Lesbian in Vancouver CHRC

In Vancouver, a stand up comic made some onstage comments toward a heckling Lesbian.

He is now facing a Canadian Human Rights tribunal - at no expense to the complainant and at full expense to him.

Video of his account of the events.

Link to story in Vancouver Sun

Is this kind of censorship/witch hunt OK in a free society?

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Vancouver, a stand up comic made some onstage comments toward a heckling Lesbian.

He is now facing a Canadian Human Rights tribunal - at no expense to the complainant and at full expense to him.

Aren't you one of the same folks who now hate Letterman for his "joke" about Palin's daughter.

LOL

Do you wish someone would have stopped Letterman? Or you ok with his telling of the joke?

What if (OMG!) Palin's 14 yo daughter is a lesbian! LOL

Edited by Drea

Aren't you the same folks who now hate Letterman for his "joke" about Palin's daughter.

LOL

Do you wish someone would have stopped Letterman? Or you ok with his telling of the joke?

Dunno about the others, but personally I couldn't care less what Letterman said.

Edited by Bonam

Aren't you one of the same folks who now hate Letterman for his "joke" about Palin's daughter.

LOL

Huh? Not even close. If you read the thread I started on Palin, in big block letters is says

I DON'T CARE WHAT LETTERMAN SAID.

Please address the topic at hand.

THE POINT IS...

there is a question here. IS THIS RIGHT? SHOULD THIS KIND OF CENSORSHIP BE ALLOWED IN OUR COUNTRY, AND WHAT, AS CANADIANS ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT DEFENDING OUR BASIC RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS?

The moment you stop telling someone else to stfu, things should get better. :)

How do you mean?

I don't know what this thread is about - but if it's about beating up on a lesbian - forget it - I have never met a lesbian that did not adore a good man...maybe the problem is she is dealing with primative stupid woman hating lustful doinks.. :lol:

How do you mean?

The Bill or fights was only enshrined in law and not the Constitution, as far as I know. We did have the right before, you are correct, but it was much easier to remove he right before. The problem now lies with the fact that different rights often clash, leading to difficulties...at least the way I understand things.

The Bill or fights was only enshrined in law and not the Constitution, as far as I know. We did have the right before, you are correct, but it was much easier to remove he right before.

Ah, I see. It may have only been statute law; but, as there was no amending formula to the constitution back then, even if the Bill of Rights was a part of the constitution, it could've been amended by the British parliament anyway. Regardless, that's neither here nor there. I merely wanted to clarify that freedom of speech was not given to us by Trudeau (as some might have you believe). ;)

LOL

You'll note, Drea, that Palin never disputed Letterman's right to free expression (in fact, she endorsed it.)

Rather, she used her own freedom expression to (figuratively speaking) kick the living crap out of him.

They are comedians. Sometimes they offend people. If you are offended, never go to a comedy show. You might just get picked on.

This is my take as well.

If you agree to a boxing match, you've agreed to accept the possibility that you'll get punched in the face.

If you go on a ski-hill, you've agreed to accept the possibility that you'll fall down.

If you sit in the front row at an x-rated comedy club and start heckling the guy with the microphone, you've agreed to accept the possibility that you'll be taunted and provoked.

The situation, as described in the newspaper article, is not the same as someone walking down the street being targeted with hateful comments.

-k

That is one way you to present an analogy, kimmy, but I think that there is perhaps a nuance that you may have missed.

You are correct to say that when you partake in a boxing match, there is the possibility that you will be punched in the face.

But, if you are a stuntman in a boxing movie, playing a boxer in the ring, there is also a possibility you will be punched in the face.

These scenarios are obviously different, however, even though in both cases there is a possibility you will be punched in the face. In the first scenario, punching you in the face is what the other guy is supposed to do. In the second case, he is only supposed to make it look like he is punching you in the face, though he may misjudge and hit you harder than he ought.

Normally, a comedian is supposed to be like the stuntman. He is only supposed to make it look like he is punching people in the face. If he is going to intentionally cross the line into actually punching someone in the face, it better damn well be what is reasonable necessary for self defence, just like in any case of assault where if you use way more force than was necessary you can be charged as well.

And in any case, it is not like one performs at an x-rated comedy club without accepting the possibility than one may be heckled, eh?

Normally, a comedian is supposed to be like the stuntman. He is only supposed to make it look like he is punching people in the face. If he is going to intentionally cross the line into actually punching someone in the face, it better damn well be what is reasonable necessary for self defence, just like in any case of assault where if you use way more force than was necessary you can be charged as well.

Yea.

christ. let it go. RELAX. I can't believe a bunch of conservatives are sitting here trying to get liberals to chill out.

christ. let it go. RELAX. I can't believe a bunch of conservatives are sitting here trying to get liberals to chill out.

I am relaxed, Jerry. If at any time it appears to the contrary, it is because I have had to wipe your frothing spittle off my face because you cannot keep it cool.