Conservatives give grant to conservative magazine

You have evidence that Liberals try to fan the flames of separation in Quebec? That they proposed a firewall from Canada?

Do you really want to get into the past statements and associations of some of your leaders prior to their time in Ottawa? In fact, I believe Stephan Dion actually WAS a separatist at once point, and so was Trudeau.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really want to get into the past statements and associations of some of your leaders prior to their time in Ottawa? In fact, I believe Stephan Dion actually WAS a separatist at once point, and so was Trudeau.

So it is your contention that Harper is a staunch federalist now?

Yes, it does. It has given a format for their views a few times.

http://www.reportmagazine.ca/web/index.php...a/web/index.php

They fan the flames whenever they can.

I read the article. Actually, waldo has provided the link already. I did not see any fanning the flames. Just a low level analysis of the political situation in Canada in regard to the Liberal - NDP - BQ coalition. May be with some mistakes.

Ironically to you, waldo and Mr. Akin, the conclusion in the article is that the Western separation is not politically probable, i.e. not worth the efforts.

No appeals to separate, no instructions, no collecting money for the separatists. I still cannot see how The Report practically supports separatists.

I read the article. Actually, waldo has provided the link already. I did not see any fanning the flames. Just a low level analysis of the political situation in Canada in regard to the Liberal - NDP - BQ coalition. May be with some mistakes.

I'm not surprised you don't see it fanning the flames. Their trumpeting of disputes polls in 2005 on separation certainly makes their leanings known..

Ironically to you, waldo and Mr. Akin, the conclusion in the article is that the Western separation is not politically probable, i.e. not worth the efforts.

No appeals to separate, no instructions, no collecting money for the separatists. I still cannot see how The Report practically supports separatists.

They support it by fanning the flames and trumping up polls.

jdobbin outperformed himself. There is only about 0.1% of truth in his post. This is a classical example of goebbelsian (liberal) propaganda.

Bad job, jdobbin!

yours is a classic example of failing to flush out your 99.99% falsehood claim... perhaps not Goebbels worthy - but definitely Baghdad Bob would offer you a thumbs up.

Conservatives give grant to conservative magazine

REPORT Magazine is proud to bill itself as "Western Canada's Conservative Voice" and today, Canada's government, on behalf of all taxpayers, were pleased to give "Canada's Conservative Voice" a grant of $27,124.

REPORT Magazine's cover story this month is about Western Canadian separatism and Western Canadian anger at the rest of Canada for letting all that coalition nonsense happen.

""If ...the Conservatives bend over to win central Canadian support, then the only option Westerners have, given that all other options have been tried and failed, [would be] independence," a Lethbridge College political scientists tells REPORT.

Now, ahem, given my professional occupation, I'm all for any government helping out journalism endeavours, but I can't recall the last time any federal government gave a grant to a Quebec magazine that published sympathetic separatist articles.

waldo, there is false in my claim?

The Conservative government gives grants to hundreds of Canadian magazines (if counted as individual recepients). Many of them (dozens and dozens) are from Quebec. Many of the magazines are liberal, some are conservative.

I cannot review all recepients of the government grants (there are probably over a thousand magazines), but definitely at least some of them do write about separatism. E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'actualit%C3%A9 http://www.refletdesociete.com/Reflet-de-Societe.html

By the way, writing about a separatism is not a crime in Canada. Does The Report promote something unconstitutional?

jdobbin took only one magazine that appeared to stand on conservative point of view and presented this as a case of the government bias or something like that. jdobbin deliberately omitted about a thousand of other recepients. This is a pure distortion of the truth.

There is also a spin in you reference.

read it again - I didn't state your claim was false... or true. You stated a post had 0.1% truth in it, yet didn't follow-up to indicate where the 99.9% falsehoods lie - you're lucky I didn't call Godwin's law with your Goebell's reference. :lol:

the optics are there... Conservative government offers direct monetary support (whatever the amount) to a self pronounced "Western Canada's Conservative Voice" magazine. You could make this all a bit academic ... if you could show within that large grouping of magazines you linked to... Conservative government support for a magazine with a pronounced alternative political stripe - one other than Conservative. Can you do that?

I finished by adding a link to a David Akin commentary... and quoted from it, again, as below:

Now, ahem, given my professional occupation, I'm all for any government helping out journalism endeavours, but I can't recall the last time any federal government gave a grant to a Quebec magazine that published sympathetic separatist articles.

Boy Jdobbin, I have to congratulate you in coming up with a statement which is even stupider than most of what dross you print. Harper hates Canada.

He certainly hates Canadian institutions. He's become our Richard Nixon and has proven since coming to office that he has no desire to govern, but instead to just tear down existing government structure. (The exact opposite of a Tory by the way)

He's scrapping those he can, and suing those he can't.

Hate is a fair assumption.

jdobbin outperformed himself. There is only about 0.1% of truth in his post. This is a classical example of goebbelsian (liberal) propaganda.

Bad job, jdobbin!

Well, of course one such as dobbin tends to relish the latest and most provocative gossip-sensationalism about any other political party when one professes blind loyalty to his cause and nothing but disdain for those of a different political party.

Ignoring in total the other side of the equation, such as:

http://www.cfrb.com/node/901388

The dastardly Conservatives and their biased magazines

In fairness to David, he may not know that this funding flows freely from government's of all stripes. I've worked in Canada's arts industry, of which most magazine believe they belong and I've seen the programs first hand. While those in the industry will always tell you there isn't enough government money, the feds spend plenty on Canadian magazines and it isn't limited to $27,124 in funding to a group of Alberta's conservatives.

Consider this line from the website of the fantastically left wing This Magazine, a magazine that just might consider Jack Layton a right winger

"This Magazine receives financial support from the Canada Council for the Arts and the Ontario Arts Council. We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Publication Assistance Program and the Canada Magazine Fund. "

Count ‘em, four different types of funding from government, three of them from the feds.

The Walrus Magazine, another publication hardly friendly to the Conservatives or conservatism, was able to grab $110,522 from the Canadian Magazine Fund. If I was Report Magazine, I might be a little miffed that I didn't get more money, I mean even Urban Male Magazine got more money than they did.

As for worries that the feds are funding a publication that supports Western separatism but they would never give money to a publication that spoke favourably of Quebec separatism. We've all been funding Radio-Canada for decades, a place Pierre Trudeau was sure was filled with separatists, and the magazines, don't be too sure, maybe take a close look at that long list of publications.

The "Urban Male Magazine"?

`

Well, of course one such as dobbin tends to relish the latest and most provocative gossip-sensationalism about any other political party when one professes blind loyalty to his cause and nothing but disdain for those of a different political party.

I think blind loyalty and disdain runs up some other poster's alley, don't cha think? The Tory cheerleading goes as far as supporting western separation?

I think blind loyalty and disdain runs up some other poster's alley, don't cha think? The Tory cheerleading goes as far as supporting western separation?

No, dobbin. Wrong again. Where I come from in the West all of the Tories I am familiar with are cheerleaders and support wholeheartedly Quebec separation.

`

No, the hate is in the opposite direction in that case.

How come there was no National manufacturing policy? How come there was no NEP regarding Quebec's hydro. Face it the Liberals hate Western Canada, and any real western Canadian wouldn't vote for them based on their disdain for the west.

How come there was no National manufacturing policy? How come there was no NEP regarding Quebec's hydro.

Because the money was needed in the east and was available in the West. Yes, the NEP was probably a bad idea, but I have severe doubts that it was a hateful attack on Western Canada.

Liberals who hate the West, you mean. Maybe you'd like to also point out how often the Liberal Party has criticized Quebec based media for interviewing - or hell, even openly sympathizing with separatism. Or the last time anyone in the Liberal Party suggested that media in Quebec which interview separatist should get no government grants.

Right. Liberals hate the West like the West hates Canada.

Grow up.

Hypocrisy is indefensible. Even less so with such a childish retort.

The logical counterpoint here is having the federal government offer near 30 bones to Le Québécois. You'd be incensed if that happened. But it's all well and good when a bunch of westerners shout: "Burn Canada"!

No, dobbin. Wrong again. Where I come from in the West all of the Tories I am familiar with are cheerleaders and support wholeheartedly Quebec separation.

`

Equally "treasonous". Anyone who makes an argument in favour of dismantling this country is against Canada. Those who wish for Quebec's separation are working towards the death of a country.

I’m all in favour of debate, but threats merely demonstrate the weakness in one’s underlying argument. Separatist arguments are the mark of a weak mind.

Ignoring in total the other side of the equation, such as:

Consider this line from the website of the fantastically left wing This Magazine, a magazine that just might consider Jack Layton a right winger

The Walrus Magazine, another publication hardly friendly to the Conservatives or conservatism

oh really!

- did the Harper Conservative government issue a press release to announce funding for "This Magazine"... or for "The Walrus"... or for any of the other magazines funded?

- have any Harper Conservative government Ministers come forward to announce funding for "This Magazine"... or for "The Walrus"... or for any of the other magazines funded?

The Government of Canada Supports REPORT Magazine

apparently... there must be something about Report Magazine that would substantiate a Harper Conservative government press release and bring forward James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, and Rona Ambrose, Minister of Labour. What might that be? I wonder how the respective highlighted magazines label themselves.....

Report Magazine: Western Canada's Conservative Voice

This Magazine: This Magazine is the leading alternative Canadian magazine of politics, pop culture, and the arts

The Walrus: straightforward mandate: to be a Canadian general-interest magazine with an international outlook.

what could it be? What could it be?

The Walrus Magazine, another publication hardly friendly to the Conservatives or conservatism

oh really!

- did the Harper Conservative government issue a press release to announce funding for "This Magazine"... or for "The Walrus"... or for any of the other magazines funded?

- have any Harper Conservative government Ministers come forward to announce funding for "This Magazine"... or for "The Walrus"... or for any of the other magazines funded?

The Government of Canada Supports REPORT Magazine

apparently... there must be something about Report Magazine that would substantiate a Harper Conservative government press release and bring forward James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, and Rona Ambrose, Minister of Labour. What might that be? I wonder how the respective highlighted magazines label themselves....

All this snivelling because a small c conservative magazine IN THE WEST - OHMYGOD! - was given a grant.

You idealogues need to get a life.

BTW, the "news release" was no different than many others, such as

the Government of Canada Supports Nova Scotia Magazines

The Government of Canada supports the Antiginosh Review

Goverment of Canada supports, etc, etc.