Internet or electronic voting

It seems Election Canada wants to try out voting on the internet because they think they will get more people out to vote. It may or may not, but the reason people aren't voting is they are losing faith in the people who are the leaders of the party or politicans in general. I am strongly against this because of the fraud that can and could occur. The electronic voting is NOT 100% safe as we heard during the Bush era. The hackers can add or take away votes as they see fit. What are we now going to harmonize with the US to make easier down the road to harmonize everything else? THE only way this way of voting could become honest is to have a receipt back from the machine to prove who you have voted for. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/657595

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No never - no no no ---all electronic voting can be corrupted..why let the fox rule the chicken coup? There are wiz kids that can come up with very clever and un-detectable ways to prevert democracy....what's wrong with low tech...an X on a piece of paper works.

Not a big fan of it myself. No system is perfect, but moving to electronic voting creates bigger problems than it solves, in my opinion. Politics here will only get uglier and more partisan if there is any reason to doubt the integrity of the vote.

I think it could be made to be secure - or fairly secure anyway, and I would love it if I could vote by internet.

They could link it up with the ePass service provided by Service Canada. ePass is registered using your social insurance number, and when you register they send you your password via registered snail mail - only you can receive the mail and they will only send to the address that Service Canada / Revenue Canada has on file.

Once you vote, the system could be set up to report back to you what your decision was and if the decision reported is different than your choice they could set up a dispute resolution service.

The only problem I could see with it is forced voting - i.e. someone standing behind you forcing you to vote a certain way - although they could dispute that later using the dispute resolution centre, and I think those scenarios would be minimal.

At the end of the day, I trust trading stocks and options, do all my banking, apply for and pay for insurance, monitor my information with revenue canada all online and all securely - so why would it not be secure for me to place a vote?

Not a big fan of it myself. No system is perfect, but moving to electronic voting creates bigger problems than it solves, in my opinion. Politics here will only get uglier and more partisan if there is any reason to doubt the integrity of the vote.

First there are always very lucrative contracts to be handed out ot soft and hard ware companies - these companies can not help but assist those who pay top dollar for machines...and because someone is giving them money - they can ask the suppliers of the machines to do them a favour once in a while - to perhaps fix an election - you simply can not control electronic voting - it's like trying to control the internet...to many variables...look at the use of electronic voting in the states - nothing but problems and scandals. Why would we mimic that? Also - what it this rush to make EVERYTHING high tech? Just because it's there does not mean you have to use it..there is no shame in being low with paper and pencil - It's more accurate - and it's controlable.

I first thing I thought of was this is Harper next attempt to stay in power? By having this Harper could get his majority by hacking the software to his advantage and it can be done so easily. That's why we (Voters) need a receipt to prove who we voted for.

I first thing I thought of was this is Harper next attempt to stay in power? By having this Harper could get his majority by hacking the software to his advantage and it can be done so easily. That's why we (Voters) need a receipt to prove who we voted for.

Give me a break. Security measures could be set in place.

As I already said, many people trust managing all their finances on the internet and that is secure. To me, my personal finances are much more important than my single vote.

It seems Election Canada wants to try out voting on the internet because they think they will get more people out to vote. It may or may not, but the reason people aren't voting is they are losing faith in the people who are the leaders of the party or politicans in general. I am strongly against this because of the fraud that can and could occur. The electronic voting is NOT 100% safe as we heard during the Bush era. The hackers can add or take away votes as they see fit. What are we now going to harmonize with the US to make easier down the road to harmonize everything else? THE only way this way of voting could become honest is to have a receipt back from the machine to prove who you have voted for. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/657595

If you're so lazy you couldn't be bothered going a few blocks to vote then I don't WANT you voting.

I also don't like paperless voting because it makes it far too easy to cheat. I strongly distrust those electronic voting machines in the US and internet voting would be even more wide open to manipulation.

It is not raw numbers of voters we need, it is interested voters who put the necessary time and effort and consideration into knowing who they ought to be voting for. If only 1% of the electorate vote but they all have done so with thought and effort that's fine with me.

All voting systems have an inherent risk of fraud and the more complicated the system, the greater that risk becomes.

While the idea of electronic and internet based voting seems appealing at first blush, I am against the idea simply because I have no control of what is happening behind the screen. As far as I know, my vote for candidate A could be switch electronically through the power of black programming to be a vote for candidate B. During both Bush Jr.'s electoral wins, there were many reported cases of votes being switched to him even though the voters in question claimed to have voted for the other candidate. And with no paper trail to follow, such claims are had to either prove or disprove.

Then there is the privacy issue. Sure "they" will tell us that our privacy will be protected and no record of who voted for whom will be kept, can we be sure of that? While this issue may not be all that important in the current free democracy we live in today, who is to say that it will be that way in the future? As it is, we are track more ways then we can imagine. Our spending and buying habits are tracked every time we use a debit card, credit card or one of those many so-called "loyalty" cards. And that information which we think is private has been sold off to other marketers in the past.

In my book, the simple marking an X on a paper ballot and stuffing it into a ballot box is the best method, it's quick, it's simple, it's pretty much fool-proof, and it leaves behind a verifiable paper trail. And it has work for us for many centuries now.

The hardware and software are not the problems. If we can trust the internet banking systems to access our bank accounts, why can't we trust a internet voting system? There are a lot of ways to settle the problems caused by hardwares and softwares. For example, we can use several sets of hardwares and softwares developed by different companies to count votes simultaneously, so we can find out faulty or cheat if the results counted by these systems are different.

The only flaw of a internet voting system is the system can not spot out who is voting at another end of the system. The system only recognizes the stupid password or something. Anyone who enters the password will be the one who is symbolized by the password, so we can imagine that there will be some mindless guys lost their passwords or their passwords will be cheated by criminals, or they will sell their passwords or hardware keys to gangs which want to manipulate elections.

The hardware and software are not the problems. If we can trust the internet banking systems to access our bank accounts, why can't we trust a internet voting system?

If the bank removes money from our accounts, people will notice. But if you vote for X and your vote comes out at the other end as Y you will never know. There is room in these electronic voting systems for widespread fraud if you're on the inside, and there have been strong allegations about just that happening in the US.

If the bank removes money from our accounts, people will notice. But if you vote for X and your vote comes out at the other end as Y you will never know. There is room in these electronic voting systems for widespread fraud if you're on the inside, and there have been strong allegations about just that happening in the US.

Oh sure.....it must be true if there are allegations in the "US". LOL! :lol:

Somebody has to live in the US, otherwise you couldn't define anything.

BC my friend - no one defines themselves though a nation such as America, but they do identify with those that are happy - it's all about the persuit of happiness and actually catching that fleeting thing...sounds like you did that..and it's not about money or America - it's about the concept of having the common sense to be happy - regardless.

BC my friend - no one defines themselves though a nation such as America, but they do identify with those that are happy - it's all about the persuit of happiness and actually catching that fleeting thing...sounds like you did that..and it's not about money or America - it's about the concept of having the common sense to be happy - regardless.

Not so much happy as content.....just ask any Italian. There is a difference.

Not so much happy as content.....just ask any Italian. There is a difference.

While you are in a state of contentment - you can toy with the ideas of happiness...contentment is being thankful for what you have - but neither you or I are totally happy - because we see things in the world that should not be...it causes concern because we are a soft touch - and care...I am fairly happy - those around me when they are not happy should get lost - I am tired of unhappy people with full stomachs and cash in their pockets.