Stop Dump Site 41 - WE WON !

Also: Why is it if I came to the meat processing plant at say the Maple Leaf Company - and dumped a container of bacteria into a vat of product - I would be arrested - But if some chump wants to drop a huge blistering billion gallons or rotten sludge into ten billion gallons of the purest drinking water on earth _ no one gets arrested?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I see a couple of Italian guys meeting with some bay street upstart young lawyer - and why do I imagine the conversation like this - "we can get the land cheap and our inside guy at city hall will award us the contract..as for the protestors - I got a judge in my pocket - a small town dude who wants to feel important" Then they all laugh.

Why do I see a couple of Italian guys meeting with some bay street upstart young lawyer - and why do I imagine the conversation like this - "we can get the land cheap and our inside guy at city hall will award us the contract..as for the protestors - I got a judge in my pocket - a small town dude who wants to feel important" Then they all laugh.

Even a child or dog can tell the good guys from the bad guys - we adults are easily impressed. This dump will not go into existance _ If it does I will not only lose faith in the system - but faith in humanity for it's lack of courage. Don't let the bd guys win or make you sick - stand up for your right to life!

Hopeful news!

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/685511

George Lawrence is proof positive that good things sometimes come to those who wait.

For more than 15 years, he has battled a proposed garbage dump in Tiny Township, just northwest of Barrie, home to some of the best and most productive farmland in Ontario's food belt.

A recent surge in local councillors' support has come in time for this week's county council vote on the matter.

He didn't do it alone, of course. Lawrence, now in his first term as deputy mayor of the rural township, was part of a close-knit group of farmers, environmentalists and residents who opposed the Site 41 facility in their quietly polite way.

They could learn tomorrow if they have won a one-year moratorium on the project that they say will pollute the Alliston Aquifer. Scientists say it contains some of the world's purest drinking water.

YES!! Some County Councillors are changing their minds!

It only takes one to change the 16-15 vote that approved the dump!!

Looks good for tomorrow's vote.

THIS DUMP WILL NEVER OPEN !!! :D

9am - County Council meets with the community/protesters at County office.

11 am County Council meets to consider a moratorium. They'll probably make some excuse to go 'in camera'.

Warden Tony Guergis takes his last shot ... and boy is he p'd!

As for dump critics, Guergis dismissed them as NIMBYs who do not know what they are talking about. "Just because the public is against it doesn't mean they're informed on the issue. We're now going into round 20, just to appease the public."

Just to appease the public, eh Tony. That would be the "public" who democratically elected you to represent them, right ?!?!

Tiny pathetic dictator wannabes should not run for public office: That's not the way democracy works. <_<

Edited by tango

GOOD NEWS!!

(MINISTER OF THE ENIRONMENT) Gerretsen meets with Site 41 group, says the Modflow should be public

August 24th, 2009

In brief: As the cyclists arrived at the MoE office on St. Clair W. and we were preparing for our news conference, Environment Minister John Gerretsen came out to speak to us. The cameras clustered around as Jen Meunier, Anne Ritchie-Nahuis and Mark Calzavara told him of the deficiencies in the way his ministry has been handling Dump Site 41 for years – and our dismay and alarm that now some of the purest water in the world is being contaminated, we think by the dewatering. He promised to meet inside with some representatives and six of us went in, had an hour-long meeting with his staff and met with him for half an hour. We were quite surprised to be there at all, given how hard it has been to get a hearing from any one in power. He listened, he promised to look into what we told him and he made one very significant statement, that he believes the calibrated modflow should be made public.

Kate Harries

http://stopdumpsite41.ca/

The Simcoe County Council votes on that tomorrow too, in response to an order from the FOI Commissioner, now past deadline and ordered again.

The Ministry of the Environment can shut them down, but let's hope the Council does it themselves by voting for a moratorium tomorrow morning.

:D

Edited by tango

http://stopdumpsite41.ca

WE WON! One-year moratorium carries 22-10

We did it! Today Simcoe County Council voted 22-10, a weighted voted of 83-39 on a motion in favour of a one-year moratorium, put forward by Tiny Township Mayor Peggy Breckenridge and seconded by New Tecumseth Mayor Mike MacEachern. “It was a miracle of coming together,” said Maude Barlow of the Council of Canadians.

“All your hard work paid off,” Anne Ritchie Nahuis told jubilant supporters at the county administration centre in Midhurst.

“Thank you to everybody for standing with the First Nations people to stop this – I’m very very pleased,” said Vicki Monague of Beausoleil Island First Nation.

Council voted to drop the claim for damages against Monague and Ritchie Nahuis.

Adjala-Tosorontio Deputy Mayor Doug Little will be proposing a motion to the September meeting of county council to permanently close down Dump Site 41.

Full report of today’s council meeting tomorrow.

It’s time to celebrate!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 at 6:08 pm and is filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Yahoo!!!

Congratulations and thank you to all the people who have worked so hard against this dump for so may years!

One-year halt ordered for Simcoe County dump site

Proposed landfill sits on top of aquifer, opponents argue

Aug 25, 2009 06:52 PM

Gail Swainson

Staff Reporter

MIDHURST – Simcoe County councillors voted this afternoon in favour of a one-year moratorium on the controversial development of the "Site 41" garbage dump in Tiny Township northwest of Barrie.

Pressure had been building on the councillors to halt the development over fears it would contaminate an underground reservoir that scientists say provides some of the cleanest drinking water in the world.

"I knew we were going to get it," said Tiny township Mayor Peggy Breckenridge after the 22-10 vote at Simcoe County Council in favour of a one-year moratorium on the 20.7-hectare garbage facility.

"Now comes the next step, and that will be to kill Dump Site 41."

In the past few months, widespread support for a one-year moratorium had zoomed, with a growing list of celebrity opponents joining the cause. Everyone from U.S environmental activist Ralph Nader – who visited Site 41 two weeks ago and wrote Premier Dalton McGuinty to voice his opposition – to Canada's UN water czar Maude Barlow and former Toronto mayor David Crombie, to local residents, politicians, trade unionists and First Nations people has called on the county to take a second look before opening the dump site.

more ...

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/686373

http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&am...;q=dump+site+41

I am glad they dropped the damages against two of the leaders. Now let's see them drop ALL the charges !!

Edited by tango

If everyone did nothing - the water and land would become a nothing in time - those that bitched intelligently and personally had effect - those of us who protested and scolded electronically had effect - some times you have to blast them with everything you got including giving a good and constructive threat to authorities - They are OUR servants -and when a servant betrays his masters - that master (public) can enter into a mode of utmost rigid and brutal civic authority - suggest putting some second rate rural judge in jail...and their ears perks up..we can not be afraid to stand up for human rights and the right to life....No authority shall serve a special interest group - that wants to profit and does not give a damn about us the majority............IF they want a dump - Let them create a huge stainless steel and reinforced concrete sink- built on granite- I don't care what it costs---Posion must be contained ----CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL! EVEN TO THE AUTHORITIES THAT SUBMITTED TO WHAT WAS RIGHT..NO DUMP WILL EVER EXIST ON THESE LANDS .......NEVER! Water is the base of our ancient Christian heritage - this idea to shit in the well is blasphemy... Again - personally I am delighted that we preserved our wealth - THIS IS REAL CONSERVATISM. This is also the liberation of land and true LIBERALISM - WE have a balance now.

Water doesn't get any better than this!

So why would Simcoe County put a landfill on top of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4AiFq4SC5c

Yeah, you live way up there and like to tell us how great multiculturalism is when you yourself live in an almost entirely white community. Lol, try living in Toronto or surrounding for a while then tell me how great it is being out numbered in your own country.

Yeah, you live way up there and like to tell us how great multiculturalism is when you yourself live in an almost entirely white community. Lol, try living in Toronto or surrounding for a while then tell me how great it is being out numbered in your own country.

(Mr Can, you are self-absorbed racist pig. Being 'Christian' is no excuse.

GTF out of this thread please!!)

OH HAPPY DAY

Maude Barlow, the UN's senior adviser on water issues and president of the Council of Canadians, was one of the most vocal critics of Site 41 and called Tuesday's victory a turning point in the movement to protect water.

“Because this was such an intense fight being watched all over the country, I think you're going to see the same debate start happening everywhere. The shift is going to be from councillors searching for the least contentious place to put a dump to saying how can we have no more dump sites? How can we protect the water?” Ms. Barlow said.

YES!! NO MORE LANDFILLS ... ANYWHERE IN CANADA!

Simcoe County Warden Tony Guergis, who had taken much of the flak for supporting the dump site, is now resigned to seeing the project halted forever. He said he can't understand how a site that was approved by the provincial Ministry of the Environment became so contentious.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation...article1264456/

Ha ha ha ... "can't understand" ... yup, that's true. He's a friggen neanderthal.

His type just became obsolete!

I am so proud of my homies!! The people of Simcoe County ROCK for fighting this dump for 25 years!! :D

And Oleg, thanks for electronically burning the ears of Council. I'm sure it helped. Your story about your lake was heart-wrenching.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Oh what a happy day!

:D :D

Edited by tango

YES!! NO MORE LANDFILLS ... ANYWHERE IN CANADA!

A bit unrealistic wouldn't you say? Existing landfills will fill up, and we can't exactly burn all our garbage either, as there is just as much, if not more, opposition to waste incinerators as there is to landfills. Or do you suggest we should ship all our garbage to some poor nation that will be happy to take it, caring not for their environment but just struggling to raise some money?

There's no easy solution to the issue of garbage. All we can do is minimize the damage done. Building a dump close to a pristine aquifer is indeed stupid, and I, too, am glad it was shot down, but new dumps will most certainly have to be established somewhere.

A bit unrealistic wouldn't you say? Existing landfills will fill up, and we can't exactly burn all our garbage either, as there is just as much, if not more, opposition to waste incinerators as there is to landfills.....

Is the word "incineration" used generically or specifically? I'd attended a seminar several years ago in which an engineering firm an emerging technology that "cooks" the garbage at high temperature. When asked about the garbage being incinerated, he specifically clarified that it was not incineration, that this process did not involve burning. I totally forgot what the process was called. It has no emissions.

As landfills consume for valuable land, costs will eventually skyrocket. Eventually, it would become economical to send our garbage to the sun.

Is the word "incineration" used generically or specifically? I'd attended a seminar several years ago in which an engineering firm an emerging technology that "cooks" the garbage at high temperature. When asked about the garbage being incinerated, he specifically clarified that it was not incineration, that this process did not involve burning. I totally forgot what the process was called. It has no emissions.

As landfills consume for valuable land, costs will eventually skyrocket. Eventually, it would become economical to send our garbage to the sun.

Absolutely. Gasification is one method - From solid to gas.

Like when the wind magically takes away the snowbanks, without puddles.

The gas is cleaned, refined and used to produce energy.

WASTE TO ENERGY technology.

It'll eat our old landfills too.

But the key is what Maude Barlow said:

How can we have no more dump sites? How can we protect the water?”

And soil, and air.

We're there. And about darned time.

Europe is amazed that North America is still burying fuel for clean energy.

One person's trash is another person's energy.

Hey ... we really each need our own gasifier. :D

I'm well aware of waste to energy technology and also know that absolutely no one will want to have it in their backyard. A waste to energy facility deals with huge amounts of garbage, and thus the whole area around it inevitably becomes dirty. Also, even with the best current technologies to reduce emissions, it still emits a wide range of pollutants. Try to build a waste to energy facility on that same aquifer and the reaction would be no more positive than it was to the dump.

I'm well aware of waste to energy technology and also know that absolutely no one will want to have it in their backyard. A waste to energy facility deals with huge amounts of garbage, and thus the whole area around it inevitably becomes dirty. Also, even with the best current technologies to reduce emissions, it still emits a wide range of pollutants. Try to build a waste to energy facility on that same aquifer and the reaction would be no more positive than it was to the dump.

It has a lot of advantages over the coal fired energy plants.

The only real advantage is that it utilizes a byproduct of human civilization as its fuel.

Precisely.

We have been told that, in Germany, 57 incinerators are being closed and replaced with plasma gasification so that the gas produced can generate electricity instead of polluting the air we breath.

Plasma can be built for much less cost than incinerators, built in half the time and there is no fly ash to dispose of.

The residue of plasma is a non-leachable solid material that can be moulded into useful materials such as ceramic tile or crushed for road base.

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1680804

Edited by tango

Precisely.

We have been told that, in Germany, 57 incinerators are being closed and replaced with plasma gasification so that the gas produced can generate electricity instead of polluting the air we breath.

Plasma can be built for much less cost than incinerators, built in half the time and there is no fly ash to dispose of.

The residue of plasma is a non-leachable solid material that can be moulded into useful materials such as ceramic tile or crushed for road base.

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1680804

Sounds good. I'm a big believer in the "technological fix" myself. If it can be solved as easily as you say, that would be great. Personally, I have my doubts, but I haven't done much reading in the field of garbage disposal. Let me know when you are getting one of these things built in your backyard.

Sounds good. I'm a big believer in the "technological fix" myself. If it can be solved as easily as you say, that would be great. Personally, I have my doubts, but I haven't done much reading in the field of garbage disposal. Let me know when you are getting one of these things built in your backyard.

In California years back, they passed a law that required retailers to take back all the packaging on products and pay for their disposal.

Of course they complained to the manufacturers and stopping stocking excess packaged products. In turn the manufacturers who want to sell to the retailers had to reduce the packaging or change it to recyclable or compostable to sell their product. They called it "innovation".

I believe it reduced the waste packaging stream by about 80% - which represents about 90% of of garbage. I think it is about time we took such measures....

I believe it reduced the waste packaging stream by about 80% - which represents about 90% of of garbage. I think it is about time we took such measures....

Packaging is 90% of garbage? You're saying that one measure in California reduced total garbage production by 72%? That can't be right, you must have mixed up some numbers (kinda like with the trillion dollar trust thing). Got any reference?

That being said, reducing excessive packaging is a worthy goal, though I'm not sure that placing the extra burden on retailers would be wise in current economic conditions.

Packaging is 90% of garbage? You're saying that one measure in California reduced total garbage production by 72%? That can't be right, you must have mixed up some numbers (kinda like with the trillion dollar trust thing). Got any reference?

That being said, reducing excessive packaging is a worthy goal, though I'm not sure that placing the extra burden on retailers would be wise in current economic conditions.

Packaging is a huge issue. Many people leave the extra packaging at the store, to send a message. I think targeting packaging is a good idea, though I haven't seen those figures before.

We would have implemented modern incineration technologies over 15 years ago here in Ontario if Bob Rae's NDP, with Ruth Grier as the Minister in charge had not been absolutely, totally and rabidly against any form of incineration whatsoever!

The NDP had seemed totally incapable of understanding that plasma incinerators were any different from burning a heap of garbage in your backyard. Companies wanting to bid to operate in Ontario offered to fly Ruth and her own pick of experts to running plasma plants in the US, to show her how green was the technology. She refused to even look!

Just another bunch of socialist luddites who never took any more science classes after their bean sprouts in that jar of tissue paper sprung up and died...

Looked at a high view of the wanna bee dump site - It's flat and surrounded by high land - a perfect artisian setting - the water flows from all sides down into where the dump would have been - If you dig a well - the water will come up on it's own in a spring...IF you put garbage on this site - water will fill the basin - and the crap will turn to soup that can only flow down into the water table - I am so glad that the people there stood up for human rights and the right to good health...is that to much to ask the authorities - that we be strong and healthy and our children are guarenteed the same? I think not!

A return to fallow ground, for now

Posted By MARK BONOKOSKI, SUN MEDIA

Posted -18 sec ago

/Power to the people, right on"

-- John Lennon

WYEVALE, Ont. -- At the coming of dawn of the morning after the night before, earth-moving equipment began making their exodus from Site 41, the power of a democratically forced moratorium having taken hold -- achieved in the end by protests, demonstrations, blockades, civil disobedience, arrests and, just maybe, a little common sense.

The determined will of the people had overcome the bureaucratic will of the municipality's corporation. Democracy had somehow won.

The controversial landfill known as Site 41, perched atop a vast aquifer of unsullied water stretching from Georgian Bay to the Oak Ridges Moraine, was finally a no-go -- at least for a year, and quite possibly forever.

Simcoe County Warden Tony Guergis, uberboss of the 16 municipalities that form his realm, as subtle as a bulldozer, had the stuffing sucked from his shirt when the weighted majority of the 31 councillors under his rule decided at Tuesday's council meeting in Midhurst that enough was enough, and that dump site needed more reflection.

But, oh, how he railed.

He railed against his council for not having the brass of his balls to vote in favour of the dump's continuance, of caving to grassroots public pressure, and of having no ability to make a tough decision in the presence of the hoi polloi.

And he kept on railing until Coun. Mike MacEachern, the mayor of New Tecumseh, once an ally of the emperor but an ally no more on this issue, decided that Guergis' condescension and belittling had gone too far.

"I am not prepared to sit here and be chastised," he finally told the warden. All to cheers from the public gallery. It was this public gallery, jam-packed with concerned people, that Warden Guergis threatened to have cleared if they did not sit silently while he pointedly provoked them.

"Anyone with five minutes of education will wade in with an opinion," he dismissively said at one point.

"Shame, shame, shame," cried the gallery. And rightfully so.

The emperor, who ran for warden on an anti-dump ticket, only to flip allegiances once elected, was not necessarily caught without clothes. But his stuffed shirt was certainly deflating. And his bully-boy act had worn itself thin.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDi....aspx?e=1719265

I think every county has a 'Guergis' who forgot that democracy elected him.

I hope they are all sitting up and taking notice today.

I think the people of Simcoe County have shown that you can fight 'county hall' ... and win.

I hope more communities are encouraged to protect their water, earth and air.

Edited by tango

I think every county has a 'Guergis' who forgot that democracy elected him.

I hope they are all sitting up and taking notice today.

I think the people of Simcoe County have shown that you can fight 'county hall' ... and win.

I hope more communities are encouraged to protect their water, earth and air.

Ya. Marie trainer comes to mind. A Six Nations stopping development on their land is a democratic gesture as well. Too bad the majority of people are either distracted by greed or apathy to notice.