Canadian Political Polls

Over the past 24 months, their 2012 lead has changed five times. The last lead change was in December. Were you calling them Conservative "boosters" in 2008?

Actually, I don't call them much of anything! Anyone making predictions that far out doesn't strike me as at all scientific. I really don't see much reason to pay any attention to them.

What's more, your implication that I would be partisan in my opinion is wasted on me. If you've been reading my posts for any length of time you would have seen that I'm much more objective than that! I support the Tories only because I find the other choices worse! I'm always willing to throw mud at the Conservatives if I feel they deserve it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crop Poll Quebec

If someone with good French skills could translate ... it is a leadership poll and a party poll.

translation courtesy of the google toolbar....

(Quebec) The federal Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff, has lost a lot of feathers in Quebec and his party continued its long slide in popular support after the confrontation in the riding of Outremont and the resignation of Denis Coderre.

The latest CROP poll shows that for a month, the odds of Michael Ignatieff bluntly nose down in Quebec. In late September, 28% of Quebecers saw him as the best prime minister of Canada, they numbered only 20% now.

Stephen Harper makes on-site - from 23 to 25% in one month, its highest score since his reelection, however, minority last year. Ironically it is Jack Layton, NDP leader, who leads the pack with a single point, however, with 26% support.

In terms of voting intentions, the LPC in Quebec seems to have returned to the hours of Stéphane Dion. The party of Mr. Ignatieff would have been 23% of the votes in Quebec, one point less than the result of Stéphane Dion in the elections of October 14, 2008.

The Bloc Quebecois and the NDP are recipe. The advantage of Gilles Duceppe up four points to 37%, the score of the last elections. The NDP, he, rising three points to 16%, four points higher than his result in the ballot box in October 2008.

Yesterday, Michael Ignatieff has decided to give a great sweep to his office.

CTV reported last night that Mr. Ignatieff has fired his chief of staff, Ian Davey, and appointed the formidable communicator Peter Donolo this sensitive post. Mr. Donolo is currently leading a research firm in Toronto, Strategic Council.

Mr. Ignatieff could also replace his communications director, Jill Fairbrother, who is the spouse of Mr. Davey, according to reports circulating last night.

The couple Faibrother-Davey has been criticized by Liberal MPs privately in recent months.

With Joel-Denis Bellavance

Crop Poll Quebec

If someone with good French skills could translate ... it is a leadership poll and a party poll.

Who would make the best Prime Minister:

1) Ignatieff has fallen from 28% at the end of September to 20%.

2) Harper has increased from 23% to 25%

3) Jack Layton (!!) leads at 26%

Voting Intentions:

1) Liberals have fallen to 23% - 1 point less than Stephane Dion in the last election

2) Bloc are up 4 points at 37% from last election

3) NDP are up 3 points at 16% from last election

4) It doesn't say how the Conservatives are faring

A new poll by CROP in La Presse shows Layton is now Quebecers top choice for PM. He gets 26%, Harper 25% and Iggy 20%!! Good old Jack a Quebec break through might be what takes the NDP from 4th to 2nd. Could happen if Iggy keeps it up "I support Green policies..................wait I need to vote against the NDP bill...........................I don't support green policies." Iggy looks foolish all the time.

Know what make the Liberals look less foolish? If the party who has less then half the seats as them isn't doing 5 times the amount of work they do. NDP does work while Liberals get in the way of progressive politics.

A new poll by CROP in La Presse shows Layton is now Quebecers top choice for PM.

Won't translate..into seats. Most Quebecers find the PND to be amusing at best.

The results of the poll can be explained this way

They know Duceppe will never be PM

They don't know Ignatieff or undertsand him

They don't trust Harper

Ergo...Jack Layton is your sister*

Who you take to the dance cause no one else will go with you

In the end they will vote BQ, PLC, or CPC....and the NDP will be tied with the Greens or beaten by the Neo Rhinos

Won't translate..into seats. Most Quebecers find the PND to be amusing at best.

The results of the poll can be explained this way

They know Duceppe will never be PM

They don't know Ignatieff or undertsand him

They don't trust Harper

Ergo...Jack Layton is your sister*

Who you take to the dance cause no one else will go with you

In the end they will vote BQ, PLC, or CPC....and the NDP will be tied with the Greens or beaten by the Neo Rhinos

12.2% Last election while the Greens got what in Quebec? 3.5%? This upward trend of the NDP is scaring Liberals because they are leaning the wrong way for Quebec Politics. There Pro War leader probably doesn't play well in the only province which Opposed the the Second World War, the First World War and the Korean War. Sorry War does not play well in Quebec and like it or not Federalist got one options with Iggy and Harper leading their parties.

It scares Liberals I know so they try to play the dismiss game, "The NDP will never win" well neither will the Liberals polling at 24% so why waste your vote on them when they don't even stand for your beliefs. It wont work this time.

Actually, I rather like the numbers. I think that my party has to lose bad and go into opposition of a minority before they can ever be fixed.

If that happens, I think it is it for the party.

We will see only two major parties then. It is the day I drop out of the process.

This wont be the first time that the Liberals have been beaten down so that they could get up again. I don't think this time will be any different. I won't cut up my membership card yet (I just got a shiny new one after all), but I think the best I can do right now is vote against the current direction of the party.

This wont be the first time that the Liberals have been beaten down so that they could get up again.

I have seen two party politics in Manitoba. It brings out the worst in the province when there was only two choices.

Edited by jdobbin

Latest Ekos poll:

http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2009/10/28/ekos-poll.html

Among decided respondents, the Conservatives drew 38.4 per cent support, followed by the Liberals at 26.8 per cent and the New Democratic Party at 16.7 per cent.

The Green Party had the support of 9.9 per cent of decided respondents, while the Bloc Québécois had 8.2 per cent support, according to the EKOS poll, which was released exclusively to CBC.

I figure Ignatieff has about three months to right the ship.

I hope Harper waits until the spring at least before calling an election. Ignatieff isn't going anywhere soon and his numbers aren't either.

The danger for the Tories, of course, it is difficult to ride high in the polls given the unexpected. One disaster that is poorly responded to can be a gamechanger.

I find it hard to believe that Harper won't be the one choosing the election time. And the longer he waits, the greater the danger that is catches his government when they are down rather than up.

I figure Ignatieff has about three months to right the ship.

The problem is that Iggy choose to target the NDP and thought they could put the squeeze on Layton and crush the NDP support for their leader.....

And this is the result of that failed strategy.

EKOS also asked Canadians their thoughts on the leadership of Stephen Harper, Michael Ignatieff and Jack Layton, asking if any of the three should be removed immediately as leader of their respective party.

On Jack Layton, 51 per cent of respondents indicated they thought Layton should remain at the helm of the NDP, while 25 per cent said he should be replaced.

Layton had the high-water mark of support among the three leaders. On Harper, 45 per cent said he should stay, while 40 per cent said he should be replaced.

Michael Ignatieff's support was the weakest: 31 per cent of respondents said he should stay, while 46 per cent said he should go.

That's what happens when a leader looks down and not up.

While he holds a minority that is not exactly altogether his choice to make. Even so the numbers don't really favour the opposition pulling the plug.

It is easily done, all he has to do is introduce legislation to eliminate the subsidies to political parties.

It will really put the Liberal and NDP feet to the fire........we could be treated to the most hypocritical and prolonged verbal tapdance in history by Layton and Ignatieff......

It is easily done, all he has to do is introduce legislation to eliminate the subsidies to political parties.

It will really put the Liberal and NDP feet to the fire........we could be treated to the most hypocritical and prolonged verbal tapdance in history by Layton and Ignatieff......

The Liberals can live without it out now given the change in their ability to raise money.

However, I can imagine it would look bad for Harper who promised not to do it again.

Edited by jdobbin

The problem is that Iggy choose to target the NDP and thought they could put the squeeze on Layton and crush the NDP support for their leader.....

And this is the result of that failed strategy.

The idea was not to be seen as supporting the government every time. The results could very well have looked like what we see now if they had supported the government back in September. I can imagine the NDP would have voted against the EI legislation then.

That's what happens when a leader looks down and not up.

I guess if you're lucky, you will see the end of the Liberal party.

Must be Poll week

Nova Scotia warming up to Harper

Harper received 30 per cent support, up 10 points from September. NDP Leader Jack Layton came second at 24 per cent, with Michael Igantieff of the Liberals slipping seven points to third at 19 per cent. Green Party Leader Elizabeth May had eight per cent support.
The survey gives the NDP 34 per cent support in Nova Scotia federally, followed by the Liberals (33), Conservatives (30) and Greens (three).