FOX Belitles Canada in Afghanistan

I don't.....the US media market only gets a glimpse of the CBC on C-SPAN, while Fox News weighs heavy on some Canuck minds. That's what so funny about the "outrage"...as if you are forced to watch Fox.

Sorry your domestic offerings are so....limited.

Touche

If only Fox News could be as clever and sarcastic and fixed in fact as you. Your comments are far more biting then Fox. There is always a lining of truth in your comments, whether I agree with what you say or not.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there has been a lot of wasted money but the real problem is that we as Canadians have no clear consensus about what we want our military to be. Any discussion about the military that falls short of cheerleading is considered politically incorrect because it means we're not "supporting the troops". So, meaningful debate is stifled and Canadian soldiers keep dying.

This is BS, clear debate is what everyone wants but, is to "Canadian" to sit down and discuss the matter seriously....after all is not Canadian to sit and discuss Defence matters, as we are afraid to be labeled as a right wing, or even worse an american...we will however sit and talk for hours on a bil dollar health care system that is in desparate need of fixing....but our defence which lies in critical condition...we'd rather see it die....Nobody is stifling debate except Canadians....

In recent years, top Canadian generals have developed an activist streak in which they've started to appeal directly to the public. This is a dangerous trend towards politicizing the military. Religion and politics are a bad mix. The mixing of military and politics is toxic.

That is because they have grown tired of waiting for our government to bring some aid or relief, that has not come, they have waited for the Canadian people to step up, but they have yet to do that....so while you may see it as dangerous, they saee it as a last ditch effort to save our defence..

I don't believe that Canadians want or need a gargantuan military. Weaponry is inherently high tech and expensive. We need to focus on those capabilities that are best suited to our geography. Our best defence is our geographical isolation. Trying to build a meaningful defence against our southern neighbors is a pointless exercise. So why all the hoopla about main battle tanks?

I agree with you Canada does not need a huge military, but what it does need is a defence struture that is capable of atleast providing atleast 50% of our defence requirements...not just our military requirements, but RCMP, Coast Guard, CSIS, Communications, National preparness, to name a few....all shelved or given lip service because the Americans foot the bill and we let them....And then we get shoocked when someone rubs that fact in our face....No we are pissed becaused it was our neibours that did the rubbing....will the rubbing do any good no, it is more of a vent than an actual rub....they're tired of footing the bill for the defence of North America, while we rub there noses in how much better we are than them....

Those articles that have been posted here concerning the condition of our forces are just the tip of the ice burg....The media has been publishing them as fast as they come out, we as Canadians can not say we have nor been warned.....

What does bother me is a belief that is widely shared to the point where it has become common wisdom among large segments of the population on both sides of the border. This belief is that the US's oversized, overpriced military has kept us (and Western Europe) safe. This is one of those nuggets of common knowledge that is only believable until you think about it.

I think that has what has got alot of Americans upset, the fact they are thinking about it, how the US and all of it's military strength does in fact go into keeping all of us safe....The price of our NORAD commitment cost 3.2 bil a year, Canada's contribution to the defence bill is only 300 mil a year less than 10 %....That defence agreement is for the protection of our own nation...and it only gets worse when we expand it to NATO, and other defnece Agreements...

What is it they think they are protecting us from? Vietnam? Panama? Korea? Iraq? Give me strength. The main basis for our security are oceans between us and the rest of the world.

And while being being protected somewhat geographically, would have worked during the cold war, todays conflicts can arrive upon our door step as the next flight comes in....

Imagine you live in a town with no police force. The house next door is occupied by a bunch of guys armed to the teeth. These guys resist every effort to get a police force and insist that things have to be done "their way". It seems like they're always fighting with other people in town and it's always the other guy's fault. They've attacked you before but that was a long time ago. Now, they insist they're your buddies. Does living next to these guys make you feel safe?

And while we sit in our chairs watch TV every night, what have we as a nation done to improve our security, Can you name anything we've done to get from under this situation....no...Have we has a nation sat down and gave up...except perhaps whine about how we let the bully provide our protection...because we have better things to do other than provide our defence....like what...other nations within this world have closed themselfs off to outside influence, and yet they take thier defence very seriously....perhaps we need to lose it before we can claim it back again...

The fact is that the view of America as defender of the free world is isn't shared by most of the people they claim to be protecting. Most of the world sees the U.S. as a rogue nation trying to impose its own views on the world. Americans themselves, of course, are sheltered from those views by a compliant media that has long ago stopped questioning the government or the basic view of the US as a force for good.

Until we can provide basic protection for our selfs we should not be claiming anything...and as long as we show the Americans we are willing to sit back and do nothing about our own defences we really should be willing to eat any shit they decide to shovel our way....and instead of pionting our fingers and blaming them for everything that is wrong with this world we should be atleast keeping our mouths shut...or saying thanks, for allowing us to spend our tax dollars on anything but defences.....

It's easy to tell that people have nothing intelligent to add when they start to make fun of your handle. Thanks for identifying yourself as one of those.

S'okay. Thanks for making yourself so easy to make fun of. :P

Who the hell is Greg Gutfeld?

Why the hell is he on at 3 AM Eastern time?

Who the hell stays up that late to watch?

And the most important question, why the hell do we care what he says?

He is entitled to his opinion, comedic or ignorant, and if he wants to look and act like he knows not of what he speaks then we can take solace in the fact that part of the reason the US is held in relative low esteem here is because of him and people like him.

...He is entitled to his opinion, comedic or ignorant, and if he wants to look and act like he knows not of what he speaks then we can take solace in the fact that part of the reason the US is held in relative low esteem here is because of him and people like him.

He isn't suppose to know anything....and neither do the "Red Eye" writers.....which is exactly how the format is suppose to work. This late night / early morning filler is "ignorant" and "irreverent" by design, just as some other shows are formatted. The big difference apparently is the network in question......FOX!

Americans are suppose to suck it up and accept biting lowlife criticism from the likes of Heather Mallick as straight CBC commentary, but Canada can't handle mocking exchanges on a comedy show? (except The Daily Show, which is actually on "Comedy Central".)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

He isn't suppose to know anything....and neither do the "Red Eye" writers.....which is exactly how the format is suppose to work. This late night / early morning filler is "ignorant" and "irreverent" by design, just as some other shows are formatted. The big difference apparently is the network in question......FOX!

Americans are suppose to suck it up and accept biting lowlife criticism from the likes of Heather Mallick as straight CBC commentary, but Canada can't handle mocking exchanges on a comedy show? (except The Daily Show, which is actually on the "Comedy Channnel".)

Alas, b_c2004, if it makes you feel better, I can assure you I would say the same thing whether it was this yoyo, a yoyo from CNN or a yoyo from any other network.

And I assume that Americans are quite free not to care about Heather Mallick or any other Canadian or world journalist, which is exactly what I was trying to say: I don't care what Mr. Gutfeld thinks, which is my choice, just as it's my choice not to watch Fox (or The Daily Show, which I don't.)

May I ask a question: how would you have responded to my post if I'd left that little section out? Just curious.

Fox host apologizes.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Gutfeld issued an apology Monday afternoon saying, "I realize that my words may have been misunderstood. It was not my intent to disrespect the brave men, women and families of the Canadian military, and for that I apologize."

But the host also seemed to defend his program, adding "Red Eye is a satirical take on the news, in which all topics are addressed in a lighthearted, humorous and ridiculous manner."

I think upon finding out that four more soldiers died this week kind of puts a damper on lighthearted.

"I realize that my words may have been misunderstood. It was not my intent to disrespect the brave men, women and families of the Canadian military, and for that I apologize."

But the host also seemed to defend his program, adding "Red Eye is a satirical take on the news, in which all topics are addressed in a lighthearted, humorous and ridiculous manner."

That's not an apology, that's a denial that's written to sound like an apology.

Notice how he only admitted to mis-communicating, he didn't admit to any wrong-doing. He doesn't think his message was wrong, just the manner in which he delivered it.

He goes on to say that it wasn't his intent to direspect the Canadian military, but that was the entire point of the piece, so he's lying.

The irony of this is that he was essentially calling the Canadian military a bunch of cowards for wanting to take a year to re-organize after the Afganistan mission ends . . . But he's not even enough of a man to admit when he's made a mistake on a TV show . . . Something tells me if this is how he acts when he makes a dumb mistake in a TV studio, he would be crying for mommy if he were ever in an actual fire-fight.

The guy is the former editor of Maxim, I've always said that those chauvinistic douche-bags who do all of the chest-thumping "I'm such a man!" are actually the biggest cowards (and closet queens) and it's all just overcompensation.

Edited by JB Globe

That's not an apology, that's a denial that's written to sound like an apology.

And he used disrespect as a verb when it is clearly a noun.

"It was not my intent to disrespect the brave men, women and families of the Canadian military, and for that I apologize."

....May I ask a question: how would you have responded to my post if I'd left that little section out? Just curious.

I would have responded in an identical manner. Projection of a Canadian value wrt "low (international) esteem" does not hold much water with most Americans when faced with a damned if you do...damned if you don't scenario. If we can agree that all nations can be subjected to criticism, satire, and derision regardless of the format, all will be well.

I would have responded in an identical manner. Projection of a Canadian value wrt "low (international) esteem" does not hold much water with most Americans when faced with a damned if you do...damned if you don't scenario. If we can agree that all nations can be subjected to criticism, satire, and derision regardless of the format, all will be well.

Free speech should be the ablity to say what you will and not be struck in the face. I find with free speech you will not have a problem with intelligent people - You can say what you want and the intelligent respond and counter - in good fun - It's the stupified that respond inappropriately and become angry..Those angry with Fox are not that bright..When are we to learn NOT to be controled by our emotions through insult or flattery?

I think that he hit a nerve as their wa some apparent deficencies in our military, size, funding, amount of equipement ect. We lean hevily on our southern ally for our own security.

What we do have is the best trained military in the world and our solders are the best in the world.

I think that has what has got alot of Americans upset, the fact they are thinking about it, how the US and all of it's military strength does in fact go into keeping all of us safe....The price of our NORAD commitment cost 3.2 bil a year, Canada's contribution to the defence bill is only 300 mil a year less than 10 %....That defence agreement is for the protection of our own nation...and it only gets worse when we expand it to NATO, and other defnece Agreements...

Ah, yes. Common wisdom. More common than wise, I'm afraid. Anyone in Canada who feels safer having a heavily armed, aggressive neighbor to the south should do a little bit of thinking on that. And maybe take a history course.

Who is it that NORAD is protecting us from? Who is NATO protecting us from?

And while being being protected somewhat geographically, would have worked during the cold war, todays conflicts can arrive upon our door step as the next flight comes in....

Try for a minute to escape your military indoctrination and think for yourself. Who is going to attack us? Why? How?

How many countries have a navy capable of launching an amphibious assault on the other side of an ocean?

And while we sit in our chairs watch TV every night, what have we as a nation done to improve our security, Can you name anything we've done to get from under this situation....no...Have we has a nation sat down and gave up...except perhaps whine about how we let the bully provide our protection...because we have better things to do other than provide our defence....like what...other nations within this world have closed themselfs off to outside influence, and yet they take thier defence very seriously....perhaps we need to lose it before we can claim it back again...

More of the same crap. The last time the US protected us from anything it was WWII and that was only because the US was attacked.

Until we can provide basic protection for our selfs we should not be claiming anything...and as long as we show the Americans we are willing to sit back and do nothing about our own defences we really should be willing to eat any shit they decide to shovel our way....and instead of pionting our fingers and blaming them for everything that is wrong with this world we should be atleast keeping our mouths shut...or saying thanks, for allowing us to spend our tax dollars on anything but defences.....

The last time I checked, Canadian soldiers were fighting a Canadian-funded war in a third world country at the behest of the US. Is fighting that war making us safer? Of course not. If anything, it is putting my family at increased risk of a terrorist attack. Is the war making Afghanistan a better place? Not according to the civilians over there who've lost loved ones.

Think some intelligent, independent thoughts. Then come back and maybe I'll listen to you.

I think that he hit a nerve as their wa some apparent deficencies in our military, size, funding, amount of equipement ect. We lean hevily on our southern ally for our own security.

No, I think he was an asshole. And the supporting cast on that show were a combination of dicks and assholes. What that show did, was demonstrate how inconsiderate and out of touch Fox News hosts are regarding the activities of their allies.

"I didn't know they were in Afghanistan". And you think that f234wits like that have something to offer? Maybe it was the manicures......

If I want to know about our military I have a damn good source here on MLW.

I think the guy meant every word he said about the Canadians military but why our military? Why not the US military. Would he say the same thing about their military needing a rest which they do and most of all, why make fun at ANY military in the world now. Does he appreciate the militaries that are in Afg. fighting along side of the US and other countries. You Tube, had over 1400 e-mails from Canadians and on the news it said over 8000 sent e-mails! Thank God not all Americans are like the people on FOX!

The last time I checked, Canadian soldiers were fighting a Canadian-funded war in a third world country at the behest of the US. Is fighting that war making us safer? Of course not. If anything, it is putting my family at increased risk of a terrorist attack. Is the war making Afghanistan a better place? Not according to the civilians over there who've lost loved ones.

Better check again...may I suggest the NATO and UN Charter as a good beginning.

No, I think he was an asshole. And the supporting cast on that show were a combination of dicks and assholes. What that show did, was demonstrate how inconsiderate and out of touch Fox News hosts are regarding the activities of their allies.

True perhaps, but their right to do so. Fox News is not the US State Department.

"I didn't know they were in Afghanistan". And you think that f234wits like that have something to offer? Maybe it was the manicures......

Great....this response is great for the churn.

If I want to know about our military I have a damn good source here on MLW.

I think it is safe to say that nobody would consult "Red Eye" for such expertise.

I am going to agree with BC2004 here. They have right to say what they did. I mean honestly they play to the 3 am people watching Fox News they said just what was expected of them. I mean I have seen Coulter and Tucker Carlson say the same sorts of things and I don't remember anyone out for their blood. You get to be outraged when someone says something you don't expect I mean honestly.

I guess when the Americans can "sacrafice" (hate that term) 10,000 young men and de-leg another 30 thousand - that a few dead Canadians does not register on their radar. Maybe we should send 50 thousand into the meat grinder and then they would acknowledge us? :rolleyes:

Correct Sir! The US was shipping them home in casualty containers by the gross from Iraq (and Afghanistan), and there was no shortage of comical wisdom from the international peanut gallery.