Health and Dental Plan VIU

spm171

I am currently having difficulty opting out of Vancouver Island University's health and dental plan. January 5, 2009 is the date in which I started my first semester at this school. Upon registration I was not made aware of an opting out date (Feb 1st) and I did not receive any opting out appeal papers. The first time I was made aware of opting out was March 6th through a third party. I'm already on the provincial medical plan (BC) and two blue cross extended health and dental plans for 100% coverage. I handed in my opting out appeal sheet with documentation of my medical coverage March 9th. On March 10th my VIU account was disabled without notice. After contacting a Students' Union rep. who holds all authority over VIU health and dental plans, I was informed that I was sent letters by the school and that the opting out process is "well advertised". I responded by saying this system appears to look like negative option billing, I was told this is not negative option billing because in 2006 students had voted on this system and agreed to all of the provisions and rules. I have talked many other students at my school who have gone through the same process as me; all of them have had extreme difficulty opting out or ended up paying for the unnecessary health and dental plan. I will be happy for any feedback on how to go about this problem. Thank you.

Shane

Shane

First off read the fine print on the plans in mention. There may be evidence in there that they are not playing fair .

Second, contact your Superintendant of Insurance for the province, where there may be information on how you can alleviate this situation.

Most provinces have insurance boards who set the rules, and one of the general rules is an "insured" cannot have two policies covering the same risk. Since you have dental etc already, then the double policy rule may kick in and reverse any charges from the VIU.

Lastly, but this may be more important than contacting the superintendant , the ins company holding the policy for you should have informed you of any clause for cancellation via registered letter.

Lastly, I believe that 'negative billing ' has been outlawed by your province. It wasnt done at the fed level, but provincially IIRC most have legislation outlawing this.