North Korea Still Can't get a rocket up!

wulf42

The launch was a success. The rocket, due to its being launched eastward (Earth's rotation added to the delta-V), passed over Japan, again. NORAD claims no payload entered orbit. The stages dropped into the Sea of Japan and the Pacific Ocean.

Trouble with 'civilian'* launches out of N. Korea is that they look exactly like a First Strike on Japan. North Korea also lacks a global tracking system so they really don't know if their payloads enter orbit or not. So the point behind such a program seems lost on me unless it is, infact, an ICBM test launch.

* North Korea's 'space' program is run by the military.

These guys will never be a serious threat...it seems they have yet to get a simple rocket in the air.....lol

It looks like certain leading Republicans take it seriously.

Newt: I would've disabled missile

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/20903.html

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich told “Fox News Sunday” that he would have disabled the long-range missile before North Korea launched it, saying too many people “do not appreciate the scale of the threat that is evolving on the planet.”

Looks like Gingrich wants to go to war with Korea.

It would be like Cuba launching a 'payload' into what they would describe a polar orbit, having the rocket pass over the Eastern Seaboard during launch. Think that'd piss the Yanks off?

:lol:

Japan has a right to be worried.

N Korea is still a long way from a serious threat.....they will have to get all 3 stages of the rocket to work and then

mass produce them and with the coming sanctions that might be difficult!

Newt was too young to be drafted in 1950. Try again, and use more precision in your attack....sloppy.

Newt was born on June 17, 1943, which made him prime draft material for the Vietnam War, funny how he missed out on that little shindig, especially considering he came from a military family. I guess writing his dissertation paper "Belgian Education policy in Africa" for his 1971 Phd. in Modern European History was more important than defending the free world from creeping Communism.

Newt was born on June 17, 1943, which made him prime draft material for the Vietnam War, funny how he missed out on that little shindig, especially considering he came from a military family. I guess writing his dissertation paper "Belgian Education policy in Africa" for his 1971 Phd. in Modern European History was more important than defending the free world from creeping Communism.

Many people "missed out" on the Vietnam War...it's called a draft lottery number for a reason. So what?

Many people "missed out" on the Vietnam War...it's called a draft lottery number for a reason. So what?

As I recall, during the eight years of the Clinton Administration, many of Newt's supporters held it against Clinton for "dodging" Vietnam and pursuing an education instead. But then again, while Newt was chasing after Clinton for getting a BJ in the Oval Office, Newt himself was getting them in the Senate under ground parking lot. Seems the Newts of this world believe in do as I say, not as I do. Or to put it another way, those who live in glass houses........

As I recall, during the eight years of the Clinton Administration, many of Newt's supporters held it against Clinton for "dodging" Vietnam and pursuing an education instead. But then again, while Newt was chasing after Clinton for getting a BJ in the Oval Office, Newt himself was getting them in the Senate under ground parking lot. Seems the Newts of this world believe in do as I say, not as I do. Or to put it another way, those who live in glass houses........

Clinton was impeached...Newt was not.

Clinton was impeached...Newt was not.

True, but then Newt never was the POTUS was he? And he did face 84 ethics charges, which included claiming tax-exempt status for a college course run for political purposes, for which the House Ethics Committee leveled a USD300,000 sanction against him after he finally pleaded guilty.

Also going after Clinton turned into a pyretic victory for both Newt and the House Republicans who paid a heavy price, losing five seats in the House for trying to remove Clinton from office, a move which was highly unpopular with the American voters. He also faced two revolts from his own caucus who blamed him for the loses and in the end was forced to step down as speaker or be ousted by his own people.

Anyways, as much fun as it is dragging you over the coals about Newt, its not really on topic is it?

True, but then Newt never was the POTUS was he? And he did face 84 ethics charges, which included claiming tax-exempt status for a college course run for political purposes, for which the House Ethics Committee leveled a USD300,000 sanction against him after he finally pleaded guilty.

House Speakers may also be impeached...but he wasn't.

Anyways, as much fun as it is dragging you over the coals about Newt, its not really on topic is it?

You can thank another member for that.

Nope, but he was sanctioned and forced to step down, which is as good as being impeached.

I don't think President Clinton would agree with that.

Then shall we get back on topic?

What's the hurry? "Newt" is a private citizen who apparently still invites your and others attention from across the border. Amazing.

N Korea is still a long way from a serious threat.....they will have to get all 3 stages of the rocket to work and then

mass produce them and with the coming sanctions that might be difficult!

Whether or not they are or have the potential to become a serious threat is rather moot, as long as they dally about with nukes and missiles, then they will remain a favorite whipping boy for the hawks of the western world. Actually I figure the one thing the hawks really do not want is for either North Korea or Iran to stop playing with fire, cause if they do, then the whole cause celeb of the hawks would be rendered dead in the water.

Edited by Sabre Rider

..... Actually I figure the one thing the hawks really do not want is for either North Korea or Iran to stop playing with fire, cause if they do, then the whole cause celeb of the hawks would be rendered dead in the water.

Then the "doves" can get back to beating war drums for "human rights". LOL!

No, but perhaps we could concentrate our time and resources on the very real problems both our respective nations have at home instead of worrying about "what ifs".

C'mon....what about all that do gooding in Darfur...or Rwanda...or Congo....or Somalia....or Kosovo. Ahhh...those were the days....killing for human rights.

C'mon....what about all that do gooding in Darfur...or Rwanda...or Congo....or Somalia....or Kosovo. Ahhh...those were the days....killing for human rights.

Having done a UN Peace Keeping tour, I can honestly say you know not of which you speak. However, I have yet to make up my mind as to whether you are just a reactionary or a reactionary fool. Time will tell I guess.

Having done a UN Peace Keeping tour, I can honestly say you know not of which you speak. However, I have yet to make up my mind as to whether you are just a reactionary or a reactionary fool. Time will tell I guess.

I don't think it really matters, because the same can be said of anyone who believes they are on a "UN Peace Keeping" tour. Time has has already told us the answer.

Our good friends in the Atomic Science Club chime in on the DPRK's orbital ambitions:

Some have said that North Korea is undertaking an intercontinental ballistic missile test disguised as a satellite launch. While a successful satellite launch would demonstrate the mastery of some missile technologies, it wouldn't necessarily demonstrate the ability to launch a heavy payload over a long distance. For example, the Iranian Safir-2 launcher that placed a small satellite in orbit in February probably would have a range of about 4,000 kilometers with a 1-ton payload (about the weight of a first-generation nuclear warhead)--far shorter than intercontinental range.

http://www.thebulletin.org/web-edition/fea...-launch-vehicle

Edited by bush_cheney2004