Will Canada and the U.S going to war

Are you serious? It would be a very short "war".

We just had a war - a bloodless economic one - your banks and institutions all collapsed and ours are standing...what - you did not know? Our guys kicked your asses because you have no disipline - honour or imagination ...our money boys take the subway and live like normal people - Your guys fly around in jets with gold toilet seats - who did you expect to win? The arrogant delluded idiots or our down to earth heros........we will be kind to the vanquished - all the nukes - all the money - all the threats - all the conspiracy - was to no avail - Our Christian soldiers - crusaded you jerks into submission - now you are like prisoners who taunt the jailer - shut up and behave - and here is a glass of wine and a cigar..we treat our prisoners well...by the way - send back Conrad Black - or there may be a dark day on the exchange - no not ours - YOURS...... :lol:

We just had a war - a bloodless economic one - your banks and institutions all collapsed and ours are standing...what - you did not know? Our guys kicked your asses because you have no disipline - honour or imagination ...our money boys take the subway and live like normal people - Your guys fly around in jets with gold toilet seats - who did you expect to win?

The "world" isn't waiting for your "normal guys" to recover. Besides, Canadians are terrible tippers! :lol:

I think it would be a draw.....you know we don't have space for 2 million prisoners....let alone the manpower to gaurd them all....besides i heard the white house just got a new paint job....

and you know you won't like our surrender terms.....were giving you Quebec, and northern New Brunswick....but were keeping the poutine recipe ....

and we'll throw in the NDP, Bloc, and green parties to boot.....

Are you serious? It would be a very short "war".

If the US went to war with Canada, it would be a short conventional war true, but no doubt a long and vicious unconventional one would follow closely on the heels of an American "Victory". And this time, with the insurgents next door and who look and sound just like you, making racial profiling a right bitch.

I doubt very much that the US and Canada would go to war over trade, resources however would be a whole other matter. Apart from oil and other mineral resources, Canada has an abundance of one commodity that the US is fast running out of, fresh potable water. So far Canada has been loath to increase bulk exports of fresh water anywhere, let alone into the US. If there is one commodity that the US would invade Canada for in immediate future, I'd say its water more then oil.

If the US went to war with Canada, it would be a short conventional war true, but no doubt a long and vicious unconventional one would follow closely on the heels of an American "Victory". And this time, with the insurgents next door and who look and sound just like you, making racial profiling a right bitch.

No need for that....just use the Gun Registry, which already runs on American database technology.

I doubt very much that the US and Canada would go to war over trade, resources however would be a whole other matter. Apart from oil and other mineral resources, Canada has an abundance of one commodity that the US is fast running out of, fresh potable water. So far Canada has been loath to increase bulk exports of fresh water anywhere, let alone into the US. If there is one commodity that the US would invade Canada for in immediate future, I'd say its water more then oil.

The US can draw down shared fresh water assets with impunity. No need to invade Canada. BTW, Canada imports plenty of petroleum distillates from the US of A.

Hockey sticks haven't done much to get The Cup back yet.....good luck with the war.

Well with the NHL, it seems that the US has all the Canadians playing for them. Or Russians. So it is a battle of Canada and Russia for the cup.

Army Guy

I think it would be a draw.....you know we don't have space for 2 million prisoners....let alone the manpower to gaurd them all....besides i heard the white house just got a new paint job....

Yeah we do. A remote part of the NWT would suffice. Air drop them in along with their birthday suit.

Sabre

So far Canada has been loath to increase bulk exports of fresh water anywhere, let alone into the US. If there is one commodity that the US would invade Canada for in immediate future, I'd say its water more then oil.

Indeed water would be the reason. If the taps could be shut somehow, California would be the first casualty. All the states north of them would take as much as they could first. Actually fresh water will be a deciding factor possibly in the next 50 years. Human population is exponentially rising now due to there being over 6 billion of us on this rock. With more people, more fresh water is needed so sustain that population.

We may not see it in this life time. But something is gonna break. I will say the nuclear option will be selectively used. Would be stupid to fight over water and nuke the other guys city that is surrounded by lots of fresh water. The spoils of war I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
It seem the US is going to go with"Buy American" first then think about trading with Canada. I understand the reasons behind it, the US is in a very bad situation and could ended up like Russia was back in the late '80's early "90's but they must honor or honour their treaties. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

The title of your thread is seriously misleading. As much as I decry trade wars young people are not leaving home to fight and maybe never come back. For the record, I do think that Canada should be an exception to American protectionism, given the pragmatic alignment of interests and deep and abiding connections between the countries.

• 3 weeks later...

Canada does not need the US as much as they need us. There'll always be a market for Canada's resources.

Canadian innovation and technology are limitless. Canada built the Avro Arrow.

Of course if the Americans were foolish enough to try and invade Canada, we'd teach them a lesson by winning hands down. We did in 1812, if they need to be reminded which of the two nations is really the most powerful every couple hundred years, so be it.

The only good thing about America if you ask me is NASCAR :lol:

Edited by the janitor

Canada does not need the US as much as they need us. There'll always be a market for Canada's resources.

Canadian innovation and technology are limitless. Canada built the Avro Arrow.

Cue Avro Arrow remorse....ve could have conquered zee world with zee Avro Arrow!

Of course if the Americans were foolish enough to try and invade Canada, we'd teach them a lesson by winning hands down.

The Americans already own Canada...no need to invade this time.

1. Canada doesn't need American investment.

You're right...Canada needed American and other foreign investment...in spades. Still does.

2. We didn't need the Arrow to conquer anything.

That's why it was canceled.

3. Without the technical expertise of Avro engineers, NASA's Apollo program never would've got off the ground, never mind making it to the moon.

Then it's very easy to figure out why the Arrow flopped. A change in venue can work wonders. BTW, without American assistance, the Arrow wouldn't have flown either.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

You're right...Canada needed American and other foreign investment...in spades. Still does.

That's why it was canceled.

Then it's very easy to figure out why the Arrow flopped. A change in venue can work wonders. BTW, without American assistance, the Arrow wouldn't have flown either.

Everything you're saying is absolute baloney.

Going back to the main issue...Canada could easily curtail trade with the United States and still find a huge market for our goods. There isn't a thing the United States could do about it -- up to and including being able to successfully invade Canada. Not saying it would ever happen. Both countries get along pretty well. But even hypothetically, it just isn't possible.

Edited by the janitor

You didn't fry a thing. I didn't see any counter argument there.

We've already been over this many times at MLW. If you need the Avro Arrow as a poster child for what could have been, go for it, but the record is clear....right up to project termination and prototype destruction. Other members of this forum have echoed the facts about what really happened, and that includes:

1) Wind tunnel testing at Langely AFB in Hampton VA (that's in the USA)

2) Development engines from a US manufacturer (P & W J75)

3) B-47 Stratojet loaner for Iroquois engine development (B-47's were not made in Canada)

4) Missile and fire control from the Americans

Hell, A V Roe had roots in the U.K., not Canada.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I never said here that I was broken up about the Arrow being cancelled. I just said it was an example of Canadian technology for its time. What I said in fact, was that we didn't need it. Does that sound like I'm broken up about it? Military projects get cancelled all the time.

You're right: MLW has covered the Arrow before. But if you want to keep yapping about it go ahead, I don't care. But you still haven't provided a counter argument for the topic at hand (hypothetical invasion of Canada) and why the Americans COULDN'T pull it off even if they wanted to. In fact you haven't in the last three posts. Three strikes, you're out -- I win! :P

I never said here that I was broken up about the Arrow being cancelled. I just said it was an example of Canadian technology for its time. What I said in fact, was that we didn't need it. Does that sound like I'm broken up about it? Military projects get cancelled all the time.

Then stop whining about the Arrow. If it makes you feel better, my wife loves her Blackberry! :lol:

You're right: MLW has covered the Arrow before. But if you want to keep yapping about it go ahead, I don't care. But you still haven't provided a counter argument for the topic at hand (hypothetical invasion of Canada) and why the Americans COULDN'T pull it off even if they wanted to. In fact you haven't in the last three posts. Three strikes, you're out -- I win! :P

Errr...you whined about the Arrow.....not I. The US (and other foreign investment capital) invaded Canada a long time ago, by request. Be afraid...be very afraid.