizing either.

left vs right.: even CBC does not pretend to present anything but the left side of the agenda anymore.

That's not even close to true. They don't present any side....or very rarely. They do the best job of any Canadian news organization of being unbiased.

That's not even close to true. They don't present any side....or very rarely. They do the best job of any Canadian news organization of being unbiased.

It is utterly impossible for any news organization to not have a bias.

Let me repeat that: impossible. You may hate that, but it is reality.

I invite you to listen with an objective ear. It is very difficult but can be done with some self discipline.

Would you like some examples of shows that exhibit their bias every time out?

The House.

The Current.

Q.

Cross Country Checkup.

Sunday Edition

Special mention goes to Michael Enright, who not only openly hates anything to do with the current government but also openly and candidly hates Americaq and Americans, though he has been confused rather badly by the election of Obama.

Another shout out to CCC, where nearly all callers of the wrong stripe are weeded out by the producers before they get on air. They do allow the occasional loon through to embarass himself, but opposing (read non left) callers with reasoned and considered comments are not welcome or permitted as callers or guests. You don't even have to listen carefully to hear that bias.

And given that every organization has bias, what is to be done? Supporters of the free provision of their propaganda insist nothing be done, since the status quo suits them. I personally have no problem to the existence of the bias or the existence of the CBC.

I simply do not wish to pay for it. If you love it, get out your wallet.

ft

Unfortunately for you, the system doesn't let you opt out of what you don't want to pay for. You can vote for a government that will allocate resources differently but that's about it. If you want to complain, go to a government with no taxes and no services. Enjoy Pakistan, by the way.

And do you have a link where Enright describes his hate for the current government, America and Americans too ?

I realize that some people think Canada is a buffet where you can pick and choose. Don't like a war? Deduct my share from taxes? Don't like the CBC? Deduct my share from my taxes. Etc, etc.

It is a rather petulant attitude where we see some people screaming why should I pay for someone else's road when I don't drive? Why do I pay for someone else's water when I have a well? Yadda yadda.

ft

Unfortunately for you, the system doesn't let you opt out of what you don't want to pay for. You can vote for a government that will allocate resources differently but that's about it. If you want to complain, go to a government with no taxes and no services. Enjoy Pakistan, by the way.

And do you have a link where Enright describes his hate for the current government, America and Americans too ?

The system of providing entertainment and news to a few Candians at the expense of all Canadians will be changed, so enjoy it while you can.

It isn't defence, foreign policy, environment....it is news and entertainment. In the early days, the CBC was the only source, now they are only one of many, many sources.

I have been to Pakistan, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very friendly, outgoing people. Except the ones who want to saw your head off.

You can vote for a government that will allocate resources differently but that's about it.
??? That is one option available to government, but their prioroties and provions of services and emans of service delivery change all the time. Programs come and go. You'd best get used to that idea, the CBCs days in its current form are numbered. Edited by fellowtraveller

All I see is your opinion that there's bias. Perhaps it's you with the bias?

No question that I have bias.

Do you actually believe that any media outlet can avoid bias?

Yes, every Sunday morning you can hear it. All that is required is to listen dispassionately.

The book on blatant bias though, now departed after 30 years at CBC, was written by Jason Moscovitz. Chretien appointed him to a safe porkbarrel job in 2002 after a lifetime of being ignorant on-air to anybody but Liberals. His heirs, some named here, have learned well.

ft

The system of providing entertainment and news to a few Candians at the expense of all Canadians will be changed, so enjoy it while you can. It isn't defence, foreign policy, environment....it is news and entertainment. In the early days, the CBC was the only source, now they are only one of many, many sources.

It's not just the CBC - all Canadians pay into a fund that pays for Canadian media. Come to think of it, so do taxpayers generally with the Canadian Television Fund.

Many, many sources are funded by these fees.

I have been to Pakistan, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very friendly, outgoing people. Except the ones who want to saw your head off.

Ok, well send us a postcard.

That is one option available to government, but their prioroties and provions of services and emans of service delivery change all the time. Programs come and go. You'd best get used to that idea, the CBCs days in its current form are numbered.

The CBC has changed drastically since I listened to old radio shows on my local AM station as a child. I look forward to the changes. If it weren't for the CBC, we may not have arrived at this era where Canadian content is well known.

"Well known"? Cancon as executued by the CBC has done nothing for Canadian television, except drive away their own viewers through the crushing weight of crap produced. CBC didn't make Canadian artsist well known here, it was legislation by the govt that applied to every carrier, not just the CBC. CanCon has had no impact on people outside Canada listening to Canadian music, and neither has CBC except for a remarkably small number of international hits..

ft

"Well known"? Cancon as executued by the CBC has done nothing for Canadian television, except drive away their own viewers through the crushing weight of crap produced. CBC didn't make Canadian artsist well known here, it was legislation by the govt that applied to every carrier, not just the CBC. CanCon has had no impact on people outside Canada listening to Canadian music, and neither has CBC except for a remarkably small number of international hits..

Sure they made Canadian artists well known here. There are lots of examples. Even the King of Kensington.