"It wasn't meant to be a big bomb."

betsy

But it blew up in his face anyway.

"Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton was crowned Miss USA on Sunday, but the big story to come out of the normally politics-free telecast was Miss California's comments regarding gay marriage.

When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California competition, tells FOXNews.com that he was "saddened" by Prejean's statement.

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517137,00.html

"After the show ended, Hilton vehemently ranted about Prejean in a video blog announcing that because she had given the "worst answer in beauty pageant history" she lost. We do remember Miss South Carolina Teen USA butchering a question about finding Iraq on a map, though. Remember that?

"She lost not because she doesn't believe in gay marriage, Miss California lost because she's a dumb bitch," Hilton said in his angry diatribe of a vlog. "If that girl would have won Miss USA, I would have gone up on stage, I shit you not... snatched that tiara off her head and run out the door."

Prejean used MSNBC and NBC's Today show to explain her side of the gay-straight coin.

"I didn't give the answer that he [Hilton] would have wanted me to give," Prejean told MSNBC. "I said (to myself), 'You know what, I'm laying it out on the table, this is who I am and this is what I believe in and I'm going to stand by what I believe.'" She added that she has garnered mainly support from the public and amassed 4,000 friend requests on Facebook. Because, you know, that's the best form of support.

Hilton, an openly gay man, went on Larry King Live Monday night to explain why he asked the question.

"I was given this opportunity on this national platform to ask a question that I thought was relevant. And given the recent setbacks and advances that we've made in the fight for gay marriage I thought it was a very important question - for me specifically to ask," Hilton explained to Larry King.

"It wasn't meant to be a big bomb, and I don't think it was that hard of a question either."

Perez Hilton, a guy I've never heard of was - according to him - "given this opportunity on this national platform to ask a question that (he) thought was relevant. And given the recent setbacks and advances that they've made in the fight for gay marriage (he) thought it was a very important question for him to ask."

And he blew it!

Yes, it wasn't a hard question. Obviously Miss California didn't think so either....she had a very good response that not only made her stand up to what she believed in....but at the same time, be diplomatic in saying it.

Perez should've prepared himself for an answer he didn't want to hear....whether he likes it or not, there are people who doesn't share his belief. Instead of being gracious about his disappointment with her response, Perez came out looking pathetically so full of himself, idiotic and vindictive.

Edited by betsy

Anyway, I just found out who this Perez Hilton is: a gossip journalist who thrives on controversial stuff. Another media gay described him as a "fame whore." So I guess asking this no-win question to the hapless Miss California was just a way for Perez to be in the limelight.

And I fell for it. brother.... :lol:

I have to give the girl credit where it is due - she answered as she believed - and in today's politically correct society - that takes a fair amount of courage.

Good on her.

As for the dimwit asking the question - he proved the young lady had far more class than he did

Borg

Oh come on! It was an airhead answer! But then, what else would one expect at a beauty pageant?

The hilarious part is that it was likely as completely disingenuous as Hiltons insistence that it wasn't a bomb. So sad to misread the most current, event-specific recipe for (Mom and) apple pie. So very sad.

Oh come on! It was an airhead answer! But then, what else would one expect at a beauty pageant?

The hilarious part is that it was likely as completely disingenuous as Hiltons insistence that it wasn't a bomb. So sad to misread the most current, event-specific recipe for (Mom and) apple pie. So very sad.

Molly dear - I think for one to stand up and speak like that is something she should be proud of - you belittle her and yet you do not know her

How do you know she is an airhead?

Borg

Of course it was a bomb! He knew it and he used her!

The hilarious part is when I envision Perez Hilton shrieking and having a fit while spewing his vile....man, he lost it! :lol:

I agree with Borg. Kudos to Miss California for standing up to her principles even when she knew she was going to detonate that bomb!

That wasn't an airhead answer.

He asked her opinion, and she gave it to him.

You think her answer was disengenuous? I doubt it. I think most of these beauty pageant girls come from traditionalist families. (Because who else would get their daughter into the beauty pageant business?) She later said of her response: "It's not about being politically correct. For me it was being biblically correct."

For Perez Hilton to say he'd have grabbed the tiara off her head if she won, or for the director of the Miss California pageant to feel that her answer reflected badly on the pageant is retarded. She has nothing at all to be ashamed of. Hilton, on the other hand, ...I think he would be embarrassed, if it were even possible for a guy who makes a living by spreading lurid rumors about celebrity to feel embarrassment.

-k

O-kie fine. I'll bow to majority opinion.

It was a wise and completely honest opinion, and true treacly-sweetness, devoutness, and patriotism along with stunning, and unadorned good looks are all it took to become 'Miss California'. There is no cynicism nor bottom-of-the-barrel competitiveness in the nicey-nicey beauty pageant biz, and the selection of Perez Hilton to be a judge was just a rare, inexplicable error in judgement, and was in no way intended to drop any bombshells to bring a higher profile to the event.

Just curious why you don't think her answer was genuine.

Do you really think there's a lot of liberal, broad-minded people who go into the beauty-pageant business in the first place?

Her all-about-the-Bible attitude strikes me as exactly the sort of thing that beauty-pageant people would think. (it's what always makes it so shocking when the photos of the contestants licking sambuca off of their roommates' breasts come out.)

-k

If people are asked a question, they should be allowed to express their opinion, which she did. Just because the law recognizes gay marriage, or just because there are gays living in your neghbourhood doesn't mean you have to like it or agree with their lifestyle. As long as they mind their business and keep it provate, I have no qualms but that doesn't mean I like it, or support it politically.

So, good for her, she did well. The gay guy just showed what an ass he is by taking a hissy fit. Hey, don't ask the question "Do you believe in... " if there's only one acceptable answer. Those are beliefs.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Kimmy.. I believe a lot of _extremely_ cynical people take part in beauty pageants on that sort of level. It's not an industry for the innocent.

If this was the the West Dog Lake Community Sweetheart pageant, I'd be happy to accept that it was a perfectly honest answer, and heaven knows it may even be one in this case... but once past the local level, answers to possible questions are more likely as groomed and vetted as a campaign address.

The target audience is the group that is not likely so liberal. The participants, on the whole, are merely shallow, and playing to that target sensibility.

Sorry, but I figure that business is pretty much on a par with professional wrestling. That cheesy; that insincere. It's a fairly high-stakes game of image, not substance.