Shaw wins three CTV stations

http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servle...y/Business/home

The feuding between Canada's major television networks and its big cable companies reached a new level yesterday when Shaw Communications Inc. offered to buy three stations CTV said it must close after the broadcaster could not find a buyer - even for a dollar.

The $3 offer, which came late in the day from Shaw, was quickly accepted by CTV after the network told federal regulators this week that it planned to shut the stations in Windsor and Wingham, Ont., and Brandon, Man., because they could not make a profit.

Guess we'll find if CTV was indeed crying poor and whether these stations can be run at a profit.

Guess we'll find if CTV was indeed crying poor and whether these stations can be run at a profit.
Guess we'll find if the CRTC will block the purchase.

----

In the 21st century, with existing technology, the CRTC makes no sense at all. The CRTC is like a regulator of horse sellers in 1928.

If I were Harper, I would abolish the CRTC and fire all of the people working there. Imagine.

If I were Harper, I would abolish the CRTC and fire all of the people working there. Imagine.

Yes, imagine how that would go over when all Canadian programming disappears. Because we live beside the largest media market in the world, someone needs to at least try to protect our airwaves.

Guess we'll find if the CRTC will block the purchase.

Doubt it.

In the 21st century, with existing technology, the CRTC makes no sense at all. The CRTC is like a regulator of horse sellers in 1928.

And end Canadian content, CBC, ownership rules, etc?

Imagine that the Tories would have no seats in Quebec and probably would get a thrashing in many other areas as well.

And end Canadian content, CBC, ownership rules, etc?
Uh, no.

Just abolish the CRTC.

Yes, imagine how that would go over when all Canadian programming disappears. Because we live beside the largest media market in the world, someone needs to at least try to protect our airwaves.
In a world of the Internet, and satellites, do you mean that the Canadian federal government should imitate the People's Republic of China and try to prevent us from contacting foreigners? Smallc, do you think the federal government should control your contacts with foreigners?

Modern satellite technology aside, should the federal government protect us from changes - in the outside world, or in general?

Edited by August1991

In a world of the Internet, and satellites, do you mean that the Canadian federal government should imitate the People's Republic of China and try to prevent us from contacting foreigners?

That's not what the CRTC does. Do you think that we should give up every shred of Canadian identity?

Uh, no.

Just abolish the CRTC.

And enforce Canadian content directly at the ministerial level as well as ownership? At the moment, those are areas the CRTC holds sway over. It also has sway over how the CBC is funded too.

So, what do you really mean?

My TV provider is StarChoice and I pay over one hundred $$ per month and I have had so far 6 channels cut off of my subscription with them. First last summer, they cut the Ontario govt, (lack of ratings?) I was told, then 3 A-Channels are cut, and I noticed the pass few days CNN is gone and the TLC !!!! Any one here have EX-pressu? I going to call Alberta and ask what in hell is going on and if they can't give me back my channels then reduce the monthly BILL!!

• 1 year later...
http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servle...y/Business/home
The feuding between Canada's major television networks and its big cable companies reached a new level yesterday when Shaw Communications Inc. offered to buy three stations CTV said it must close after the broadcaster could not find a buyer - even for a dollar.

The $3 offer, which came late in the day from Shaw, was quickly accepted by CTV after the network told federal regulators this week that it planned to shut the stations in Windsor and Wingham, Ont., and Brandon, Man., because they could not make a profit.

considering that since the value-for-signal debate began, broadcasters such as CTV and Global have been gobbled up by the very distributors they were fighting... along comes this weeks Federal Court Ruling... surely to end up before the Supreme Court?

Get ready to pay more for cable/satellite TV

The Federal Court of Appeal has cleared the way for broadcasters to charge cable and satellite providers for carrying their programs.

The CRTC had asked the court to rule on whether it had the right to establish a regime whereby broadcasters could attach a value to their signals.

In a 2-1 ruling released today, the court said yes.

Currently, cable and satellite companies carry network TV programming without paying for it.

Now, private broadcasters such as CTV and Global can begin negotiations with cable and satellite companies to determine rates.

The cable and satellite companies have warned that the extra costs will be passed on to consumers.

The Conservative government had been cool to the idea of value for signal because of that potential added cost for Canadian subscribers.

The private broadcasters had warned repeatedly that without the extra funds, they would have to shut down more local stations and cut back on Canadian productions.

considering that since the value-for-signal debate began, broadcasters such as CTV and Global have been gobbled up by the very distributors they were fighting... along comes this weeks Federal Court Ruling... surely to end up before the Supreme Court?

Get ready to pay more for cable/satellite TV

It's a double edged sword that hangs over each parties head. On one hand the cable companies want those signals, on the other hand the broadcasters want the audience that the cable companies provide them with.

Without the audience the rates broadcasters charge advertisers will fall....but how many would cancel their cable/satellite accounts over not getting a local signal, that they can get free anyway with an antennae purchased cheaply at any electronic store?

It's a double edged sword that hangs over each parties head. On one hand the cable companies want those signals, on the other hand the broadcasters want the audience that the cable companies provide them with.

Without the audience the rates broadcasters charge advertisers will fall....but how many would cancel their cable/satellite accounts over not getting a local signal, that they can get free anyway with an antennae purchased cheaply at any electronic store?

Local stations might simply stop broadcasting OTA completely.

They might....and so what? The headache of getting a new CRT||C mandate will make more than a few not considr that idea..
Morris, they would turn into cable TV or satellite channels. And if they offered their content through the Internet, but it was picked up on cable, in theory they would be exempt from content regulations. I dunno.

Technology is obviously much faster than the CRTC.

I suspect that we may something similar in education and even health care where technology will move faster than unions.

I saw the title and read it as "Shwa wins three CTV stations". :lol:

Global nearly pulled the plug on their affiliate in my community in 2009 when they were in dire straits. I don't know if they'd have gone "dead air" or acted as a repeater for Vancouver programming. I imagine they'd have done the latter if it had been possible to keep their broadcast license without spending anything on local content.

If they had pulled the plug, I'm not sure it would have been that great a loss. Their local content is so scant that I don't think people would miss it if it was gone. This community has grown immensely in the last couple of decades, and yet the local broadcaster isn't able to maintain the presence they used to. At this point there are some local paper publications that do a better job, and the handiest source of local news is an independently run website that has a couple of reporters. They do a surprisingly good and thorough job considering the resources they have.

-k