Which Prime Minister sucked up to the Americans the most?

Which Prime Minister sucked up to the Americans the most?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Time and time again, we had Prime Ministers and governments that listened to and put the American Administration's voice before that of the Canadian people, whether it be Liberal or Conservative. Before the 1970s, the Liberals were mostly in favour of closer ties with the US, with the Tories favouring keeping our British heritage (Diefenbaker comes to mind).

Then, by the 1980s, the parties were completely switched around. The Conservative Party of Mulroney favoured closer ties to the US, while the Liberal party started to adopt a protectionist voice. Despite this, Chretien still signed NAFTA and we are where we are today.

Which Prime Minister (from Laurier to Harper) do you think sucked up and put America's interest before that of Canada's?

Which Prime Minister (from Laurier to Harper) do you think sucked up and put America's interest before that of Canada's?

Yes because any Prime Minister who realizes the importance of our neighbour to the south must be working against the interests of Canadian's. By the way, I voted for Laurier, mostly because he's my favorite PM and the closest thing we've ever had to a libertarian running the country.

Edited by Canadian Blue

Yes because any Prime Minister who realizes the important of our neighbour to the south must be working against the interests of Canadian's. By the way, I voted for Laurier, mostly because he's my favorite PM and the closest thing we've ever had to a libertarian running the country.

I wouldn't call that "sucking up". Trading with the U.S. was for our benefit

I say it was 100% Mulroney. He helped Bush bring in the free trade, he helped Bush sr. get on the board of Barrick Gold, his own daughter married an American, he kept his legal/illegal money in a US bank, so I think Mulroney gets the star for sucking up!

In the interest of full disclosure, what nationality is your toaster?

In the interest of full disclosure, what nationality is your toaster?

I always appreciate your humour Dancer. Topaz reminds me of Wiley Coyote on the Roadrunner show. Every now and then he pops his head up (with the tinfoil and antennae) and he gets run over by a bus or shot out of a cannon or flattened after a 1000 foot freefall - or maybe shot out of a Tim the Toolman powered toaster.

Your reasonings are flawed:

The Prime Ministers that pushed for free trade did it for Canada not just because the US wanted it.

King being friendly with FDR? They were in a war together, and genuinely got along. Because you and your friend get along, does that mean you suck up to him?

Many of your examples show a) common interest, or B) working together. Both of which should occur for two neighbouring, developed countries, that have had over a century of peace and trade and for latter examples decades as Allies. We should work with the US. For sucking up and example would be if after saying no we decided to send troops to Iraq in order to get the the good side of the US.