Is it time to de-criminalize Pot posession?

bluegreen

I say lets de-criminalize the right to induce stupidy via chemical means - natural or pharma..we have the right to make ourselves stupid -- China will love it --- and our pot head kids will be stoned and cleaning the toilets of every graduated Asian math wiz that takes over our industry and buisness because our kids were to busy having a good time chuckling all the way to the welfare office.. :lol:

"Following a month of abstinence, men and women who smoked pot at least 5,000 times in their lives performed just as well on psychological tests as people who used pot sparingly or not at all, according to a report in the latest edition of the Archives of General Psychiatry."

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/1.../marijuana.html

There doesn't seem to be a relationship between heavy marijuana use and stupidity/ low intelligence. But for information on the effects of long term alcohol abuse, please refer to the body of Oleg's posts.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Following a month of abstinence, men and women who smoked pot at least 5,000 times in their lives performed just as well on psychological tests as people who used pot sparingly or not at all

Decriminalizing pot is a bit like removing the "month of abstinence"-condition in this study.

Is it time to decriminalize pot?

Of course it is!

Learn from history people. We've been down this prohibition road before, and the alcohol prohibition did not eliminate booze; it only made it more expensive and dangerous to obtain.

Alcohol prohibition spawned organized crime, and after it ended, the Mafia went into the doldrums, having to eek out a marginal existence off of gambling and prostitution for several decades until the market for marijuana and other drugs that were made illegal, provided a new, rich source of profits.

Now, that we are at the point where drug law enforcement is stripping away personal rights here, and drug gangs are close to toppling governments, like in Mexico, and are running the Taliban in Afghanistan, it's "high" time to end prohibition and deal with drug abuse as it should have been handled in the first place -- as a medical and health issue, not a crime issue!

very well said!!!!!

Lets de-criminalize everything! That way we will not have any crimminals - so -then - who do we jail? It won't matter much because we are in one huge jail anyway - might as well get stoned hugh? :rolleyes: Yes siree bub - we really don't have the right to do what we please so might as well do what ever we want - seeing we are already under control - The way I look at it is how can you jail people that live in the finest prison on the planet - Canada - the best !

Is it time to decriminalize pot?

Of course it is!

Learn from history people. We've been down this prohibition road before, and the alcohol prohibition did not eliminate booze; it only made it more expensive and dangerous to obtain.

Alcohol prohibition spawned organized crime, and after it ended, the Mafia went into the doldrums, having to eek out a marginal existence off of gambling and prostitution for several decades until the market for marijuana and other drugs that were made illegal, provided a new, rich source of profits.

Now, that we are at the point where drug law enforcement is stripping away personal rights here, and drug gangs are close to toppling governments, like in Mexico, and are running the Taliban in Afghanistan, it's "high" time to end prohibition and deal with drug abuse as it should have been handled in the first place -- as a medical and health issue, not a crime issue!

Public health issues and their financing are already intractable political issues. It is already tempting for good governments to win reelections by (over)prescribing cheap drugs to patients so that the health statistics can look better. Down this (decriminalizing) road, soon the population may become incapable to find abnormal that a government come to promote drugs. This is what is happening right now in North Korea, the state is distributing cheap heroin to its population.

There doesn't seem to be a relationship between heavy marijuana use and stupidity/ low intelligence. But for information on the effects of long term alcohol abuse, please refer to the body of Oleg's posts.

I think he had the problem with alcohol while his spouse?!??!? .... was a pothead?

Oleg

Lets de-criminalize everything! That way we will not have any crimminals - so -then - who do we jail? It won't matter much because we are in one huge jail anyway - might as well get stoned hugh? rolleyes.gif Yes siree bub - we really don't have the right to do what we please so might as well do what ever we want - seeing we are already under control - The way I look at it is how can you jail people that live in the finest prison on the planet - Canada - the best !

I totaly agree everything should be legalized. If you are smart, you will survive. If you are an idioit .. well... let the chips fall where they may.

I think he had the problem with alcohol while his spouse?!??!? .... was a pothead?

Oleg

I totaly agree everything should be legalized. If you are smart, you will survive. If you are an idioit .. well... let the chips fall where they may.

Hey guys don't talk about me like I am not there - yes I used alcohol with a vigor - but was never a person who would get up with a hang over and drink - I am not brain damaged...and I have sober days - but if I take a drink _ I have a damned drink - as for drugs - did them all - been there done that...in conclution as a wise survivor...all I can tell you is that all alcohol abusers that I knew are all dead - all the heavey drug users I knew ( all 20 of them) are ALL dead....I AM ALIVE.....Now that I have cleared the air of personal insult...let me explain myself to you silly little children.

If my posts seem strange at time it is because - I am imaginative - I am an artist and composer - and not a bad rock player live...spending 5 years assisting my alcoholic brother - who is a screw up - assisting him in his court battle for FIVE SOLID YEARS.....Having to read and comprehend everything - and write and counter everything - made me damned tired mentally ....I had to do the thinking and the creative part for the both of us....what I know for sure is that habitual daily use of ANYTHING- IS ----It is the straight and sober one that carries the load...You can not battle it out with 20 lawyers and 12 judges drunk or stoned....I resent the fact that pot head and drunks will become dead weight - and people like me who know when to put down the bottle and joint - will have to carry your sad asses across the finish line!

Hey guys don't talk about me like I am not there - yes I used alcohol with a vigor - but was never a person who would get up with a hang over and drink - I am not brain damaged...and I have sober days - but if I take a drink _ I have a damned drink - as for drugs - did them all - been there done that...in conclution as a wise survivor...all I can tell you is that all alcohol abusers that I knew are all dead - all the heavey drug users I knew ( all 20 of them) are ALL dead....I AM ALIVE.....Now that I have cleared the air of personal insult...let me explain myself to you silly little children.

If my posts seem strange at time it is because - I am imaginative - I am an artist and composer - and not a bad rock player live...spending 5 years assisting my alcoholic brother - who is a screw up - assisting him in his court battle for FIVE SOLID YEARS.....Having to read and comprehend everything - and write and counter everything - made me damned tired mentally ....I had to do the thinking and the creative part for the both of us....what I know for sure is that habitual daily use of ANYTHING- IS ----It is the straight and sober one that carries the load...You can not battle it out with 20 lawyers and 12 judges drunk or stoned....I resent the fact that pot head and drunks will become dead weight - and people like me who know when to put down the bottle and joint - will have to carry your sad asses across the finish line!

Glad that you have a sense of humour... I could not resist taking that cheap shot at you! But you really do set your ass up for it, sometimes... I will try to show more restraint in the future. I think your posts are fine. Highly varied in scope, funny at times, but fine...

Anyway my point is, let he who is without sin, etc. Theres the drug that is legal and the drug thats illegal. But everyone's taking some. Some people, muslims for instance do not drink alcohol, for a variety of reasons, religious, physical health (some cannot digest it because they lack the enzyme). As a certain judge told my friend in his minor possession case several years ago, "Well, even I need a drink after a hard days work, although I've never smoked pot..." The charges were dropped.

So if there is no other crime committed besides the substance abuse, whats the problem. We all agree that any substance abuse taken to extremes can be harmful to the user. So now all who are on valiums for the past thirty years, raise your hand- its a coping mechanism, a medical problem. Not for the criminal court, and thats my position on it.

Only real problem I see is, now that its been prohibited for so long, if/ when it ever becomes decrim there will be a party across the land, an orgy of rampant and excessive abuse in the short term while users celebrate with complete abandon. I could be wrong... I hope I'm wrong. To answer this one could look at the UK, who downgraded their classification of marijuana, but then about one year later upgraded it back to a controlled substance again. The real reason for this move is not quite clear.

Only real problem I see is, now that its been prohibited for so long, if/ when it ever becomes decrim there will be a party across the land, an orgy of rampant and excessive abuse in the short term while users celebrate with complete abandon. I could be wrong... I hope I'm wrong.

I think you are. Most people have no interest in smoking weed. It makes them feel paranoid and self-conscious and uncomfortable. The other portion of the population--those who actually enjoy it--are already using it.

I think you are. Most people have no interest in smoking weed. It makes them feel paranoid and self-conscious and uncomfortable. The other portion of the population--those who actually enjoy it--are already using it.

Governments with more money to spend will attract the most charismatic gangsters; from there we can imagine them, financing private agencies for some publicity campaigns promoting self-consciousness.

Decriminalization is not the way to go. It does not help end illegal and irresponsible 'grow-ops' that ruin houses and devalue property. It does not deal with access by the underage, it does not deal with 'laced' or tainted product and it offers no accountability for the huge profits that are being made.

That said, legalization is the best way to face the issue, unless you advocate continued prohibition. I heard a bit on the radio from a Canadian Senator (and former RCMP officer) that says our current mindset of prohibition is not working, and legalization was the only logical step.

I haven't read the 21 previous pages, but I am sure that some reference has been made to the California bill that is being proposed. A sensible approach that offers some control of distribution, quality control and large revenues for the gov't.

Decriminalization is not the way to go. It does not help end illegal and irresponsible 'grow-ops' that ruin houses and devalue property.

Decriminalizing pot would allow its production in locations (possibly in southern countries) where this production is more cost effective than inside a house.

Decriminalizing pot would allow its production in locations (possibly in southern countries) where this production is more cost effective than inside a house.

I'm pretty sure most decriminalization scenarios still result in the state trying to disallow the production of pot, everywhere. Decriminalization truly is the silliest option of all. We might as well just leave things the way they are.

I'm pretty sure most decriminalization scenarios still result in the state trying to disallow the production of pot, everywhere. Decriminalization truly is the silliest option of all. We might as well just leave things the way they are.

Only the most efficient producers would be able to see the fines as a kind of royalty payments. This seems quite optimal to me.

Only the most efficient producers would be able to see the fines as a kind of royalty payments. This seems quite optimal to me.

I imagine this would seem quite unjust and unequal to people who want to grow a few pot plants in their gardens so they can make their own marijuana. People who make their own beer don't have to pay a fine or a royalty. What's that all about?

I imagine this would seem quite unjust and unequal to people who want to grow a few pot plants in their gardens so they can make their own marijuana. People who make their own beer don't have to pay a fine or a royalty. What's that all about?

Ownership of a plot of land comes with social responsibilities. You have to sell it when your income is not high enough to pay the tax/fine.

You just don't want to get it do you?

No one gets it - It's all this bull about "natrual" plant - and booze is a violence inducing substance - and pot heads are peaceful peace makers - I look at my youngest son - a brilliant composer and musician - with a fine and exotic young woman at his side - since pot has become part of his life - I see him loosing his career yet to be - I see him loosing her - I see him loosing time and see his dreams drifting into oblivion - and see him take the company of liars and dopers - and people that are not out for his best interest - dope makes you f"""ing stupid. It clouds judgement and impairs the senses - we don't need the shit sold like we do booze - It is just another toxin to intoxicate and poison....I actually hate the stuff - some will surive it and others will be led astray and amount to nothing. Political that insist on the legalization of it are those who's kids are not smokers - the smokers will become the lower cast - and the straight ones will rule..that's a fact and that is your chioce.

No one gets it - It's all this bull about "natrual" plant - and booze is a violence inducing substance - and pot heads are peaceful peace makers - I look at my youngest son - a brilliant composer and musician - with a fine and exotic young woman at his side - since pot has become part of his life - I see him loosing his career yet to be - I see him loosing her - I see him loosing time and see his dreams drifting into oblivion - and see him take the company of liars and dopers - and people that are not out for his best interest - dope makes you f"""ing stupid. It clouds judgement and impairs the senses - we don't need the shit sold like we do booze - It is just another toxin to intoxicate and poison....I actually hate the stuff - some will surive it and others will be led astray and amount to nothing. Political that insist on the legalization of it are those who's kids are not smokers - the smokers will become the lower cast - and the straight ones will rule..that's a fact and that is your chioce.

That pot costs money should be enough to prevent most people to go too deep into some altered mental states. But for the weakest, it is the amount of money and the way it is spent by the government that can prevent the worst from happening.

Edited by benny

That pot costs money should be enough to prevent most people to go too deep into some altered mental states. But for the weakest, it is the amount of money and the way it is spent by the government that can prevent the worst from happening.

A pot habit can be maintained for the same price as a nicotine addiction..unless you are chronic...then you don't eat as well and become sickly. Government spending should be done in the same manner as a wise old uncle handing out cash to his nephews..Judgement - knowledge of the histroy of the reciever must be taken into account - and you must look forward - YOU don't hand out money to get votes - What good is it giving money or spending it to ensure that it brings about re-election - what about actually doing the job you were elected to do - If political were sincere, they would have a more "damn the torpedos" attitude and do what is good and right even if it costs them their careers. Service! When you serve someone it is to make their lives better - not worse...If government invests in certain programs that are a dis-service..that means they are no really in good stead as far as being pubic servants... POT --- booze - pills - etc...are the poor mans vacation and entertainment...we should find something better for the people - but that would actually mean spending money on the people and not for the people.