Will the two become one?

We recently had a thread on the proposed North American Union, where Canada would join the US, and its ten provinces become ten states. I don't see that happening anytime soon, but the reality is that the two countries are moving closer, and many Canadians are now proposing a customs union between the US and Canada, to the exclusion of Mexico. I approve of that, because Mexico's problems cannot drag us down. If there is a customs union, then, over time, both countries will merge.

Do you see this happening? IOW, do you see the two countries becoming one?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We recently had a thread on the proposed North American Union, where Canada would join the US, and its ten provinces become ten states. I don't see that happening anytime soon, but the reality is that the two countries are moving closer, and many Canadians are now proposing a customs union between the US and Canada, to the exclusion of Mexico. I approve of that, because Mexico's problems cannot drag us down. If there is a customs union, then, over time, both countries will merge.

The NAU is US, Canada, Mexico ... completely intertwined economically, but I don't believe being 'taken over' by the US is how it's being promoted.

I agree with some of the trade and border barrier stuff, but I don't like the US's attitude that we are an appendage of THEIRS ...

... that goes to Iraq with them (they were REALLY pissed)

... that allows the Ballistic Missiles to fly over our heads (really surprised!)

... etc.

There isn't enough respect.

Too much of the neighbourhood protector/bully, who is 'so hurt' when we don't just go along with his paranoia and conspiracies of global warfare ... space wars.

I don't know about the NAU ... SPP ... needs a LOT of work ... and a LOT of public input.

And we all saw how much public input there was at the (SPP protests) G8 in Quebec.

NONE. Just government and other corporate input.

We weren't allowed. We've never been asked for input.

We have to 'protest' outside locked gates and windows that don't open to draw attention to our concerns.

They send 'agentes provocateurs' to raise the ante so the police can disperse us.

But ... it's just a 'business deal' ... nothing to do with democratic rights, of course, just a confidential business deal that we're not allowed to know.

kinda gives ya chills ... if they really are giving Canada away like that ... lock stock barrel

... and sovereignty.

and gun registry ... ?

yikes!

Edited by tango

There's no need to merge the countries. The people who care can merge the parts of the country that they care about - economic, security areas - and we'll be satisfied that we still have our own "country".

I also submit that a country, especially one such as Canada, is largely an artificial construct that only stays together if those involved believe they share something.

But we will be getting closer together. I think the former US ambassador to Canada, who was Republican governor of Massachusetts, said that, by 2020, we will be one country in fact, though not in name.

I'd like to see a customs union, but I agree that we should have some input into how the US conducts its public policy, because we'll have to follow. I think Michael Ignatieff said that Canada should have a say in how the Afghan campaign is conducted by the Americans, for that same reason.

Moderator, I accidentally put my reply in a "report this post to a moderator". That was my mistake, and I have no complaints. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

....I'd like to see a customs union, but I agree that we should have some input into how the US conducts its public policy, because we'll have to follow. I think Michael Ignatieff said that Canada should have a say in how the Afghan campaign is conducted by the Americans, for that same reason.

Not very likely...Mr. Ignatieff can't even influence how Canada conducts the "campaign".

... I don't see that happening anytime soon, but the reality is that the two countries are moving closer, and many Canadians are now proposing a customs union between the US and Canada, to the exclusion of Mexico. I approve of that, because Mexico's problems cannot drag us down. If there is a customs union, then, over time, both countries will merge.

No, particularly not to the exclusion of Mexico. Canada has about 8% of the population in Norte America. Mexico (and Mexicans) already have a stronger geographical past and present with Americans than does Canada.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Canada is marginal, I'll concede that. But Canada's influence is greater than zero, and, if America wants an easier time of it, it will have to listen to us, at least to the extent that it wants our marginal help.

That's a fair trade, but why insist that the Americans do anything at all? Shop your margins around the world.

I learned something the other day over at CTV.....when Canadians say that Canada is America's most important ally, what they are really saying is that America is Canada's most important ally.

That's a fair trade, but why insist that the Americans do anything at all? Shop your margins around the world.

I learned something the other day over at CTV.....when Canadians say that Canada is America's most important ally, what they are really saying is that America is Canada's most important ally.

irrelevant.

we are neighbours.

kinda stuck together ... but separate.

irrelevant.

we are neighbours.

kinda stuck together ... but separate.

I think it is relevant....this type of thread pops up on a regular basis. What kind of concern or uncertainty drives these type of threads? Canada is Canada.....though sometimes the very definition relies on the US as a foil.

I can see the US joining Canada but not the other way around.

Pehaps Canada should join St Pierre and Miquelon.