But..But....How can this be?

We hear it often...."you cannot defeat a guerilla movement"....or..."There is no military solution" or my personal favourite...

No one has ever defeated a guerilla movement....

All this being said so that the war on terror will be turned into the bilateral inquiry and talks to end terrorism or some such nonsense.

If you cannot defeat terrorist and guerillas....someone should urgently tell the Sri Lankans.

In a statement issued on an LTTE website Sunday, he admitted, after a week of denials from the organization, that Tigers founder and leader Velupillai Prabhakaran had been killed in the final hours of battle last weekend. And he instructed Tamils everywhere to “restrain from harmful acts to themselves or anyone else in this hour of extreme grief.”

Then, in an interview with the BBC, he declared that “we have given up violence and agreed to enter a democratic process to achieve the rights for the Tamil determination of our people.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/...article1151087/

We hear it often...."you cannot defeat a guerilla movement"....or..."There is no military solution" or my personal favourite...

No one has ever defeated a guerilla movement....

All this being said so that the war on terror will be turned into the bilateral inquiry and talks to end terrorism or some such nonsense.

If you cannot defeat terrorist and guerillas....someone should urgently tell the Sri Lankans.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/...article1151087/

how is that black and white world of yours doing?

your iron fist must be pounding pretty hard on your computer desk right about now. you put all the vampires to shame with your thirst for blood.

didn't the nazi government declare some jews to be terrorist groups and/or guerilla groups? didn't they do the same to the ukrainians? how much did russia hold back while attacking afghanistan?

didn't the nazi government declare some jews to be terrorist groups and/or guerilla groups? didn't they do the same to the ukrainians? how much did russia hold back while attacking afghanistan?

I wouldn't know, I concede you are the expert concerning jews ....not sure how it's relevant, but a understand your sadness over the defeat of the Tamil terrorists...

Lets hope the worst is over and the violence has really stopped. But at what cost?

Sri Lanka war zone scene of devastation

May 24, 2009- Sri Lanka's former war zone is a wasteland, its earth scorched and pocked by craters. Cars and trucks lie overturned near bunkers beside clusters of battered tents.

Civilians who escaped the zone said they came under intense shelling from both the rebels and the government.

The government has denied firing heavy weapons into what had been a battlefield densely populated with civilians. But the helicopter tour the military gave U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and a group of journalists Saturday revealed widespread devastation.

After touring the area, Ban Ki-Moon said the trapped civilians must have undergone "most inhumane suffering."

According to private U.N. documents, at least 7,000 civilians were killed in the final months of fighting.

Looks like they've used the lesson that you seem to approve of, Dancer- The best way to deal with guerrilla warfare is to kill the hell out of everyone.

I wouldn't know, I concede you are the expert concerning jews ....not sure how it's relevant, but a understand your sadness over the defeat of the Tamil terrorists...

It only took dub a few sentances to mention the Jooooooooooooooos. Impressive.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Looks like they've used the lesson that you seem to approve of, Dancer- The best way to deal with guerrilla warfare is to kill the hell out of everyone.

Seems to me they were methodical in their approach in finishing off the Tigers. Civilian losses are inevidable given that the Tigers had no qualms about using civilians as shields.

Never the less, The tigers were one of the worst terrorist organizations around, responsible for the deaths of 10s of thousands of civilians, ethnic leansing, kidnappings, forced labour and press gangs for military service. What was done, had to be done.

Lets be thankful they are done.

Seems to me they were methodical in their approach in finishing off the Tigers. Civilian losses are inevidable given that the Tigers had no qualms about using civilians as shields.

Never the less, The tigers were one of the worst terrorist organizations around, responsible for the deaths of 10s of thousands of civilians, ethnic leansing, kidnappings, forced labour and press gangs for military service. What was done, had to be done.

Lets be thankful they are done.

Their love of the practice of terror, and their single minded pursuit of political and literal suicide is best examplified by their assassination of an Indian prime minister (if memory serves me). India being the only state who might have had an interest in supporting the Tamils against the China/Pakistan supported Colombo.

The pantomime of "liberal' forces who have never seen a "minority rebellion' - no matter how cruel and bloody - that they didn't like, attempting to push cease fire to give the Tigers breathing room to regroup was as disgusting as it was predictable. Colombo did not bend - and probably has defeated the Tigers for the time being.

Now in victory is of course the time for magnaminity - as the US knew in WWII - we'll see what the follow up will be like.

The tigers were one of the worst terrorist organizations around, responsible for the deaths of 10s of thousands of civilians

The governments done a pretty good job at it as well. Inhumane bombing with thousands of civilians in the war zone... kinda like shooting ants with a shotgun.

What was done, had to be done.

I bet thats what the Tamil Tigers say when they kill civilians too. But in official war parlance we use the nice clean words, "collateral damage".

Are they done? it now depends on how much the survivors are being helped, eh?

Otherwise, little Jaswinder with the bandy legs will grow up, having many regrets...

Edited by Sir Bandelot

The governments done a pretty good job at it as well. Inhumane bombing with thousands of civilians in the war zone... kinda like shooting ants with a shotgun.

I bet thats what the Tamil Tigers say when they kill civilians too. But in official war parlance we use the nice clean words, "collateral damage".

Are they done? it now depends on how much the survivors are being helped, eh?

Otherwise, little Jaswinder with the bandy legs will grow up, having many regrets...

Well let's hope the whoopin' was sufficient to last several generations in Tamil memory, eh? Wot wot?

i'm not sad for the tamil group. i don't support any group or organization that is okay with killing or terrorizing civilians in order to achieve a goal.

i am, however, sad that you're promoting a type of policy that has killed millions of innocent people. a type of policy that has failed a lot more than it has succeeded.

i'm not sad for the tamil group. i don't support any group or organization that is okay with killing or terrorizing civilians in order to achieve a goal.

i am, however, sad that you're promoting a type of policy that has killed millions of innocent people. a type of policy that has failed a lot more than it has succeeded.

It has only ever failed for lack of proper implementation and when applicable (in situations other than when the rebels were so butchered as to leave them powerless till assimilation) bad follow-up. An enormous number of successes are forgotten because it's generally viewed as unseemly to celebrate when a majority asserts its rights successfully. It's the cheer the underdog syndrome - we all view ourselves as underdogs so we blindly identify with other underdogs regardless of their methods or often insane ideologies.

But if we were to go through history we would find that the powerful were for the most part (and we are talking in the 99% range or higher) very successful in suppressing rebelions - were these rebellions righteous or, as was more often the case, inspired by evil.

Edited by Sulaco

Well let's hope the whoopin' was sufficient to last several generations in Tamil memory, eh? Wot wot?

We'll see if there are any Tamils left as the whoopin is likely to continue for many years.

How come the media has not been reporting the arson of a Budihist Temple and a restaurant belonging to Sri Lankans ? Coincidence I guess? It gives me pause to think that just maybe the Tigers might be involved? The bigger question is why the silence in our media. If this was a Jewish or Muslim establishment being burnt it would be front page news.

Edited by Muddy

How come the media has not been reporting the arson of a Budihist Temple and a restaurant belonging to Sri Lankans . Coincidence I guess? It gives me pause to think that just maybe the Tigers might be involved? The bigger question is why the silence in our media. If this was a Jewish or Muslim establishment being burnt it would be front page news.

Not familiar with the news item....Tigers overseas run protection rackets extorting money from their fellow sri lankans....much the same way the PLO, Hamas, IRA and the UDf did or does.

Not familiar with the news item....Tigers overseas run protection rackets extorting money from their fellow sri lankans....much the same way the PLO, Hamas, IRA and the UDf did or does.

That is my point Dancer. You have not heard about this . Why? Is it because just maybe these Tamil Tigers are not as peaceful and nice Canadians as the media has been portraying them?

You didn't mention that what happened in Sri Lanka is a civil war not a foreign country sending some half-hearted soldiers to defeat another country's opium-growing tribe majority. To the effect of foreign intervention, you have also forgotten that India had once sent their troops to Sri Lanka trying to intervene the war, but India was blamed by both side and had to withdraw its troops soon. The Indian PM who made the decision of intervention was assassinated by a female Tamil suicide bomber. It's kinda sarcastic for India was the Tamil's bigest supporter in the world then.

Just as in this forum, a Canadian who says "Canada is really a small country" is one thing, an American who says the same words is another thing. Why other nations should be different?:P

Nonetheless, I bet the things were not over yet if Sri Lanka government failed to work out a feasible political solution as soon as possible after its military victory.

Edited by xul

You didn't mention that what happened in Sri Lanka is a civil war not a foreign country sending some half-hearted soldiers to defeat another country's opium-growing tribe majority...

See US Expeditionary Forces in The Philippines...the insurgents lost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine-American_War

The way to destroy Violent terror groups is by using EXTREMELY overwhelming violence against them.........that is what the Sri Lanka's Army did...and crushed them once and for all.........same is happening in Pakistan now that finally the Pakistani Army is slaughtering these scumbag Taliban...now they want a peace deal.....lol! Sri Lanka'a Army is a shining example how to deal with terrorist's ...............kill em all!

Edited by wulf42

The way to destroy Violent terror groups is by using EXTREMELY overwhelming violence against them.........that is what the Sri Lanka's Army did...and crushed them once and for all

Well, not once for all yet. After every Tamil is dead maybe.