Canadian Political Polls

It is interesting to note that the CPC's approval rating is slipping though this is to be expected the longer they hold power. ...

From the Aug 28th Toronto Star:

....Harper's personal popularity has taken off with 27 per cent of Canadians preferring him as prime minister compared to 17 per cent for Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff...

When assessing Harper, ...and 38 per cent believe he is intelligent. ...

As for Ignatieff, 52 per cent of respondents believe he's intelligent....

As long as Harper plays to the idiot factor, he'll stay in power.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as Harper plays to the idiot factor, he'll stay in power.

There's scant evidence that idiots vote. Staying in power is actually more a matter of Harper playing to the old and less educated.

Ekos broke down the question "If a federal election were held tomorrow, which party would you vote for?" by factors such as age and gender. Of those who answered Conservative Party of Canada,

21% were less than 25 years of age

31% were 25-44

41% were 45-64

45% were 65 or older

37% had no more than high school education

33% had university education

http://www.ekospolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/full_report_december_17.pdf

There's scant evidence that idiots vote. Staying in power is actually more a matter of Harper playing to the old and less educated.

Ekos broke down the question "If a federal election were held tomorrow, which party would you vote for?" by factors such as age and gender. Of those who answered Conservative Party of Canada,

21% were less than 25 years of age

31% were 25-44

41% were 45-64

45% were 65 or older

37% had no more than high school education

33% had university education

http://www.ekospolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/full_report_december_17.pdf

So what does this mean? The older and more experienced tend to vote Tory and the younger,more naive voters prefer other parties?

As for the education level, how can we make any comparison without knowing what percentage of ALL voters had whatever level of education?

What it means is that the Conservatives are in deep crap. Their support limits have been defined, and they are at the top of the scale.

The CPC may be at the top of the scale but the Ekos polls are the least reliable. I still see the CPC within the margin of error for a Majority. Problem with the Ekos poll is prompting and substanstial error of 50% on the Green Party polling figures.

Wow! The gender gap is HUGE! Far bigger than I expected.

I don't see much change! Sadly, it still appears that we are a very divided, regionalistic people. This means that there is ZERO chance of pleasing everybody!

This is not a problem if you are looking at the national popular vote but when it breaks down so strongly into regions I believe it's very unhealthy. Various regions end up unhappy for generations! It's inevitable that sooner or later the feeling changes to "Screw it! It will always be this way! Our only choice is to leave!"

I would feel much better if the Liberals held a smattering of seats across the West and the CPC showed better in Quebec. The breakdown regionally is just too intense to foster a strong feeling of unity.

The PC's split the country when Brian became insane and forced the creation of the Bloc. It was a game changer in the worst way. The current partisan factions have ideological differences designed to exploit the demographics of citizens and are so currently formulated to preclude much of a chance for a majority. Having said that, there is a very real possibility that party mergers are in the wings waiting to manifest their reality.

The PC's split the country when Brian became insane and forced the creation of the Bloc. It was a game changer in the worst way. The current partisan factions have ideological differences designed to exploit the demographics of citizens and are so currently formulated to preclude much of a chance for a majority. Having said that, there is a very real possibility that party mergers are in the wings waiting to manifest their reality.

I dunno, Jerry. If parties practiced free votes I might agree that party mergers could lead to a better situation. However, they don't! The Whip says "Jump!" and the caucus says "How high?". Period and end of story.

So mergers would only reduce the number of choices for all the various demographics, leaving more and more people without a party that's a good match for their values.

Wouldn't fewer choices heighten frustration, rather than reducing it?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/story.html?id=1135891

The Liberal recovery post-Dion has been substantial and we have not even see a day in the House with Ignatieff at the helm.

Let's see if Harper tries to insert some poison into the budget as some still think we will try. I believe he wants an election before a large deficit is produced on his watch.

A 50 billion deficit isn't large?

I don't see much change! Sadly, it still appears that we are a very divided, regionalistic people. This means that there is ZERO chance of pleasing everybody!

Nonetheless the change is all around you. I see this poll as good news. It looks like a natural expression of proportional representation to me. Canadians are not divided on their determination to be represented as they see fit which appears to be more or less proportionally along regional lines. The divisions are completely natural in fact, they're not just regional but bio-regional - bordered by change breaks in the land and water-scape, climate and of course along cultural lines.

This is not a problem if you are looking at the national popular vote but when it breaks down so strongly into regions I believe it's very unhealthy. Various regions end up unhappy for generations! It's inevitable that sooner or later the feeling changes to "Screw it! It will always be this way! Our only choice is to leave!"

I would feel much better if the Liberals held a smattering of seats across the West and the CPC showed better in Quebec. The breakdown regionally is just too intense to foster a strong feeling of unity.

You think you're frustrated and un-pleased...what about the old established parties that refuse to embrace the horror and pine away for the days of old while pleading with Canadians to come back to their senses? The establishment is clearly divided as to what to do and it has long estranged itself from ordinary Canadians. Amongst other things voter turnout has been screaming this message for years now. If it stays this way for much longer separatism will be the next natural evolution.

Canadians are leading the country and its time the government got out of the way and followed for a while. Provincial governments and parties take note.

Edited by eyeball

I dunno, Jerry. If parties practiced free votes I might agree that party mergers could lead to a better situation. However, they don't! The Whip says "Jump!" and the caucus says "How high?". Period and end of story.

So mergers would only reduce the number of choices for all the various demographics, leaving more and more people without a party that's a good match for their values.

Wouldn't fewer choices heighten frustration, rather than reducing it?

I do not mean to say that mergers will be a good thing at all. I do mean to say that it seems to me that such things would make the way toward a majority government more likely.

I do not mean to say that mergers will be a good thing at all. I do mean to say that it seems to me that such things would make the way toward a majority government more likely.

A merger might also make minority governments more stable and acceptable to Canadians, but I guess it would have to be too bad so sad for the old party guard's who can't stand the notion.

In Canada, the Standing Orders of the Commons could be amended to provide for the selection by majority vote of the person who has the support of the members to assume the position of head of government.

The vote would be held at the start of a new Parliament after the vote for speaker, and any time during the life of a Parliament that the position of prime minister becomes vacant.

To avoid any constitutional concerns, the vote could be framed as a recommendation to the governor-general. The change wouldn't interfere with the real powers enjoyed by the governor-general but would significantly reduce the powers exercised (and abused) by an incumbent prime minister in the name of the governor-general.

It would clarify the relationship between the PM, cabinet and elected representatives of the people, a matter around which there was a great deal of confusion last year.

Source

One the PM, the Cabinet and elected representatives get it straight, perhaps we could begin clarifying the relationship between these and the people that are supposedly, somehow actually being represented.

A merger might also make minority governments more stable and acceptable to Canadians, but I guess it would have to be too bad so sad for the old party guard's who can't stand the notion.

Source

One the PM, the Cabinet and elected representatives get it straight, perhaps we could begin clarifying the relationship between these and the people that are supposedly, somehow actually being represented.

Don't hold your breath waiting for it. These guys can simply write new legislation to cover their every move. I would suggest that the best way to tackle these folks is to exercise a little self control and suffer through a little active planning to formulate a functional approach to resolving these ongoing issues.

One way to deal with the problems is to claim ownership of a tax revolt. That little gem can be leveraged to the nines using existing legislation. Once the ball is rolling you can effectively wrestle control of the nations revenue streams from the government! You will get their attention that way .

Don't hold your breath waiting for it.

I'm not, I'm just wondering how long it will be until the gig is up and someone seriously entertains separation as an option.

I would suggest that the best way to tackle these folks is to exercise a little self control and suffer through a little active planning to formulate a functional approach to resolving these ongoing issues.

Patience my hairy ass...

One way to deal with the problems is to claim ownership of a tax revolt. That little gem can be leveraged to the nines using existing legislation. Once the ball is rolling you can effectively wrestle control of the nations revenue streams from the government! You will get their attention that way .

How do ordinary Canadians do that when their taxes are deducted at source?

I'm not, I'm just wondering how long it will be until the gig is up and someone seriously entertains separation as an option.

Patience my hairy ass...

How do ordinary Canadians do that when their taxes are deducted at source?

First of all you can reduce your source deductions on request from your employer. Secondly you can contest your tax load with the CRA by with holding any taxes in dispute pending resolution. Every citizen is allowed to arrange their financial affairs in a manner that would result in the least amount of tax being paid.