What does it mean to be English Canadian?

August1991

That's exactly my point; English-Canadian as an identity, in the sense that French-Canadian is an identity, is meaningless. The only reason French-Canadians define themselves as such first, and in August's case attempt to understand the rest of Canada as English-Canadian, is that it solidifies their national identity as something completely distinct from other Canadians. It's a divisive tactic that confines French-Canadians to Quebec and regionalizes politics by rejecting the civic identity of the general Canadian.

Edited by cybercoma

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it's enough to say that an English Canadian is a Canadian that primarily speaks English, while a French Canadian is a Canadian that primarily speaks French.

Canada hasn't changed geographically since 1949, and one could argue that there are those both Newfoundland and the ROC that would say that it didn't change then (but that's another thread).

Canadians can be defined in many ways: by region, by religious preference, by place of birth, by political preference and of course, by language.

Perhaps we have to take on faith that we are Canadian, and that being Canadian is something worthy of being and something to be proud of, no matter what language we speak.

I don't know....I think I'm babbling.

Babbling? I have my own idea of what is a Newfoundlander.

----

I am no nationalist, but I think we must stand for basic principles.

Maybe everyone in the country already does stand for basic principles...whether they speak english or french. The three principles on which Canada was founded and the Charter that binds us....even if the french speaking province didn't sign..it still applies.

Quebec (read: French-Canada) doesn't necessarily stand for the same principles as the rest of Canada. They promote the integration of their foreigners into the French-Canadian culture and way of life, rather than allowing them autonomy and freedom as their own people. The rest of Canada, and Nunavut could be seen as a prime example of this, are willing to embrace other cultures and allow them to realize their lives as they see fit within the boundaries of equal freedom and rights for everyone.

Edited by cybercoma

Babbling? I have my own idea of what is a Newfoundlander.

----

And what is a Newfoundlander, my friend August?

Or do I want to know? ;)

We must stand for basic principles? Such as peace, prosperity, the right to be free and capitalism?

"What does it mean to be English Canadian"

not much, since our government is intent on telling us that we're all equal: hence english, or pakistani or swwahili?- meh ! No such distinctions should be made or count for anything.

Being Canadian means precisely nothing: its just the place where one happens to live at and pay taxes at the moment... such is canadian identity, a multi-racial morass of disconnected individuals, equal in their lack of identity (of course with sacrosanct minorities from the third world being INFINITELY more equal then the despicable racist, eurocentric, bigotted, close minded, Euro canadians, who must pay for the comfort of minorities to make up for real or imagined "historical ills")

isn't that the essence of what multiculturalism preaches?

Identity and advocacy for visible minorities ONLY -rootlessness and no identity for the euro MAJORITY.

WIth preferential rights and treatment of the law for visible minorities (ie: affirmative action, protection from any slander under soviet style "hate speech" legislation, and special human rights tribunal and putting in their place Euro Canadians who are not humbly grateful for the privilege of having their culture made illegal, their people slandered and their history forgotten and disrespected by the thankless and savage anthropoids to whom they are giving their country.

Edited by lictor616