Navy waters down plans for Arctic patrol ships

True and correct again. But the point is that Canada relies too heavily on the USA, we need to free ourselves of that crutch. China and Russia represent the best opportunity to do that. We need enhanced trade opportunities and these folks can do that for us. We can partner with Russia in terms of resource development and both of us can serve China as the suppliers of raw materials. China or Russia can provide this nation with consumable products.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True and correct again. But the point is that Canada relies too heavily on the USA, we need to free ourselves of that crutch. China and Russia represent the best opportunity to do that.

You know, I rely far too much on the police. I should cultivate a more friendly relationship with the Hells Angels and the Mafia. :blink:

True and correct again. But the point is that Canada relies too heavily on the USA, we need to free ourselves of that crutch. China and Russia represent the best opportunity to do that. We need enhanced trade opportunities and these folks can do that for us. We can partner with Russia in terms of resource development and both of us can serve China as the suppliers of raw materials. China or Russia can provide this nation with consumable products.

On this I concur, Canada is far too reliant on the US markets. Any wise fund manager will insist his client diversify their investments in order to minimize their risk and still make a good profit. It's an unwise investor who does not heed that advice and puts their entire nest egg into one type of investment, which while during the good times can make them a huge profit, but can also wipe them out when the markets turn sour. Canada was just such an investor, placing the vast majority our nest egg into one main investment. Fortunately we have started to diversify our investments, however we are still too deep invested in the US markets. Not only should we be looking into partnerships with Russia and China, but also with the rest of the entire world.

And we should also stop looking at ourselves as a nation of hewers of wood and totters of water, but also need to reinvest in our manufacturing sectors. We have the talent, the resources and the space to build damn near anything in the world, so why don't we? Some say its because of our levels of pay that we cannot be competitive, I say bullshit. With automation you can drastically decrease labour costs, take the lumber industry for instance. Mills that once employed 100's now can run and product more on a fraction of that physical labour. With lower costs and freed up skilled labour, you can build even more mills and run true economies of scale. Why do you think that nations like the US and Russia are buying up and relocating our closed down mills into their territories? (Yes, I do understand the mechanics of both marco and micro-economics.)

As I said before, Canada is the one great economic superpower that never was, and yet we could easily be if we just had the balls to be so.

Edited by Sabre Rider

As I said before, Canada is the one great economic superpower that never was, and yet we could easily be if we just had the balls to be so.

A great economic superpower that never was? We are an economic superpower.

You know, I rely far too much on the police. I should cultivate a more friendly relationship with the Hells Angels and the Mafia. :blink:

Funny thing, both the Mafia and the Hell's Angels keep a rather low profile and rarely have any direct dealings with the general public, unless of course said member of the public has dealings with them in some manner. The recent crack down on the Hell's Angels has had a rather dramatic and unpleasant side effect here in BC. The vacuums left by the Hell's Angels in the illicit drug trade has allowed such groups as the Red Scorpions and UN Gang to flourish and they been having running gun battles on the streets of the Lower Mainland. In the past, the Hell's Angels would of cracked down hard on those upstarts and maintained a semblance of order in the street drug trade. And while you and I may not agree with said trade, it is a hard fact that there is nothing we can really do to stop it. It's been going on ever since day one and will continue to go on until the profit element is removed from it. Given the choice of having an outlaw biker group such as the Hell's Angels running the show and maintaining a bit of order or have the idiots from the Red Scorpions or UN Gangs running around like it was the old American West, I'll take the Hell's Angels any day of the week.

....We need enhanced trade opportunities and these folks can do that for us. We can partner with Russia in terms of resource development and both of us can serve China as the suppliers of raw materials. China or Russia can provide this nation with consumable products.

That's a swell idea, but with about 80% of Canadian exports going to the USA, you have a long, long way to go. The Americans already have a more diversified export market, from Caterpillar and Boeing to soybeans and scrap steel.

That's a swell idea, but with about 80% of Canadian exports going to the USA, you have a long, long way to go. The Americans already have a more diversified export market, from Caterpillar and Boeing to soybeans and scrap steel.

Thats right, 80% of our eggs in one basket. Just look at what has happened in terms of the auto industry to see the viability of continuation down the current path. Canada has the resources and we have the technological capacity what we don't have enough of is secondary industry to take advantage of our potential. That is the direction to travel, the end goal being enhanced productivity and value added revenues realized through a manufacturing sector based on available resources.

The article said these ships have 25mm "cannons", I think they are just some anti-aircraft guns. It sounds like this ships are just some landing crafts carring marines with ice-breaking ability. If anyone depend on these ships confront a hostile warship along, I think it would be better that they don't have guns---if you don't have guns you are unarmed, so a warship can hardly shoot you. If you have guns but too powerless, you are just doing the other side a favor.

Edited by xul

A great economic superpower that never was? We are an economic superpower.

Over all our economy is doing well for the conditions we are in - but give me a break - if you think we are an economic super power - well, you need to dig your head out of your butt.

Super power? :lol::lol:

Yeah, right!

Borg

The article said these ships have 25mm "cannons", I think they are just some anti-aircraft guns. It sounds like this ships are just some landing crafts carring marines with ice-breaking ability. If anyone depend on these ships confront a hostile warship along, I think it would be better that they don't have guns---if you don't have guns you are unarmed, so a warship can hardly shoot you. If you have guns but too powerless, you are just doing the other side a favor.

To be truly effective, these ships need the following capability:

Ice breaking and heavy ice transit capability

Submarine warfare - detection, self defence and destruction

Ship to ship detection, attack and defence

Surface to air detection, defence and destruction capability

Military personnel and equipment transport and drop off / pick up capability

Non magnetic and low radar signature

Maximum speed of nothing less than 35 knots in open water

Very long range and self sustaining capability

EMP hardening

Satellite and LINK capability

Plus a lot more "little stuff"

And the beat goes on ..... lots more but the price will be too high - heck the Canadians refused a helicopter deal because of cash - wait until they see this bill

Unfortunately they are becoming simple cutters - unable to do much at all.

A 25 mil is not a cannon - it is a heavy machine gun - heck the F-18 carries a 20 mm - and I have fired the 25 from ground positions - and it for sure does not have the capability to deter any modern maritime threat

I am not sure the Canadian public as a whole is concerned and I am not sure the military could even man these vessels should they ever be built.

Borg

Edited by Borg

Over all our economy is doing well for the conditions we are in - but give me a break - if you think we are an economic super power - well, you need to dig your head out of your butt.

Super power? :lol::lol:

Yeah, right!

Borg

So, being one of the largest 15 economies in the world, what would you call us? We are an economic superpower, whether or not some of you like to admit it. I think you're the one that needs to dig your head out of your butt.

So, being one of the largest 15 economies in the world, what would you call us? We are an economic superpower, whether or not some of you like to admit it. I think you're the one that needs to dig your head out of your butt.

Not an "economic superpower".....by at least one order of magnitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...y_GDP_(nominal)

Well my little home body friend - when we actually start to spend this great super power money to change the world or to actually defend our shores - then give me a call - until then live in your pink glass house and smile and wave at the people who walk by on their way to work so they can support you.

Truth is we may have a decent economy - but we cannot even find some cash for a few extra MRI's - so when we do can you give me a call?

A super power should be able to do this - donchya' think?

Tell you what when this super power called Canada is taken for something a little more than "those nice polite folks from the cold" - then you can convince me.

Borg

Edited by Borg

Well my little home body friend

ECONOMIC superpower. I wasn't saying anything about military or any other type of power....and my province buys new MRIs all of the time...I'd imagine that your's does as well.

We have an economy of $1.6T CAD. That's no small number.

Most of the countries are either quite wealthy or at least have quite large economies. I would certainly say that they are.

G20 includes the EU....which includes smaller country's economies. I would say they are not.

The collapse of such smaller economies would have much less impact than the collapse of a true "economic superpower".

Well, your own CIA divides economies into categories of trillion dollar class and less than that. We're in the first category Canada is a member of the Group of 7, the Group of 8, and the Group of 20. The first two are made up of the most influential economies in the world and the other is made up the major economies in the world. Because there is no definition of 'economic superpower' there really is no definitive answer to this, but it seems that the evidence in fact doesn't show favour to you.

Well, your own CIA divides economies into categories of trillion dollar class and less than that. We're in the first category Canada is a member of the Group of 7, the Group of 8, and the Group of 20. The first two are made up of the most influential economies in the world and the other is made up the major economies in the world. Because there is no definition of 'economic superpower' there really is no definitive answer to this, but it seems that the evidence in fact doesn't show favour to you.

This is exactly what I'm talking about....you (and others) constantly use the references from a true superpower, economic or otherwise. Canada wouldn't even be in the G's were it not for the lobbying of President Gerald Ford (USA).

The answer is that Canada has a large economy, one order of magnitude less than the true economic superpowers.