Calgary tops 21 cities in new report

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/090407/cana..._report_calgary

"Calgary's continued domination is currently under threat, as weaker energy prices and tighter credit conditions have slowed oil and gas activity in the province of Alberta. This is likely to be reflected, as data from current conditions becomes available," indicates the report.

Calgary was followed by Dallas and Hong Kong.

Toronto, Boston, London and New York tied for fourth place.

It will be curious in light of the economy to see if Calgary will be able to hold its position.

My thinking is that it might.

Wish I could see where Edmonton ranks in this study. I wonder what the difference is.

• 1 year later...

This "top cities" or "top countries" lists come out from time to time. What exactly this means - who knows....

For example:

Why do they pick these factors, exactly ? And how do they weight them ?

All they need to do is look at the weather. Will it snow in June? That is one factor I'd be weighing. I mean, no wonder they have cheap energy prices - they have to heat the place in late spring!

This "top cities" or "top countries" lists come out from time to time. What exactly this means - who knows....

For example:

Why do they pick these factors, exactly ? And how do they weight them ?

there was another top cities list last week that had Calgary rated third in Canada behind Victoria and Saskatoon...

in my opinion living In Calgary isn't anything special there are a number of cities I'd rather be...

Edited by wyly

there was another top cities list last week that had Calgary rated third in Canada behind Victoria and Saskatoon...

in my opinion living In Calgary isn't anything special there are a number of cities I'd rather be...

Here's another list that came out:

1. Kelowna BC

2. Gander NFLD

3. Belleville ON

4. Istanbul Turkey

5. Gerlach Nevada

This is a list of places I thought of.

Here's another list that came out:

1. Kelowna BC

2. Gander NFLD

3. Belleville ON

4. Istanbul Turkey

5. Gerlach Nevada

This is a list of places I thought of.

:lol::lol::lol:

But seriously - Belleville?? You have Picton just across the Bay. I mean Belleville, the small town with some big city traffic at 4 PM.

These studies are useful only to people who wish to feel pride in the high ranking of their city. Boring patriotism of the exceedingly provincial variety.

My city was recently named one of the 7 "smartest" cities in Canada...ie, full of the most intelligent people per capita, and so on.

Yawn.

it's trivial info to fill the blank spots in Newspaper on slow news days...I suppose it could be handy for planning a vacation or if you wanted to move to another city...

:lol::lol::lol:

But seriously - Belleville?? You have Picton just across the Bay. I mean Belleville, the small town with some big city traffic at 4 PM.

Belleville is called "The Friendly City", which as near as I can figure was named such to dissuade the large number of random assaults that occur there. I grew up in Belleville.

I recently went on a trip to a variety of big cities, Canada and US for work. Coming back to Calgary was somewhat refreshing. While the city has grown substantially, I still enjoy the feel of the city.

Not to mention getting on my bike and into the Rockies was a great feeling after some time away in smokier, smellier cities.

Calgary is fresh.

That said, it's not for everyone. It lacks culture, lacks good food. It's a boring place, clears out at 5pm. Though it is getting better, it's got along way to go.

But in terms of a place to raise a family, Calgary is #1 in my books.

you credit calgary for the Rockies they're an hour away...

Does Toronto not have an international airport then? That's an hour away in rush hour. Damn, what a third rate city, no international airport? Ha.

Bike trails in K-country are less than 45 mins from my house. Closer than Pearson to say East end Toronto. So nice try. I will credit Calgary for the Rockies.

Does Toronto not have an international airport then? That's an hour away in rush hour. Damn, what a third rate city, no international airport? Ha.

Bike trails in K-country are less than 45 mins from my house. Closer than Pearson to say East end Toronto. So nice try. I will credit Calgary for the Rockies.

delusional...Airdrie is 15 minutes from my house is Airdire part of Calgary ,no...Cochrane is 15 minutes from my home do we credit Calgary for that?... Okotoks is 45 minutes from my house part of Calgary? no...Red Deer is an hour away maybe I could credit calgary for that....Calgary is it's own municipality it does not stretch to the Rockies...Cochrane can lay claim to the Rockies being in the municipality of Rockyview...

Edited by wyly

Delusional? Pearson International is in Mississauga... so using your logic, I'm still right. Toronto doesn't have an international airport. How sad.

The proximity to the rockies is a key quality of life driver in Calgary, regardless if it's within some kind of census boundary or whatever. Just as Pearson is a key aspect of Toronto's economy and quality of life. Even though it's in a completely seperately administered city.

Delusional? Pearson International is in Mississauga... so using your logic, I'm still right. Toronto doesn't have an international airport. How sad.

The proximity to the rockies is a key quality of life driver in Calgary, regardless if it's within some kind of census boundary or whatever. Just as Pearson is a key aspect of Toronto's economy and quality of life. Even though it's in a completely seperately administered city.

I hear Niagara Falls is only an hour and bit from T.O. about the same time for me to get to Canmore, so do we credit T.O. for the Falls?

Something within 1 hour is plenty close enough to be a positive attribute for the city. Everytime I went to visit my friend in Calgary, we'd go to the Rockies and do some hiking. It's not like a 1 hour drive is a barrier.

In Vancouver, basically everything along the whole Sea to Sky corridor to Whistler and beyond adds to what a Vancouverite can do on any given weekend, which is why Vancouver is an amazing place to live. Same with Seattle, countless peaks of the Cascade range within 1-3 hours.

I can't stand living in a city that doesn't have mountains within a 3 hour or so drive. 3+ hours is really when something becomes too far to be relevant for everyday life in a given city, in my opinion.

I hear Niagara Falls is only an hour and bit from T.O. about the same time for me to get to Canmore, so do we credit T.O. for the Falls?

Sure. Niagara Falls is a dumpy trash town, but if you want to credit Toronto with it, sure.

Falls, pretty stuff. I'll take the Rockies with a lifetime of outdoor opportunity over a 5 minute viewing of the falls or a 20 minute ride on the Maid of the Mist. :)

But yes, I'll give Niagara Falls to Toronto. Though I really don't think that adds any quality of life.

Algonquin is too far for me to count that, but if it was counted, then we'd be talking.

• 5 months later...